Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Observer

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,619 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

An article about Salford in today's Observer also refers to Wigan "being resigned to losing Sam Tomkins at the end of the season". Is this correct and if so, to whom?

(If I've missed an earlier thread then apologies, and please point me to it.)
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#2 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,577 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

If he is going then Wigan will have to be suitably recompensed.

rldfsignature.jpg

#3 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,285 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

Not sure they will.

Tomkins signed to play RL for Wigan exclusively if he plays RL at all.

I doubt the contract would prevent him from considering jobs outside RL and even if it did, I very much doubt it would be legal.

#4 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,577 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

So if he's signed a contract to play RL for Wigan for the next three years do you think he'll be able to find the time to play RU in his spare time?

rldfsignature.jpg

#5 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

Not sure they will.

Tomkins signed to play RL for Wigan exclusively if he plays RL at all.

I doubt the contract would prevent him from considering jobs outside RL and even if it did, I very much doubt it would be legal.

Wigan got a fee for Joel , didn't they ?

And Hock's transfer to Paramatta fell through in part because the Aussies wouldn't pay the going rate.?

Obviously being under contract in professional sports terms still means something
Wigan got a fee for Joel

#6 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

As has been said quite a few times on here, Ian Lenaghan is a shrewd man. No one will leave Wigan unless its right for Wigan (if their contracted)..

Looks like its going to be another season of is he/isnt he leaving/staying..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#7 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

Ian Lenaghan on Thursday said he would expect Sam to be considering his options. He's only got a short career. He said Sam signed a 3 year contract last year, he's done 1 year, this will be his second and who knows what will happen in year 3.

It'll only be a year of will he/won't he if people keep going on about it. Who cares?

He's a great player, he's got a great year ahead of him for Wigan and England. After the World Cup, if he moves on, someone else will be very lucky to get him and Wigan will get a pot of money as compensation for him breaking his contract. It happens!

What will be interesting is whether he decides to stick with what he knows (Wigan) or gets right out of his comfort zone (NRL) or decides to retire early (union), but all that's for next year.

#8 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,783 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

Ian Lenaghan on Thursday said he would expect Sam to be considering his options. He's only got a short career. He said Sam signed a 3 year contract last year, he's done 1 year, this will be his second and who knows what will happen in year 3.

It'll only be a year of will he/won't he if people keep going on about it. Who cares?

He's a great player, he's got a great year ahead of him for Wigan and England. After the World Cup, if he moves on, someone else will be very lucky to get him and Wigan will get a pot of money as compensation for him breaking his contract. It happens!

What will be interesting is whether he decides to stick with what he knows (Wigan) or gets right out of his comfort zone (NRL) or decides to retire early (union), but all that's for next year.

Spot on.

Tomkins has got it all going for him at the moment. He's on an enormous amount more than any of his peers by all accounts, is building a substantial media profile and has a world cup to look forward to at the end of the season. Any offer that union put up can be matched by the NRL, with the promise of retaining his popularity in RL, an Aussie lifestyle and continuing to play the game he knows.

I understand and am sympathetic towards the arguments made that we can't offer our stars some of the things they'd get in union. But for me, that applies to stars ranking, say, 5th downwards in Super League. If you're Sam Tomkins, Kevin Sinfield, Ryan Hall, James Roby etc, you can have it all in RL.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#9 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,204 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

If I were a top player, I wouldn't consider an offer from Union if I could go to the NRL for a similar offer. One's a leap in the dark to a different game - the other keeps you in the comfort zone whilst increasing your stature as a sports star. No contest.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#10 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

Here's a link to today's Observer article by Andy Wilson as it appears in the online version. It is slightly different in emphasis in the references to Sam Tomkins from the one given by Blind side.

http://www.guardian....per-league-2013

Perhaps the hard copy version was different.................

#11 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

Here's a link to today's Observer article by Andy Wilson as it appears in the online version. It is slightly different in emphasis in the references to Sam Tomkins from the one given by Blind side.

Good balanced article that. Plenty of cause for optimism - after all the season does start on Thursday!!!!!!! and I like rugby league.

#12 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,619 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

Yes it was - I've just checked. In particular there was no reference to ".............league lovers are left to hope he will join the growing number of leading English players tempted by the money and lifestyle on offer in Australia, rather than starting from scratch in the other code." I regard this as a significant ommission. Also the Sonny Bill Williams reference was excluded.

Considering that AW was covering the England cricket tour when this article must have been written it simply looks like a pre-season space-filler to me.

I do hope that no-one thinks I have an axe to grind - on this one at least!!
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)