Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Matchday Magazine Revamped for 2013

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

Good guess,s but wrong imo
Posted Image

#42 Penola

Penola
  • 600 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

Great programme. I had loads of these, from my dad as they went on for a few years. The Batley ones with the Slalolm Lager sponsors and the Phoenix were great. Someone must have some of these. (I was too young to drink Slalolm Lager - was it any good?)

The player on the front looks like Peter Shilton - is it Fred Ward or Drew Broach?

I hope the crowd on Sunday is like the one on the programme - looks like a great atmosphere!

Whatever happened to our posts from Elland Road - the ones with the green and white hoops, the MWF crossbar and the little turrets on each post? Always remember they were always on the telly on Grandstand for GB matches at ER. Made me feel proud each time I saw them!

#43 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:49 AM

Hey Blackpool- you forgot to show that this Sundays game is a Championship fixture.
Thinking back don't think the player on the cover was moddled on anyone-- if it was it must have been one from the Greyhouind stadium days-- BOB PICKLES ?
The tuning fork posts were made by a company in Morley owned by a Hunslet Director at the time-- forget his name but he's on the photograph in the Pheonix Bar which shows our entire playing squad with the trophies we'd won, and taken at Elland Road. I remember the day it was taken as we were all told to wash behind our ears and comb our hair..

#44 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 877 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

Looks like a backrower to me, I'm going for a young Jimmy Crampton.

I have the programs from the time at Batley in the loft, when I get chance I'll fetch one down and scan the front cover in.

From memory the tuning fork posts had to come down after we had been promoted and spent a year in the First Division. They had been fine all through the time we spent in Division Two, but we took some big scalps at home when we went up - Hull AND Hull KR, St Helens, Castleford, Wakefield. In the usual "big club style", somebody took exception to us beating them and complained to the Rugby League, saying something like "the defence didn't know where the tryline was without the bases of the posts to guide them".

Must have been a faster game than we remembered in those days if the defence didn't get chance to glance down to see the actual tryline itself ... :wacko:

#45 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,463 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:23 AM

Hey Blackpool- you forgot to show that this Sundays game is a Championship fixture.
Thinking back don't think the player on the cover was moddled on anyone-- if it was it must have been one from the Greyhouind stadium days-- BOB PICKLES ?
The tuning fork posts were made by a company in Morley owned by a Hunslet Director at the time-- forget his name but he's on the photograph in the Pheonix Bar which shows our entire playing squad with the trophies we'd won, and taken at Elland Road. I remember the day it was taken as we were all told to wash behind our ears and comb our hair..

Not like you Frisky to try pick up on a negative :rolleyes:

Programme has the Championship logo on bottom left

Edited by Blackpool Hawk, 31 January 2013 - 08:26 AM.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#46 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,463 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

If anyone wants us to use a programme, please dont scan it yourselves, we have to scan in High res to make sure it prints to a good enough standard. So drop in the club office and we will scan it.

Edited by Blackpool Hawk, 31 January 2013 - 08:25 AM.

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#47 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

Well done Frisky , Bob Pickles
Posted Image

#48 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

KOL thinking back I always took the copy for these programmes to a printers in Meanwood who Ronnie Teeman or Jerry Mason knew and I believe they designed the cover, of course they could have used a rugby player as the model.
The printers definately designed the blue and yellow Hunslet at United cover which I didn't see until they were delivered to the ground.

#49 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

The programme from the LEEDS game sold on e-bay for £3.87 to a customer in YORK.
Have just listed the one from the BARROW game.

#50 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,463 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

The programme from the LEEDS game sold on e-bay for £3.87 to a customer in YORK.
Have just listed the one from the BARROW game.

Great work Frisky another £3.87 in the club coffers!

#51 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

HOPE YOU ARE LISTING THEM ON E-BAY AS I ADVISED YOU LAST SEASON.

#52 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,463 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

HOPE YOU ARE LISTING THEM ON E-BAY AS I ADVISED YOU LAST SEASON.

Hope you are still giving your profits to the club like you said you would last season?

#53 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

I sure am -- used £52 last June to pay for a annual HAWKS lifeline membership with the promise repeated again now that I will give 50% of any thing I win to the club.
In my morning paper yesterdays attendance was given as 4919--- looks like our media manager as been doing some creative accounting.

#54 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,463 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

I sure am -- used £52 last June to pay for a annual HAWKS lifeline membership with the promise repeated again now that I will give 50% of any thing I win to the club.
In my morning paper yesterdays attendance was given as 4919--- looks like our media manager as been doing some creative accounting.

That's what you get for reading the Daily Sport Barry ;)

#55 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,463 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

This Sundays retro cover, can anyone guess the year of the original?

Posted Image

#56 Penola

Penola
  • 600 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

1984?

#57 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:48 AM

these covers were designed by a guy at the printers we used,
and Blackpool- how about using one from our Elland Road days which showed a diesel locomotive with the HUNSLET nameplate and printed in Chocolate and White ?

#58 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,463 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:34 AM

these covers were designed by a guy at the printers we used,
and Blackpool- how about using one from our Elland Road days which showed a diesel locomotive with the HUNSLET nameplate and printed in Chocolate and White ?

Drop a good quality one in to the office on Sunday Frisky and il make sure we do for the next home game.

#59 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

I don't have any-- brought them all down to the club years ago and gave them to Big Al-- I last saw them in a filing cabinet in the back office-- mentioned this to Pat B so she may have sold them.
Someone , somewhere may have a copy that they could let you have.

#60 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,463 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

I don't have any-- brought them all down to the club years ago and gave them to Big Al-- I last saw them in a filing cabinet in the back office-- mentioned this to Pat B so she may have sold them.
Someone , somewhere may have a copy that they could let you have.

Il ask Darren im sure they will still be there.

Also Just a thought when we play York this season it's 40 years since the last game played at Parkside ironically also against York. so if anyone has that programme we would love to use it for the game as we are hoping to have a players reunion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users