Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Fev Game

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#121 funkmaster flex

funkmaster flex
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

I think we all agree it would of been a different score line on a drier pitch.

I dont agree.

Living life and loving every second

http://www.summerhol.com

#122 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

Im actually doing a mental health assessment on david tomorrow. I think he is ill! :lol:

lol
did he say hello from me lol

;)

#123 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,038 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

I dont agree.

matters not. Dews will get another crack at fev hopefully on a drier pitch. C'est la vie
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#124 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

I dont agree.

Hopefully when you come to our place we will find out the answer. As I do think it would of been a different score line on a drier pitch. But I'm taking nothing away from you guys tonight you were very good.

#125 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,038 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

For long periods of the game tonight we were Gaffered. . Dews had a much better kicking game. But jack Bussey's introduction gave us a bit more zip at a time when (to me at least), dews appeared to tire.
Hard on dews.. but hey, ive seen rovers lose games like this in the past. I'll live with the win. No matter how ugly

#126 funkmaster flex

funkmaster flex
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

I am not saying later in the season you wont beat us. But to me, it sounds like you give a little and then take it back.

The fact is both teams played in awful conditions; You are the best team in the league and we arent, and the best you could do was a scrape of two points in the last few minutes.
As a Fev fan i wouldnt be dissapointed, I think both teams played out of their skins and there was understandably many errors. But as a Dewsbury fan I saw a team facing an uphil battle and for me, losing by two points under those circumstances and with that performance is irrelevant. Tonight I watched a brilliant game of rugby league, one where the winner doesnt matter, one where you are just glad to have watched such a game.

The rest is just detail.

Living life and loving every second

http://www.summerhol.com

#127 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,038 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:02 PM

I am not saying later in the season you wont beat us. But to me, it sounds like you give a little and then take it back.

The fact is both teams played in awful conditions; You are the best team in the league and we arent, and the best you could do was a scrape of two points in the last few minutes.
As a Fev fan i wouldnt be dissapointed, I think both teams played out of their skins and there was understandably many errors. But as a Dewsbury fan I saw a team facing an uphil battle and for me, losing by two points under those circumstances and with that performance is irrelevant. Tonight I watched a brilliant game of rugby league, one where the winner doesnt matter, one where you are just glad to have watched such a game.

The rest is just detail.

respect. Geat post

#128 FarOutRam

FarOutRam
  • Coach
  • 241 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

As a Fev fan i wouldnt be dissapointed, I think both teams played out of their skins and there was understandably many errors. But as a Dewsbury fan I saw a team facing an uphil battle and for me, losing by two points under those circumstances and with tha

t performance is irrelevant. Tonight I watched a brilliant game of rugby league, one where the winner doesnt matter, one where you are just glad to have watched such a game.

Winning doesn't matter?

The rest is just detail.

#129 FarOutRam

FarOutRam
  • Coach
  • 241 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:20 PM

The rest is just detail.

Why doesn't winning matter?

#130 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:24 PM

The rest is just detail.

I agree with all that a very good post. But even the very best teams have off days. But I don't think it was an off day for us if I'm being honest. I think the conditions combined with a very tireless, well coached and enthusiastic dewsbury team surprised us and got in our faces and stopped us doing what we do best.

Edited by thundergaz, 10 February 2013 - 10:25 PM.

#131 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

A thoroughly enjoyable game tonight (given the awful conditions, even a brilliant game), but I think inexperience got the better of us and we lost the match. I think our captain's inexperience showed tonight, with his poor passing and Brown's pass that helped Featherstone (I have to admit I had no idea who made that passed until informed afterwards).

I was surprised by Pryce's kicking ability and thought he made a useful debut and think there is more to come; I was not surprised by O'Brien's qualitities though.

Why did Alibert disallow the Dewsbury try? Somebody help me please!

If that was inexperience from Dewsbury, it will be really exciting when we come of age. Roll on next week.

Grudgingly, well done to Fev for not giving up, but it was not the correct result.
Legs, Dews, Legs.

#132 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

Thought dews were a bit negative in the second half - taking the two, going for the dropgoal etc and that cost them the match for me, they did very little of what they did in the first half attacking wise

Like others have said - maybe it was a combination of inexperience and Fev pressure that produced these negative tactics, as although the pitch deteriorated the conditions improved slightly as the wind and sleety conditions seemed to drop

We definately got out of jail tonight for me and this result although early in the campaign could define our season

#133 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:41 PM

Tonks got dropped for the mistakes he made last week so does that mean captain Spaven will be dropped next week?

#134 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

Robin - I was expecting us to lose by 20-30 points. Yes we showed a lot of enthusiasm and effort but not a lot else. Given you ' re spending a fortune on your squad, you really should be wiping the floor with teams like us regardless of the weather, just surprised the players saw a win as some great cause to celebrate. I am sure you will beat us at your place by a significant margin, but for long periods of this game Fev looked very ordinary against a very ordinary Rams team. At key points we were very poor, which sums up our level. I doubt we will beat any team in the top 6.

We are only hoping to make 7/8th, you should win the league with the money you're spending.

#135 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:52 PM

Robin - I was expecting us to lose by 20-30 points. Yes we showed a lot of enthusiasm and effort but not a lot else. Given you ' re spending a fortune on your squad, you really should be wiping the floor with teams like us regardless of the weather, just surprised the players saw a win as some great cause to celebrate. I am sure you will beat us at your place by a significant margin, but for long periods of this game Fev looked very ordinary against a very ordinary Rams team. At key points we were very poor, which sums up our level. I doubt we will beat any team in the top 6.

We are only hoping to make 7/8th, you should win the league with the money you're spending.

Why should we? We haven't got any first team SL players in our squad. Every team as an off day and maybe we did or didn't have one today I don't know it's hard to tell with them conditions. We are a slick quick side and can't play any of that in those conditions. The conditions suited your guys a lot more than it did us that's all. We are a summer rugby team as last week showed. You always get a couple of games like that in a season and you just have to get through them and get the win however you can and we did that tonight.

#136 BirstallDog

BirstallDog
  • Coach
  • 753 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:26 PM

Well done Dewsbury. i really thought you were very very unlucky tonight.
Looking forward to two close games this season.
And in my opinion Featherstone will not take all and sundry before them this season.
Should be some great games this season.

#137 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:58 AM

And in my opinion Featherstone will not take all and sundry before them this season.

I suppose Cas fans could be saying the same about the world champions after today. Impossible conditions to play good RL. Time will tell.

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 11 February 2013 - 12:59 AM.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#138 John North

John North
  • Coach
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:20 AM

My previous comment wasn't having a knock at the boys, merely stating that once again we've come up short against Fev (despite being the better side for the majority of the game)
They managed to keep the intensity for the full 80 minutes and showed real championship qualities.
I'm still delighted with the performance, and have high hopes for the season but i stand by my opinion. (Unless someone wants to tell me that it was Finns lightning pace and unreadable side step that was the difference?)
Red Amber Black - Its that simple

#139 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:43 AM

Spend as much as you like you wont wipe the floor with teams every week, especially in weather like that, i was made up with the win it was always a banana skin with the narrow field and terrible weather, with a dry wide pitch at ours you will see a different Rovers side

#140 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:57 AM

Sounds to me like Spaven's run over a couple of supporters' dogs this past week. Hardly weather conducive to creative play from the halves was it?

good spot tom, but I think a few if us are wondering why Coleman hasnt had a shot. Glen wasn't here last year, but most of us were and know Scott just hasn't got the craft we need when its tight. That said the lads were unlucky last night and we deserved the draw.