Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

35 Days To Go!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 oldham13

oldham13
  • Coach
  • 706 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

​35 days until the first competitive match

Only 35 days of the off season left................

Two opportunities to see the new look squad in Feb against a Salford select side and the of course the Law Cup against our oldest rivals Rochdale.

The train spotters cup, Well....Stay injury free and focus on the league.

What will the 2013 season bring??? (Promotion)

1) At this stage having reviewed the other Championship one sides off season signings, I would say it will be a three horse race for the title.

The three contenders will be Oldham, Rochdale and league favorites North Wales.

2) Playoff places will go London, who can not be discounted for a good run in the playoffs, can they make the final? , not sure but watch out in the capital, they will continue to progress, 4th or 5th in 2013.
South Wales will make the play offs.

3) Three new clubs enter the league, Gateshead will make up the bottom four with the other new clubs. The new clubs may make the playoffs but the first season is always difficult. Oxford have recruited experience from Oldham and they could pick points home and away against the other new clubs and Gateshead. Gloucester and Hamel have unknown qualities at this time, all the new clubs will provide strong opposition for 60 mins of the game but experience and fitness will favour the established clubs but did not discount the odd shock by the new clubs at home.

The Championship will be a very good league to watch in 2013, 14 teams with strong competition across the board. Oldham need to be in that league by 2014.......

4) The noises coming out of the training ground are that SN and LS have entirely changed the attitude at the club, the players and training. They have recruited young talent from Salford, I would be slightly happier if we had a little more experience but the squad is looking balanced if slightly tipped in the favour of youth.

5) In my opinion, We should have retained Alex Thompson, Oxford is a backwards step but if he didn't want to stay you can not make them stay.

35 days to go and counting........................................

League positions predictions

1) North Wales (Head decision) Oldham (Heart Decision)
2) Oldham (Head Decision) North Wales (Heart Decision)
3) Rochdale
4) London Skolars
5) South Wales
6) Oxford
7) Gloucester All Golds
8) Gateshead
9) Hamel

Come on Oldham

Go and watch Oldham RLFC in 2013, support the team, players, coaches and supporters. We can cheer the boys to victory.

We Are Oldham Roughyeds

#2 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 627 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

Just hope we don't get too far in the challenge cup. It was all down hill after the saints game last year. Seemed to take everything out of us.

#3 Ex-scrumhalf

Ex-scrumhalf
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

Just hope we don't get too far in the challenge cup. It was all down hill after the saints game last year. Seemed to take everything out of us.

The biggest mistake of all happened a year or two earlier when we played Wakefield on the Sunday, got a physical battering then played and lost at Gateshead three days later. It cost us promotion that year which had we been promoted could,have seen us keeping Bill Quinn on board and seeing us making more money than we did by staying in the pointless cup.

#4 PooingDog

PooingDog
  • Coach
  • 999 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

Oldham13...I'd be interested in knowing why you think North Wales will finish above you and Hornets.

I'd of had....

1) Hornets or Oldham
2) Hornets or Oldham
3) North Wales
4) Skolars or South Wales
5) Skolars or South Wales
6) The rest with Gateshead and Hemel fav' for 6th.
Memento mori

Who cares -Wins!!!

Carpe Cerevisi

AKA. Winston Smith

Give 'em a fair trial..........and then hang 'em"

#5 oldham13

oldham13
  • Coach
  • 706 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

Hi, Mr PD

I think North Wales have a strong team this season with a couple of experienced Super League players in their ranks.

They will be strong at home and difficult to beat. they only need to grab a win at Oldham or Rochdale and the race for top spot is wide open. I still think Oldham, Rochdale and North Wales will take the top three places.

I would like to see both Oldham and Rochdale in the Championship were we belong.

Good luck for the season (Not against Oldham tho) ha ha!

We Are Oldham Roughyeds

#6 mackin89

mackin89
  • Coach
  • 129 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

Buzzing for the start of the season, thinking about getting a premier sports subscription.

Any one got one and hows the quality?

Also I don't know if its just the new layout but the Roughyeds coverage in the MEN seems a lot better and up to date than it used to and provides some different stories to the press releases put in the chron.

http://www.mancheste...t/rugby-league/

#7 TOSH1960

TOSH1960
  • Coach
  • 424 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

I am looking forward to seeing the new squad in action. Training has been going well and both friendlies could be really interesting. Thanks for pointing out the MEN reports as i only get the Chron.

#8 m brooksy

m brooksy
  • Coach
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

Hold off getting Premier Sports for another week as by then you should know if they have the NRL rights. If they get the rights they will show 8 games a week so it would be well worth it if they receive the rights.

#9 mackin89

mackin89
  • Coach
  • 129 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

cheers will do!

#10 Godzilla

Godzilla
  • Players
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

I subscribed to Premier Sports last season and the coverage was really good, Dave Woods and Brian Noble in particular worked well together and having the video ref decisions explained worked well.

#11 Tony Mac

Tony Mac
  • Coach
  • 542 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

Appreciate it if someone could post when it is confirmed, or otherwise, that Premier Sports have the rights so I can decide on whether to subscribe.

Many thanks

Tony Mac

Nobody believes the official spokesman, but everybody trusts an unidentified source.

#12 m brooksy

m brooksy
  • Coach
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

I'll post on here Tony when we find out. Premier Sports seem pretty confident on facebook that they'll get it but I'm not too sure sure. Should know by next week.

#13 mackin89

mackin89
  • Coach
  • 129 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

Due to my flat mates persistence we subbed to their paid streaming service last night for an initial month as we stream sky go and such from the laptops to the tv.

Service worked pretty flawlessly, not worse than sky's own services and it works out at £9.50 a month.

Was impressed by the build up coverage and the overall presentation. Any issues after the current month and can opt out by giving a months notice so its little risk.

#14 PooingDog

PooingDog
  • Coach
  • 999 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

Oldham13........BetVictor have just opened the first book on the Championship 1, they've got North Wales in at 7/1, good value I'd say.
Memento mori

Who cares -Wins!!!

Carpe Cerevisi

AKA. Winston Smith

Give 'em a fair trial..........and then hang 'em"

#15 oldham13

oldham13
  • Coach
  • 706 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

Mr PD

We have similar views on this still seasons competitive teams with both Oldham and Rochdale having short odds, you are absolutely correct when you say North Wales are good value for a little wager.

Regular Season Odds from BetVictor

Oldham
6/4
Rochdale Hornets
13/8
North Wales Crusaders
6/1
London Skolars
7/1
South Wales
9/1
Gateshead Thunder
66/1
Hemel Stags
100/1
Oxford
100/1
Gloucestershire All Golds
150/1

Grand Final Winners

Oldham
13/8
Rochdale Hornets
7/4
North Wales Crusaders
5/1
London Skolars
6/1
South Wales
8/1
Hemel Stags
80/1
Oxford
100/1
Gateshead Thunder
100/1
Gloucesteshire All Golds
100/1

We Are Oldham Roughyeds

#16 oldham13

oldham13
  • Coach
  • 706 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

I watching the championship results today with a degree of jealously! We need to be in that league next season

We Are Oldham Roughyeds

#17 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

absolutely....we can't spend another season down here...

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL