Inside Out BBC Yorkshire

• Please log in to reply
298 replies to this topic

#41 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

But he doesn't square any circles here. He inherited a club that had a "big audience" (12,500) and a decent "product" (runners up to Wigan premiership and cup finalists 1995). Mr. Caddick built his stand and the facilities that provides the income streams.

He inherited a business that had a good product and had a large market to sell it to.

So he was in an excellent position to make a profit which has now sustained Leeds as the games top club over the last so many years.

Leeds weren't in a good way when he came on board, and good management has got them where they are today, although I will accept that the potential and size of the club will help push it further once its been turned around.

If you look at Salford now, MK has said that additional income streams are needed in order for the club to become sustainable, and that being a tenant in someone elses stadium is not going to get you anywhere. The thing is you need the money in order to set up these additional income streams, or to buy/build a stadium.

Chicken and the egg!

#42 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

George Riley has always struck me as a bit of a miserable ###### who is definitely a glass half empty type.

#43 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,614 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

and he definitely does not take feebdback very well.

#44 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,355 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

Annual hatchet job on eve of season? Check
Man claiming he's only telling it like it is? Check
Man offering a different angle on things? Errr

#45 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,614 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

Anyone read his research into environmental impacts of the Women's Rugby World Cup? I've looked for it but can't find it. It would be interesting to see how that has been structured and what the conclusion were.

#46 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,600 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

I don't have a problem with reporters/journalists giving the sport a hard look (timing is an issue mind you). We need clubs and the RFL to be accountable. However it needs to be balanced reporting, it can't all focus on the negative. In George's defence he does plug the big matches and give them much needed publicity on the radio.

What is the problem is that this is the big RL (only) story on the BBC (mobile app anyway) and it feeds in to the general gloom!
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#47 bar red

bar red
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

Why is this show only about rugby league?. Surely the programme would have more credibility if there was comparisons to other sports included. RL / Football or RL / RU. This programme will only add to any conspiracy theories against RL from the hierarchy in the BBC and general press reporting (or lack of). Personally i cannot actually see the point of the programme, I`m sure there was`nt a clamour off the general public for a review of RL finances, so who actually commissioned the show and why? Maybe we can look forward to an expose of RU clubs soon but i won`t be holding my breath for it. It`s just cheap, lazy reporting by somebody with an agenda against RL!

#48 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,300 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

As someone posted on twitter recently, we're a regional sport when its posistive, but a national sport when its negative..

Sacked off George from Twitter a while ago.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#49 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,160 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

It's one segment of three news items in a half hour programme, I don't think it will be that in-depth.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#50 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,600 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

Why is this show only about rugby league?. Surely the programme would have more credibility if there was comparisons to other sports included. RL / Football or RL / RU. This programme will only add to any conspiracy theories against RL from the hierarchy in the BBC and general press reporting (or lack of). Personally i cannot actually see the point of the programme, I`m sure there was`nt a clamour off the general public for a review of RL finances, so who actually commissioned the show and why? Maybe we can look forward to an expose of RU clubs soon but i won`t be holding my breath for it. It`s just cheap, lazy reporting by somebody with an agenda against RL!

Super League is big in Yorkshire. It's being shown on the Yorkshire regions (and north west I think) local news/investigational programme. I don't think it's an agenda against RL, it's a 'good' story and worthy of a look at. It's just rubbish timing for the game (but the right time for a reporter).

As long as the story is a genuine look at the game and fairly balanced, why not look into it? A few weeks ago plenty of people were haranging the press for not holding the RFL to account. Can't have it both ways. We (the game) just need to work on the positive stories.
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#51 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,614 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

Super League is big in Yorkshire. It's being shown on the Yorkshire regions (and north west I think) local news/investigational programme. I don't think it's an agenda against RL, it's a 'good' story and worthy of a look at. It's just rubbish timing for the game (but the right time for a reporter).

As long as the story is a genuine look at the game and fairly balanced, why not look into it? A few weeks ago plenty of people were haranging the press for not holding the RFL to account. Can't have it both ways. We (the game) just need to work on the positive stories.

