Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Inside Out BBC Yorkshire

• Please log in to reply
298 replies to this topic

#221 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,368 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

It happened at Widnes - 3,500 went on to become an SL loss making 6,000

It happened at leigh - 3,000 went on to become an SL loss making 4,800

It happened in cas - 5,000 went on to become an SL loss making 7,000

it happened at HKR - 3,500 went on to become an SL loss making 7,500

it happened at Workington 3.700 stagnated in SL and stayed at a loss making 3,700

It happened at Huddersfield 2,600 went on to be an SL loss making 7,800

it happened in Wakefield 2,500 went on to become an SL loss making 6.000

It happened at Salford 2,300 went on to become a loss making 5,800

It happened at Oldham 3,900 ended up at 3,600 in Superleague

It happened at Halifax 5,600 ended up at 2,900 in Superleague.

It would have happened at keighley, Dewsbury, Hunslet, and it is yet to happen at featherstone that none of them would have/will produce 10,000 self sustaining crowds.

What is it they say "statistics, statistics and the damn truth"

And yet 6 of those teams are still in SL at this moment. That's the damn truth.

I was watching a DVD last night of a packed Thrum Hall and also the Shay with Halifax playing sime great rugby and beating the best SL had to offer at the time. I know what subsequently happened obviously but the images were very positive. A return with decent management would be a positive in my book.

#222 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,368 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

It doesn't make them successful at all as what you miss is that these lads don't come from Halifax RLFC they come from Halifax Junior ARL.

And the ones at Wigan don't come from Wigan amateur RL ?

#223 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,368 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

I am not going to throw you any more fish because it's plain to me that you can neither accept sound reason or logic. The facts and figures do NOT lie, but no matter what anyone tells you it appears you hate to be wrong, which to me makes it totally unreasonable to be able to hold any kind of sensible debate with someone like you.

You cannot use Keighley as a comparison either - some of your sports fans support Burnley!!

Just get it through your head - York and Rugby League do not mix, never have and never will. There is no fairytale ending to this in which all the townsfolk fall asleep and are awoken by a magic fairy who has sprinkled them wth rugby dust making them all suddenly big fans.

Personally, I think you just like to argue with people, even when you are wrong.

York and RL have mixed since 1895 or 6. That the club has never set the league in fire in the past is immaterial to what might happen in the future given the right circumstances. After their reformation as York Knights there was a wave of optimisim and enthusiasm and they were pulling in decent crowd in CC1. That this was not sustained is true but the possible potential for the game in York were demonstrated.

You just don't know that I am wrong. I am speculating that York could be a successful RL city you are denying that to be so. Neither of us knows the future.

Swinton and Hunslet were giants of the game but now are struggling A teams but if I was to take on board your theories then, because they were great in the past, this should continue into the future but obviously this is not so. So when you say York has not been a big RL City in the past and so will continue in that vein, this is clearly not a given. it might be but equally it might not.

Were the folk of Perpignan sprinkled with fairy dust or was there some other reason that they went from a struggling, dying club in the French league to a top tier SL club ?

Statistics from the past prove nothing with regards to the future. they may support a particular line of argument but they are not infallible.

If you don't want to debate then don,t. people like you who think they are right all the time are particularly annoying to those of us who are :rolleyes:

#224 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,039 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

Harrogate RUFC are rumoured to face being made homeless, and RU has always had a big following in the town.

Between them York and Harrogate could support a dual-franchise club.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#225 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,368 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

Harrogate RUFC are rumoured to face being made homeless, and RU has always had a big following in the town.

I lived and worked in Harrogate and the demographics of the town are definitely not the demographics of RL. Just why they have abandoned RU as well is indeed a mystery.

#226 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 969 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

No they're not. Whilst they have lived on a knife edge for a while, they now have plans for a very decent new facility just outside the town which looks similar to the West Park development and my understanding is that it will happen.

As for a dual franchise club, I sincerely doubt it. Whilst it is fairly fertile RU territory, you see plenty of Rhinos tops out and about and I'm sure if the Rhinos put on a youth training session on the Stray that they would get a very decent turn out indeed.

#227 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 969 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

No they're not. Whilst they have lived on a knife edge for a while, they now have plans for a very decent new facility just outside the town which looks similar to the West Park development and my understanding is that it will happen.

As for a dual franchise club, I sincerely doubt it. Whilst it is fairly fertile RU territory, you see plenty of Rhinos tops out and about and I'm sure if the Rhinos put on a youth training session on the Stray that they would get a very decent turn out indeed.

#228 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,141 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

And yet 6 of those teams are still in SL at this moment.

