internationalsEngland Australia New Zealand bored humour me

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,716 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

With the predicted movement of more and more English players to the NRL, can we start to think about England playing mid-season games in the southern hemisphere?

The Exiles game hasn't taken off (although I think the game at Warrington this year will be a success) and the teams are likely to weaken over the next few years precisely because the NRL is becoming more attractive for our top players. And of course the best Aussie and Kiwi players are likely to remain down under if that's where the cash is. So with no enthusiasm for games against France or Wales we'll need to look elsewhere for that all-important preparation for the big end of season series.

We all remember the 64-10 humiliation but the game is changing with the NRL's fattening wallet and jetlag can't be an issue when most of the England team are playing in Australia.

I reckon we'll start to see calls for these fixtures before too long and with the World Cup increasing demand for international rugby I think they'll happen within a few years.
There's no dignity in plastic seats

#2 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

I reckon theres room for an England V NZ series around SOO time, in NZ.. but anything like this would again be dictated by the NRL, as it usually seems to be..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#3 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

With the predicted movement of more and more English players to the NRL, can we start to think about England playing mid-season games in the southern hemisphere?

The Exiles game hasn't taken off (although I think the game at Warrington this year will be a success) and the teams are likely to weaken over the next few years precisely because the NRL is becoming more attractive for our top players. And of course the best Aussie and Kiwi players are likely to remain down under if that's where the cash is. So with no enthusiasm for games against France or Wales we'll need to look elsewhere for that all-important preparation for the big end of season series.

We all remember the 64-10 humiliation but the game is changing with the NRL's fattening wallet and jetlag can't be an issue when most of the England team are playing in Australia.
I'd personally like to see it replace the exiles match, a one off test against Australia or the kiwis would be great in Brisbane and Auckland. You'd have too have the bulk of the squad made up of super league players and that's were the trouble would arise from, from super league clubs losing their best players mid season.

I reckon we'll start to see calls for these fixtures before too long and with the World Cup increasing demand for international rugby I think they'll happen within a few years.

I'd like too see it replace the none event that is the exiles series. But you'd have to have the bulk of the squad made up of super league players and that's where the trouble would arise from, with super league clubs complaining about losing their best players during the season. But one-off tests in Brisbane and Auckland against the Aussies and kiwis would be fantastic.

Edited by walter sobchak, 27 January 2013 - 01:33 PM.

#4 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

I am not sure how many English players will move to the NRL.
Australia in recent years has just picked the ones and all forwards at the top of the game.
The Burgess Brothers have more to do with Rusty Crowe and his cash than anything else, it would not have happened at any other NRL Club I can think of, he has been trying to sell his shares in Souths for some time with no luck.
That leaves Ellis who left early and Jammer who will struggle to live down the end of last season.
There are no quality English backs at all other then the NRL built ones.

Its hard to say how the English imports will go in the future but the problem is the NRL will only want the best at their peak and that is only Tomkins and Hall that will be offered good contracts.

Contrary to popular opinion even if they were not on long term deals I doubt Roby or Sinfield would be offered more in the NRL than they get in SL, they are big fish in a small pond, that would not be the same in Oz.

#5 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,716 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

Its hard to say how the English imports will go in the future but the problem is the NRL will only want the best at their peak and that is only Tomkins and Hall that will be offered good contracts.

Contrary to popular opinion even if they were not on long term deals I doubt Roby or Sinfield would be offered more in the NRL than they get in SL, they are big fish in a small pond, that would not be the same in Oz.

Well you've just named Hall and Tomkins as English backs who could land a deal! There's talk of Tom Briscoe too.

You'll get the best at their peak- money talks.

I'm not sure exactly how it will pan out and I can't see a time when all the best English players will be in the NRL (you've got to take things like families and form into consideration) but as it becomes a well trodden path for both clubs and players, I expect to see a decent enough chunk of our national side turning out in the NRL to make these mid-season internationals possible.
There's no dignity in plastic seats

#6 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:53 AM

Well you've just named Hall and Tomkins as English backs who could land a deal! There's talk of Tom Briscoe too.

You'll get the best at their peak- money talks.

I'm not sure exactly how it will pan out and I can't see a time when all the best English players will be in the NRL (you've got to take things like families and form into consideration) but as it becomes a well trodden path for both clubs and players, I expect to see a decent enough chunk of our national side turning out in the NRL to make these mid-season internationals possible.

Not sure about Tom Briscoe or which NRL club is supposed to be looking at him, its supposed to be Cronulla, if he was moving he should have arrived in Oz already.
I have not seen much of him other than his Test matches against Australia.

#7 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:41 AM

Not sure about Tom Briscoe or which NRL club is supposed to be looking at him, its supposed to be Cronulla, if he was moving he should have arrived in Oz already.
I have not seen much of him other than his Test matches against Australia.

I think Tom briscoe's contract runs out at the end of the 2013 season, so any specualtion or deal struck with cronulla or any other NRL club would be from 2014 onwards.

#8 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

mid season england games down under are never going to happen...

but with the number of english & england qualified players growing in the NRL we really need to look at setting up some "team england" training camps down under that mirror the england training camps we have up here during the season.....

over time,when we have enough players to put out a team,we could put these players to use in somekind of 'england exiles' team and have a mid season hit out against the likes of png or a island nation..

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#9 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

mid season england games down under are never going to happen...

but with the number of english & england qualified players growing in the NRL we really need to look at setting up some "team england" training camps down under that mirror the england training camps we have up here during the season.....

over time,when we have enough players to put out a team,we could put these players to use in somekind of 'england exiles' team and have a mid season hit out against the likes of png or a island nation..

Is that New Zealand?
I have been to most of these "Islands" many times, most of their players live in Australia and play in the lower grades.

#10 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

bit of a ignorant comment mate :lol:

OLDHAM RLFC

#11 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

bit of a ignorant comment mate :lol:

Which "Island" is the Oz exiles going to play then?
There is no structure in any of the "Islands" they are third world basic countries,

#12 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

you do know tonga,samoa,fiji & the cook islands all have national teams don't you?? they are even playing in this years world cup!

OLDHAM RLFC

#13 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

you do know tonga,samoa,fiji & the cook islands all have national teams don't you?? they are even playing in this years world cup!

I have been to many but not all of those Island nations.
The Teams is made up mainly of Aussie or Kiwi residents.
Those Island nations are the equivalent of the Isle of Man, Guernsey and Gibraltar.
Basic countries with barely any means at all that rely on charity from Oz and NZ to feed themselves.

#14 brooza

brooza
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

What a load of rubbish.
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: internationalsEngland, Australia, New Zealand, bored, humour me

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users