Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

New NRL CEO David Smith gives in-depth interview about biggest issues facing rugby league.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

New NRL boss David Smith offers his first one-on-one interview with Sunday Telegraph Sports Editor David Riccio. He talks about his goals, John Grant and growing the game

You start next Friday, what's the first thing you will do as NRL CEO?

Read more: http://www.foxsports...1#ixzz2JAVey0LK

He has a pretty good pedigree and should do well.

#2 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

I was with him all the way until this.

"You've worked around the world and watched different sports. Is international rugby league where it should be?
Absolutely"

I do agree with this though.

"What it says is we're starting from a strong base. There is nothing I've seen from any other code that can match the competitiveness of rugby league. Since 1998, I think 13 of the 16 teams have reached the grand final and every team has been in the finals the past four years. That's a massive strength."

What's the SL comparison?

rldfsignature.jpg

#3 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

"You've worked around the world and watched different sports. Is international rugby league where it should be?
Absolutely"

I do agree with this though.

"What it says is we're starting from a strong base. There is nothing I've seen from any other code that can match the competitiveness of rugby league. Since 1998, I think 13 of the 16 teams have reached the grand final and every team has been in the finals the past four years. That's a massive strength."

Maybe he was being realistic :D and did not want to be negative in a World Cup year.
I think he is still getting his head around things at this stage.

#4 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

Absolutely"

Yes, does sound a little bit complacent.
Even a few words bout it being a priority would have been helpful.

Australia are the ones with the money (for now) and its up to them to lead the way.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#5 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

Just to be clear, competitiveness of Super League compared to any other code:

Super League Grand Finals (since 1998): 4 winners from 6 finalists. 4 total champions from 22 teams during SL era.

Scottish Premier League Titles: 2 champions from 19 teams since formation (1998-99).
Premier League Titles: 4 champions from 43 teams during SL era (since 1996-97 season).
Celtic League Grand Finals (2001-03, 2009-current): 3 winners from 4 finalists. 5 total champions since formation (2001-02) from 15 teams since Welsh regionalisation (2003-04 season).

English Premiership Grand Finals (since 2000): 6 winners from 9 finalists. 7 total champions from 21 teams during SL era.

#6 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

Some gentle pressure should be applied with the convicts, it's in all our long term interests for the international game to thrive. The Aussies should set up a southern hem dev federation, like what we have up north. They should be taking the game to Japan china etc. bring back lions tours and give the game back the profile it deserves

#7 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,663 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

biggest issues facing rugby league? Hardly...he didn't mention single-season points-based P and R once!

#8 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

Super League Grand Finals (since 1998): 4 winners from 6 finalists. 4 total champions from 22 teams during SL era.

Scottish Premier League Titles: 2 champions from 19 teams since formation (1998-99).
Premier League Titles: 4 champions from 43 teams during SL era (since 1996-97 season).
Celtic League Grand Finals (2001-03, 2009-current): 3 winners from 4 finalists. 5 total champions since formation (2001-02) from 15 teams since Welsh regionalisation (2003-04 season).

English Premiership Grand Finals (since 2000): 6 winners from 9 finalists. 7 total champions from 21 teams during SL era.

I don't think your post was very clear. It had a few stats but no real clear point behind them.

#9 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:55 AM

Some gentle pressure should be applied with the convicts, it's in all our long term interests for the international game to thrive. The Aussies should set up a southern hem dev federation, like what we have up north. They should be taking the game to Japan china etc. bring back lions tours and give the game back the profile it deserves

The two things that have damaged the International game are the long domestic seasons and the lack of any success by England or France for more than many can remember.

#10 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:30 AM

Just to be clear, point taken but two wrongs don't make a right.

rldfsignature.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users