Yes they are. I thought it pretty much a given that above the top six or seven nobody else can sustain Superleague without the help of rich directors. Why don't you get this??

Edited by The Parksider, 30 January 2013 - 06:04 PM.

#229 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,141 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

And the ones at Wigan don't come from Wigan amateur RL ?

Yes they do but enough are produced to sustain a Superleague team. Why don't you get this?

#230 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,797 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

There is 4 not 3 at Huddersfield first team- Stuart Fielden, Joe Wardle, Luke Robinson, Jacob Fairbank. There another couple knocking around at other clubs like O´Brien at Bradford and then theres obviously Gareth Widdop at Melbourne.

The Grix boys are from Halifax
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#231 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

The Grix boys are from Halifax

Scott Grix is a Huddersfield regular and is now one of the senior players. He's inked in to play full back this season.

#232 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,141 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:43 AM

I lived and worked in Harrogate and the demographics of the town are definitely not the demographics of RL.

But you don't know this do you? The past is history as you say and no indication of the future??

Surely now Rhinos have got Harrogate people on board as fans the game could spread if you put the Union club in Superleague.

York is close to Harrogate there's a direct railway line. Over a quarter of a million potential fans

How do you know if we don't try it?

Am I ringing Mr Barwick or you???

#233 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

Very interesting article about the finances of sub Premiership English soccer. Funnily enough no mention of it on the BBC sports pages!

http://www.telegraph...llion-debt.html

£68m v £1billion!

Cardiff City have debts of GBP83million. That's one Championship football club carrying more debt than the entire sport of Rugby League.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#234 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,023 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

never fear....Riley will be on their case........! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by JohnM, 31 January 2013 - 10:13 AM.

#235 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

Both of you wait until Fev have got in first!
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#236 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

York and RL have mixed since 1895 or 6. That the club has never set the league in fire in the past is immaterial to what might happen in the future given the right circumstances. After their reformation as York Knights there was a wave of optimisim and enthusiasm and they were pulling in decent crowd in CC1. That this was not sustained is true but the possible potential for the game in York were demonstrated.

You just don't know that I am wrong. I am speculating that York could be a successful RL city you are denying that to be so. Neither of us knows the future.

Swinton and Hunslet were giants of the game but now are struggling A teams but if I was to take on board your theories then, because they were great in the past, this should continue into the future but obviously this is not so. So when you say York has not been a big RL City in the past and so will continue in that vein, this is clearly not a given. it might be but equally it might not.

Were the folk of Perpignan sprinkled with fairy dust or was there some other reason that they went from a struggling, dying club in the French league to a top tier SL club ?

Statistics from the past prove nothing with regards to the future. they may support a particular line of argument but they are not infallible.

If you don't want to debate then don,t. people like you who think they are right all the time are particularly annoying to those of us who are :rolleyes:

Just out of interest what's the population of Perpignan compared to York?

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#237 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,141 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

Both of you wait until Fev have got in first!

Fev are now safe.

I have informed Mr, Barwick that withing an hours drive of POR there are 6,000,000 people

#238 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,141 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

Its around 85000 + you can add on another 35000 for outlying areas.The combined total of Dragons/USAP fans being around 20000 + means around 1 in 6/7 attend a rugby match (very few no-more than lets say 1000 follow both codes) which makes it very high in terms of % of the population watching Rugby,in fact you can add at least another 5000 + to that figure that follow the local village side on a regular basis that would come within the 35000+ for outlying areas.CM

Very interesting thank you. If USAP are a bigger club surely this puts pressure on Les Cats in terms of attracting juniors and fans.

I saw somwhere they have a tie up with Barcelona FC.

But I mustn't talk about Barcelona, it's all fanatsy stuff.

As Is Italy being a major place to play Rugby.

#239 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,368 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

But you don't know this do you? The past is history as you say and no indication of the future??

Surely now Rhinos have got Harrogate people on board as fans the game could spread if you put the Union club in Superleague.

York is close to Harrogate there's a direct railway line. Over a quarter of a million potential fans

How do you know if we don't try it?

The population of Harrogate is around 60,000, similar to that of Keighley, considered by you to be too small for SL. There is not even one junior team in Harrogate and there is no stadium.

You can try if you want put the town does not compare to York on stadium ( projected), existing club, population or junior game. Now have you finished taking the p#ss?

#240 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,368 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

Just out of interest what's the population of Perpignan compared to York?

According to another poster the population is 85,000 with 35,000 in the hinterland, atotal of 120,000. the population of York is 200,000. but York is too small and isolated <_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users