TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Inside Out BBC Yorkshire

• Please log in to reply
298 replies to this topic

#61 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,527 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

But we aren't the Olympics or soccer and most people will never read past the RL skint bit.

#62 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,767 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

But we aren't the Olympics or soccer and most people will never read past the RL skint bit.

Most people won't even notice this programme is on, or bother to watch it.

I just think we need to keep a sense of perspective.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#63 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,674 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

Yeah John....but why now? Why are these stories always put out at the seasons launch? Why not in 6 weeks time?

A publisher would do the story (if story has no set time constraint) when media interest in the subject is highest. For RL thats season start, Challenge cup and Grand Final. Any other time of the year and story more likely to be ignored...
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#64 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

Same reason the whole media was full of negative stories about how the London Olympic Games were going to be an utter disaster all the way up to and including the day of the opening ceremony, at which point they were all proved wrong because the public had been ignoring them and had made up their own minds they were looking forward to it and were determined to enjoy it, shock horror.

The difference being, John, that in-between this kind of thing rugby league's status in the media is forever being rendered invisible. It might as well not exist. While other sports are mythologised and their exponents hyped-up beyond credence, rugby league's story is written out altogether - or else usually written by the poison pens of those who affect to loathe it.

If the game is considered worthless for the rest of the time, then it is hard to convince people who love the game that reports such as this one are anything but worthless too. After all, it's not as if they care, is it?

#65 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,463 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

Would you rather it was a whole hour on Panorama? :blink:

You're out of touch.

Panoroma is a twenty minute talking-heads sequence bookended by a man in a bright shirt talking urgently.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#66 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,767 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

The difference being, John, that in-between this kind of thing rugby league's status in the media is forever being rendered invisible. It might as well not exist. While other sports are mythologised and their exponents hyped-up beyond credence, rugby league's story is written out altogether - or else usually written by the poison pens of those who affect to loathe it.

If the game is considered worthless for the rest of the time, then it is hard to convince people who love the game that reports such as this one are anything but worthless too. After all, it's not as if they care, is it?

I'm not defending the programme (it's not even a whole programme, only a third of one), I'm just suggesting that people keep a sense of perspective about it, given how long it is and where it is scheduled, and possibly even wait to see it before judging it.

The Super League Show, also broadcast by the BBC, is much longer in duration, shows the sport in a largely positive light and runs the whole season.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#67 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

I'm all for re-organising the game into something that "lives within it's means" after a fashion but I'm not one for turning down the millions rich man may want to lavish on us and not want (or be able to) demand back.

Actually you have posted many times that the RFL ought to "force the M62 clubs to accept less Sky money so that Broncos could be properly funded by the RFL". You even once argued that Sky cash ought to be divided into regional pots with Yorkshire, the North West and London getting equal shares to divide between SL clubs in their region i.e. that Broncos should get 1/3rd of all the cash. You were quite impervious to the fact that this would bankrupt all the northern clubs.

#68 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,527 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

Precisely. If we had several 'good news' pieces to counteract the bad ones, then fair enough. But these annual 'rl is almost dead' stories are the only things we seem to get.
And it must have been mentioned on 5Live because a guy(non RL fan) said to me this morning 'what's this about all the SL clubs being skint and the game being in trouble'?

#69 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

I'm not defending the programme (it's not even a whole programme, only a third of one), I'm just suggesting that people keep a sense of perspective about it, given how long it is and where it is scheduled, and possibly even wait to see it before judging it.

The Super League Show, also broadcast by the BBC, is much longer in duration, shows the sport in a largely positive light and runs the whole season.

It's a highlights package show that wasn't properly made available to those of us who fell in love with the sport far away from the game's heartlands. I could walk for miles and not find a single person who has even heard of this show, let alone watched it. And, anyway, I'm not asking for favours - is that how you see the Super League show? It is a pitiful state of affairs that, just because Riley likes rugby league and even mentions it in passing on the radio, then we should all be so grateful...

I will not see this report - as I will not see the advert promoting the new season. For different reasons, both of these things upset me.

#70 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

Its a conspiracy against Rugby League John, they just don't like us! Andy Wilson hates us, George Riley doesn't like us and the BBC treat us like second class sporting citizens.

And they get on about Fev fans being paranoid. Deary me!
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#71 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

Something irks that the news story airing today isn't a coincedence.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#72 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,058 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

I agree with those who decry the timing and doomsday slant of this report.

Bewteen us afficionados on here though, it has been apparent for some time that many of the SL clubs cannot operate whilst paying full salary cap wages. Eventually, if this carries on for long enough then Salford, Bradford, Crusaders, Wakefield type financial meltdowns occur,

I get the point made that if half the league plays on reduced salary caps wages then many uncompetitive matches may be the result when they play the big boys. However, this is almost the case now when top plays bottom four or five.

I get the point, although I don't agree with it, that the league should scale back to a big profitable club only competition, but then, what to do with the rest excluded from this small group.

Unless the suggested mega club concept looks like emerging in sufficient numbers to be an operable competition, then I do not this as a solution any time soon.

I think therefore that, uneven games or no, clubs who cannot afford to pay top wages should pay less. This is probably more than half the league so there will be competition between the have nots to get a lower playoff spot.

Of course, should any of the lower salary cap teams snare a big investor, then they can always pay top cap wages again.

The alternative to wage cuts is more bankruptcies and so far we have been lucky. The next time a club might die, as indeed, did our Welsh experiment at SL level.

So whilst this journalist might be a muck racking opportunist playing his cards at exactly the wrong time and ignoring any positives that are out there re the game, there is no smoke without fire and the league, the SL. and the individual clubs need to take a long hard look at the financial situation they are in and cut their cloth to suit or it will end up being their shroud.

#73 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

Not getting the full Sky TV allocation - they went bust, they need to be punished, take it like a man.

Bradford v Saints clashing with Bradford City - no of course you can't shift your match to clash with the WCC where we want the whole focus on rugby league to be.

No THEY didn't go bust, it was the previous management, who now have no connection.

I think trying to minimise the inevitable loss of income which will ensue from the City cup final is the right and proper thing to do, only a total idiot would just sit back and accept it. If the RFL veto the Friday night plan, well so be it, but they have to try.
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#74 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,099 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

Something irks that the news story airing today isn't a coincedence.

Well the BBC do have the 6 Nations starting this weekend, for which they grossly overpaid, so the timing isn't all that surprising really.

#75 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

Well the BBC do have the 6 Nations starting this weekend, for which they grossly overpaid, so the timing isn't all that surprising really.

True. I'm still dumbfounded these two competitions start on the same weekend. It must be their fault...

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#76 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,463 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

I hadn't realised the powers that be were insisting that the Bulls play at a time that clashes with Bradford City's first appearance in a cup final in 102 years.

Farce!
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#77 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

This has rocked up on the BBC site, I dunno if it's the full thing or just a taster (I've also no sound at work).

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ngland-21162916

and for some reason, even though I can't hear him, I'm not at all surprised Wilkin is on it.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#78 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

True. I'm still dumbfounded these two competitions start on the same weekend. It must be their fault...

hahah

#79 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

sportinglife have a quick view from Tony Smith.

While I've nothing against Hetherington and Smith, whenever it comes to chatting about finances in SL, it always comes from the "haves", expect views from Saints and Wigan in the press next.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#80 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

If it's all like this, looks as though it'll be quite balanced:

http://www.bbc.co.uk..._medium=twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users