Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Inside Out BBC Yorkshire

• Please log in to reply
298 replies to this topic

#81 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

Most people won't even notice this programme is on, or bother to watch it.

I just think we need to keep a sense of perspective.

So keeping a sense of perspective...........on the eve of the 2013 competition, I reckon the following is a pretty accurate statement of the financial situation:

Leeds - not a problem
Wigan - not a problem
Warrington - not a problem
Saints - not a problem
Wakefield - not a problem
Catalans - not a problem
Hull FC - not a problem
Bradford - no longer a problem
Salford - fingers crossed should no longer be a problem
Huddersfield - ? should not be a problem, the owner seems happy to keep on investing
London - ? more of an existential issue
Widnes - ?
Cas - ?
Hull KR - ?

With Widnes, Cas and KR seemingly the weakest links.

Overall, I think that the league is in a fairly decent position going into the new season and you would expect the other issues/ weaker clubs to be worked through over the course of this season and into next year.

Edited by foozler, 28 January 2013 - 04:55 PM.

#82 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,879 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

So keeping a sense of perspective...........on the eve of the 2013 competition, I reckon the following is a pretty accurate statement of the financial situation:

Leeds - not a problem
Wigan - not a problem
Warrington - not a problem
Saints - not a problem
Wakefield - not a problem
Catalans - not a problem
Hull FC - not a problem
Bradford - no longer a problem
Salford - fingers crossed should no longer be a problem
Huddersfield - ? should not be a problem, the owner seems happy to keep on investing
London - ? more of an existential issue
Widnes - ?
Cas - ?
Hull KR - ?

With Widnes, Cas and KR seemingly the weakest links.

Overall, I think that the league is in a fairly decent position going into the new season and you would expect the other issues/ weaker clubs to be worked through over the course of this season and into next year.

I like that - "Not a problem" great Motto.

Widnes have Mr. O.Connor at the helm - not a problem.
HKR have investment in the ground and Mr. Larvin sending a big cheque - maybe not a problem.
Cas will merge with Fev - not a problem.

#83 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,879 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

There is no smoke without fire and the league, the SL. and the individual clubs need to take a long hard look at the financial situation they are in and cut their cloth to suit or it will end up being their shroud.

RFL/SLE said they were reviewing everything for 2015 last year so your hardly suggesting something that isn't already happening.

As for the shroud thing, have you not noticed the cloak of security a £90,000,000 SKY contract gives us?

Do you not know that most directors loans that create a debt are written off??

#84 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

RFL/SLE said they were reviewing everything for 2015 last year so your hardly suggesting something that isn't already happening.

As for the shroud thing, have you not noticed the cloak of security a £90,000,000 SKY contract gives us?

Apparently the £90M Sky deal is £126M according to Danny Lockwood in today's League Weekly.

#85 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,879 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

Apparently the £90M Sky deal is £126M according to Danny Lockwood in today's League Weekly.

Superlegaue is still doomed Captain Mainwaring.

How dare you read that rag and come on here :lol:

#86 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

I like that - "Not a problem" great Motto.

I think there is a healthy dose of realism amongst most of the SL clubs, that they have to become much more sustainable as stand alone businesses. This means working hard to increase off field revenues, but it also means having to be more savvy on player development and recruitment.

There must be plenty of talent in the Championship and below that could, with the right facilities and development programmes cut the mustard in SL. For too long the clubs have spent too much on imports and my hope is that over the next few years, the SL clubs will use the link ups to identify talent further down the RL food chain and bring it on through.

#87 matt newsholme

matt newsholme
  • Coach
  • 896 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

Which two clubs are charaitable trusts and are not included? Is warrington one?

If 11 clubs owe 68m, but removing 2 clubs reduces the debt to 3m per club, then 9 clubs owe 27m and two clubs owe 41m between them.

3m per club seems reasonable if the debt can be serviced, but those two clubs sharing 41m are in deep doo-doo (and they are not necessarily Bradford & Salford)

In fact I'd say Bradford are definitely one of clubs that aren't significantly in debt. Depending on which report you believe we were between 1.5 and 2.5 million in debt at point we went into admin. But those debts were wiped out when new owners came in and can't see how they'd have managed to run up any significant debt yet.

#88 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,894 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

Of course I am aware of the Sky money but, even with that money, half the clubs are a little dodgy financially. The Bradford, Salford, Wakefield, Crusader failures all occurred whilst Sky money was in play.

I think that there is an awareness of the weaknesses and, as you say, a review is in place but the Mr Micawber scenario applies and if expenditure year after year exceeds income and the debt keeps getting bigger, eventually catastrophe will ensue. All I am saying is that those clubs in those situations need to reduce their expenditures to the point where the club at least breaks even. I don't say this is the best and most desireable situation, I do say that if the clubs do not act in a fiscally responsible way there will be more bankruptcies and there might not always be a white knight to ride to the rescue.

#89 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

Well balanced piece. Can't really argue much with that.

#90 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,861 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

yup
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#91 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

Other than the cynical timing, of course!
Posted Image

#92 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,202 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

It was a cheap shot on launch day. Totally unnecessary. They couldn't even produce hard figures to back up their 'in excess of £60 million' claim.

Perhaps the BBC thinks it's paying us too much for TV rights. Or maybe they've been left out of the World Cup deal. Or maybe they are trying to get a World Cup deal on the cheap. No idea. But that item was so empty of substance that the whole thing just looks vindictive.

#93 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,861 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

Other than the cynical timing, of course!

its the start of a season.. lots of clubs have been or are up sh it creek. I thought the timing is appropriate gav.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#94 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,663 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

I wonder what the motivation for the BBC commissioning the piece was?

#95 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

Remember the year some students thesis was used as an indicator that RL was dying...2003-4? Uncannily this was also given wide publicity a few days before the season started.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#96 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

£126m is everything..SL,CHAMPIONSHIP,challenge cup & internationals

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#97 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,125 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

Its all good publicity according to some of the twittering press.
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#98 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,202 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

£126m is everything..SL,CHAMPIONSHIP,challenge cup & internationals

Wrong. Sky paid nothing towards the Championship. The Championships are now on Premier Sports (who also paid nothing for them). The internationals are awarded separately, hence the BBC got them in autumn last year. The challenge cup likewise is awarded separately and last year both the BBC and Sky were awarded bits of the comp.

Sky paid £126 million over five years for Super League and only Super League.

#99 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,202 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

Its all good publicity according to some of the twittering press.

I'd suggest they were twittering out of their backside. All publicity isn't good publicity. Mud sticks.

#100 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

I'd suggest they were twittering out of their backside. All publicity isn't good publicity. Mud sticks.

Chris Irvine seems to think we are a bunch of serfs who should doff our caps if the BBC deem us worthy of a half baked investigation slot on a regional programme.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users