I reckon that's the right way to take it.

Edited by JohnM, 28 January 2013 - 12:40 PM.

#52 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

Sobering reading

http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/21211330

Not good, but not as bad as some other sports in the UK. I would like to see a breakdown of that debt to get a true figure as per club and how they accumalated that debt.
The first rule of busines is after start up costs you can't have more money going out than comimg in.
The bundesliga should be the blue priint for Super league, and the Rhinos should be the blue print for Rugby League clubs in super league.

#53 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

George Riley has always struck me as a bit of a miserable ###### who is definitely a glass half empty type.

And exceptionally sensitive to any comment that does not agree 100% with his POV.

I tweeted him last night when he gave a hint that this was coming, stating that I hoped the programme wasn't too negative. Seems that it is, in that it is focusing upon our debt, like other sports don't have debt. How much the content of this piece was down to Riley I don't know but if it was his piece then I'm annoyed about it. While holding the RFL and clubs to account is always a good idea, doing it in this way on the day of our premier league's season launch when we don't have title sponsors is inappropriate and unncessary.

#54 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

Plus, this is a 10 minute slot in a regional opt-out show that goes out against ITV's top rating soap Coronation Street. It's hardly Panorama. In terms of boosting their audience, all this gnashing of teeth before it has even aired will be working a treat on their behalf. Maybe that's why they have opted to look for a 'negative' slanted story? If it had been a positive story, people would be moaning that in this slot it was being buried away in the schedules. ;)

Might be worth watching it first, to see what is said and how it is presented, rather than jumping to conclusions in advance about whether it is a hatchet job or not. Who knows, it might be balanced, factual and interesting. If it isn't, then let em have it both barrels.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#55 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

Plus, this is a 10 minute slot in a regional opt-out show that goes out against ITV's top rating soap Coronation Street. It's hardly Panorama.

That's part of the problem though. A 10 minute slot doesn't exactly provide opportunity for exploring the situation in depth and obtaining differing views to give a rounded and balanced item. However, I think it is the timing of this particular subject which has gotten on people's nerves. It really is unnecessary, no matter what the actual content is like.

#56 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,380 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

see what is said and how it is presented

You have to assume that what is being said mirrors the BBC's own trail stories for it?
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#57 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,355 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

Yeah John....but why now? Why are these stories always put out at the seasons launch? Why not in 6 weeks time?

#58 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,614 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

Plus, this is a 10 minute slot in a regional opt-out show that goes out against ITV's top rating soap Coronation Street. It's hardly Panorama. In terms of boosting their audience, all this gnashing of teeth before it has even aired will be working a treat on their behalf. Maybe that's why they have opted to look for a 'negative' slanted story? If it had been a positive story, people would be moaning that in this slot it was being buried away in the schedules. ;)

Might be worth watching it first, to see what is said and how it is presented, rather than jumping to conclusions in advance about whether it is a hatchet job or not. Who knows, it might be balanced, factual and interesting. If it isn't, then let em have it both barrels.

rather than jumping to conclusions in advance if we all took that advice this forum would be pretty quiet

#59 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

Yeah John....but why now? Why are these stories always put out at the seasons launch? Why not in 6 weeks time?

Same reason the whole media was full of negative stories about how the London Olympic Games were going to be an utter disaster all the way up to and including the day of the opening ceremony, at which point they were all proved wrong because the public had been ignoring them and had made up their own minds they were looking forward to it and were determined to enjoy it, shock horror.

Negative news makes good copy/sells papers/pulls in viewers, but it doesn't necessarily follow that is has any impact.

The reaction to this piece is far in excess of any impact it will have, but it has guaranteed it a bigger audience than it would have had before.

Most people will be watching Corrie.

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#60 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

That's part of the problem though. A 10 minute slot doesn't exactly provide opportunity for exploring the situation in depth and obtaining differing views to give a rounded and balanced item. However, I think it is the timing of this particular subject which has gotten on people's nerves. It really is unnecessary, no matter what the actual content is like.

Would you rather it was a whole hour on Panorama? :blink:

John Drake
TotalRL.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users