Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Inside Out BBC Yorkshire

• Please log in to reply
298 replies to this topic

#201 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,861 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

Sorry but I have to pull you up on this: in what way did Hetherington "bail out" of Sheffield???

I stand pulled up if the definition of "bailed out" condemns me.

In mitigation I meant that he did not see the project through, but then again I am assuming the project was to make the game successful and sustainable in Sheffield in the way it is in Leeds or Wigan or Hull.

I felt that Hetherington had seen the remoteness of places like London Kent and Cardiff as barriers to true expansion, but a club in Sheffield could build given it's closeness to the traditional areas.

I will say no more in case you pull me again and would ask how you felt it was??

#202 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,861 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

Your mate Padge was the one banging on about transport links.

I quoted Trojan.

#203 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,678 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

For goodness sake.

Wigan have produced 25 of today's top professionals.

Halifax have produced four and three play at Huddersfield.

I'm lead to believe 5 Sharlston/Streethouse born players once played in the same Great Britain team (Not sure if it's true & I'm not going to look it up because it was before Super League so it never happened) forgot, can Donny claim the Grix bro's?

Edited by Marauder, 29 January 2013 - 09:43 PM.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#204 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,678 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

It happened at Widnes - 3,500 went on to become an SL loss making 6,000

It happened at leigh - 3,000 went on to become an SL loss making 4,800

It happened in cas - 5,000 went on to become an SL loss making 7,000

it happened at HKR - 3,500 went on to become an SL loss making 7,500

it happened at Workington 3.700 stagnated in SL and stayed at a loss making 3,700

It happened at Huddersfield 2,600 went on to be an SL loss making 7,800

it happened in Wakefield 2,500 went on to become an SL loss making 6.000

It happened at Salford 2,300 went on to become a loss making 5,800

It happened at Oldham 3,900 ended up at 3,600 in Superleague

It happened at Halifax 5,600 ended up at 2,900 in Superleague.

It would have happened at keighley, Dewsbury, Hunslet, and it is yet to happen at featherstone that none of them would have/will produce 10,000 self sustaining crowds.

What is it they say "statistics, statistics and the damn truth"

I'd like to live in a castle but I can only afford a 4 bed detached ;)

#205 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 435 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

This about sums up the bbc's interest and support for RL, instead of announcing the SL show will be shown national wide we get the seaon launched in our World Cup year with a half researched article. I like GR his articles are always worth a read and he's flown the flag high for our sport, but this is badly timed and certainly not in support of our sport.

#206 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,678 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

I stand pulled up if the definition of "bailed out" condemns me.

In mitigation I meant that he did not see the project through, but then again I am assuming the project was to make the game successful and sustainable in Sheffield in the way it is in Leeds or Wigan or Hull.

I felt that Hetherington had seen the remoteness of places like London Kent and Cardiff as barriers to true expansion, but a club in Sheffield could build given it's closeness to the traditional areas.

I will say no more in case you pull me again and would ask how you felt it was??

Gazzer Got offered a far better job at Leeds Rhinos with a good financial backer, he left The Eagles in a good position (Work was needed to be done) the RFL sh it on the Eagles by coupling them up with Huddersfield.

#207 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

As Mr. Drake says shock horror sells better than all in the garden is rosy. If Riley didn't act the stooge someone else would have got the gig.

He has to stand by that now though. General feedback is that it was a non story, timed to try and take the shine off the launch of the new rugby league story. View also seems to be that it was a particularly poor piece of journalism that told you nothing you didn't know beforehand.

Georgie took the shilling, so he's got to expect that his standing in RL and journalism circles will take a nosedive. Still he's young enough to choose a career he's more suited to.

#208 stewpot01

stewpot01
  • Coach
  • 126 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:22 AM

Do you know that Wigan in the 2nd Division averaged arounf 4,000 and they are one of the giants of the game. Everything is relative to time and circumstance. Why is it not ccepted that London is not a RL city or manchester or Hudderfield. They were down to around a 1000 inDiv 2 at Fartown or Wakefield or Hull HR in the same division. York is a potential area for serious RL growth up to and including SL.

Keighley got their gates up to 4 to 5000 and the town is only a quarter the size of York.

I am not going to throw you any more fish because it's plain to me that you can neither accept sound reason or logic. The facts and figures do NOT lie, but no matter what anyone tells you it appears you hate to be wrong, which to me makes it totally unreasonable to be able to hold any kind of sensible debate with someone like you.

You cannot use Keighley as a comparison either - some of your sports fans support Burnley!!

Just get it through your head - York and Rugby League do not mix, never have and never will. There is no fairytale ending to this in which all the townsfolk fall asleep and are awoken by a magic fairy who has sprinkled them wth rugby dust making them all suddenly big fans.

Personally, I think you just like to argue with people, even when you are wrong.

Edited by stewpot01, 30 January 2013 - 01:08 AM.

#209 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

For goodness sake.

Wigan have produced 25 of today's top professionals.

Halifax have produced four and three play at Huddersfield.

There is 4 not 3 at Huddersfield first team- Stuart Fielden, Joe Wardle, Luke Robinson, Jacob Fairbank. There another couple knocking around at other clubs like O´Brien at Bradford and then theres obviously Gareth Widdop at Melbourne.

#210 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

Not according to Mark Aston, Karl Harrison and Daryll Powell who are all of the opinion that where the game is heading is not good. Harrison has said that he would have never made the grade as he was a late developer if todays system was in place in his day. And all 3 I have much respect for both as coaches and players.

I would never have gone to uni if today's educational system was in place then.
Someone will always miss out because of and whatever the system.
Its a meaningless argument.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#211 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:04 AM

There is 4 not 3 at Huddersfield first team- Stuart Fielden, Joe Wardle, Luke Robinson, Jacob Fairbank. There another couple knocking around at other clubs like O´Brien at Bradford and then theres obviously Gareth Widdop at Melbourne.

And the Grix brothers, Ben Kavanagh at Widnes.
But Parkies point still stands. The Wigan area does create more SL players than Halifax. They produce more SL players than any other area in the country including Leeds.

Edited by a.n Other, 30 January 2013 - 09:42 AM.

#212 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

can see this getting locked :lol:

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#213 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

I would never have gone to uni if today's educational system was in place then.
Someone will always miss out because of and whatever the system.
Its a meaningless argument.

Yep - there is an issue too that if the game can't afford it, they can't afford it!

In a perfect world surely we'd have an U16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27's and so on so we never lose a single player?

#214 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

Wardle's brother, who has also played for Illingworth, is supposed to be a very good prospect.

Edited by longboard, 30 January 2013 - 10:21 AM.

#215 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

Just get it through your head - York and Rugby League do not mix, never have and never will. There is no fairytale ending to this in which all the townsfolk fall asleep and are awoken by a magic fairy who has sprinkled them with rugby dust making them all suddenly big fans.

Never say never. If we can get the Rhinos and Tigers fans in the city to support the Knights we would be halfway there, funnily enough.
Posted Image

#216 stewpot01

stewpot01
  • Coach
  • 126 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

Never say never. If we can get the Rhinos and Tigers fans in the city to support the Knights we would be halfway there, funnily enough.

Highly unlikely.

#217 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

Highly unlikely.

Thank you for that insightful input but we would still like to try if thats all the same to you...
Posted Image

#218 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

Very interesting article about the finances of sub Premiership English soccer. Funnily enough no mention of it on the BBC sports pages!

http://www.telegraph...llion-debt.html

£68m v £1billion!

#219 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,463 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

Gazzer Got offered a far better job at Leeds Rhinos with a good financial backer, he left The Eagles in a good position (Work was needed to be done) the RFL sh it on the Eagles by coupling them up with Huddersfield.

The RFL did not couple Sheffield with Huddersfield. Fact.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#220 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,861 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

And the Grix brothers, Ben Kavanagh at Widnes.
But Parkies point still stands. The Wigan area does create more SL players than Halifax. They produce more SL players than any other area in the country including Leeds.

Thank you.

It's important to compare like with like.

I have used the definition of top players being in the 1-17 shirts.

If anyone wants to add a good kid from halifax has the No. 25 shirt at so and so tu up the Halifax ante, then I'd have to add on the many more good kids from Wigan who are fringe SL players.

But it's not a dig at Fax.

I just find it astounding clubs who are in areas where NO SL PLAYERS or maybe the odd one in the last five years are born and bred and make it as pro's are suggested as SL candidates.

Fantasy stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users