Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Fev Game

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#141 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

My previous comment wasn't having a knock at the boys, merely stating that once again we've come up short against Fev (despite being the better side for the majority of the game)
They managed to keep the intensity for the full 80 minutes and showed real championship qualities.
I'm still delighted with the performance, and have high hopes for the season but i stand by my opinion. (Unless someone wants to tell me that it was Finns lightning pace and unreadable side step that was the difference?)

Thanks to the weather and the cancellation of a prior engagement, I was able to go last night, and glad I did. Finny did make the difference last night in that he always looked to control the game, and his high kicks always put us under pressure. TBH, we are still short of somebody who can kick out of hand, our tactical kicking is poor, and the penalty touch finders, even with the wind behind us, were woeful - just like last year in fact. The other game breaker for me was lamont bryan - we just couldn't hold him, and we seemed more obsessed with preventing the offload than stopping him (tackling round the legs can be helpful in this respect). All in all though, I thought we put in a terrific first half display, and the first try was quality - it does give real hope for the rest of the season. Don't know if the clown in the middle actually cost us the match, but he didn't help, and was dire for both sides - question here - how many pairs of hands can the ball go through when playing advantage ? at times last night it seemed he brought back play for the scrum long after we'd forgotten who'd knocked on. Still not enough team sheets, so I am having to wait for the match report to find out who played - AGAIN. :(

#142 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

...the narrow field and terrible weather...

Well, we knew someone couldn't resist mentioning it as an excuse didn't we?
Legs, Dews, Legs.

#143 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,857 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

Give the conditions Grumpy one.... and as far as I can remember they were perhaps the worst I've seen in the "summer era", for both sides to serve up such a blood n snot game of rugby with the result in doubt right to the very end was absolutely fabulous testimony to both sides.
Amazing how we all see the same game but yet things so slightly different. e.g. I thought Liam's kicking wasn't anywhere near his usual where as 2x40/20 and deeper kicking downfield from dews to me gave dews the edge on that facet of the game.
Lamont did indeed have a big game and for many of us made the winner with his drive pass to locky for briggsy in the corner. But for me it was Jack Bussey's introduction that turned the game for me. Dews struggled with him whilst he was on the pitch.
Dews appeared to tire in that last ten mins and hadn't built up enough of a lead to defend against a fev team with just a bit more in the tank. Good game.. hard on dews.
Conversely, that Lillycrop sort..... good player this lad.... he'll look well in a Fev shirt next year!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#144 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,857 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

are you saying they didn't affect the way the game was played????? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Edited by Robin Evans, 11 February 2013 - 10:03 AM.

#145 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

are you saying they didn't affect the way the game was played????? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I know what CF means - we get stick for the width of the pitch from more than fev supporters, but unless I'm missing something the width of the pitch is the same for both sides, so why suggest a couple of yards either side would have made a huge difference. We may just find out later in the season that we play our best rugby on the wide spaces of grounds like the bigfellers. ;)

#146 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,857 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

A narrow pitch does make it more difficult to play an expansive game. But narrow or not, playing in what was the foulest night I've watched rugby for a considerable number of years, anything but expansive was akways going to be the case.
It's not an excuse we didn't win by 50 points.... but it is one of tge major reasons!!!!
It was a good tight game played in real sh itty conditions. At times it resembled 1973 the way the game was played. I enjoyed it and if dews had held on I woukd have acknowledged what would have been an amazing effort.
I can't believe some o' the negatives on here tbh.

Edited by Robin Evans, 11 February 2013 - 12:12 PM.

#147 The Grinder

The Grinder
  • Coach
  • 631 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

and i got called a reasonable supporter by a fev fan...made my night :)

Im actually doing a mental health assessment on david tomorrow. I think he is ill! :lol:

It weren't me that said it Robin :) but guess you can guess who it was now... -_-

To be fair to Coolie though he wasn't as blinkered as some of the other fans around us.

As for the new advantage rule it ain't great, but it's here, so I wish some of the supporters would learn it.
I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

#148 The Grinder

The Grinder
  • Coach
  • 631 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

I am not saying later in the season you wont beat us. But to me, it sounds like you give a little and then take it back.

The fact is both teams played in awful conditions; You are the best team in the league and we arent, and the best you could do was a scrape of two points in the last few minutes.
As a Fev fan i wouldnt be dissapointed, I think both teams played out of their skins and there was understandably many errors. But as a Dewsbury fan I saw a team facing an uphil battle and for me, losing by two points under those circumstances and with that performance is irrelevant. Tonight I watched a brilliant game of rugby league, one where the winner doesnt matter, one where you are just glad to have watched such a game.

The rest is just detail.

Great post - for me the best team lost last night.
I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

#149 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

How is it an excuse, we won, it is a fact. iv played on it its is narrower than most amateur pitches. A Team that likes to sling the ball about on that pitch last night had no chance making the game a banana skin for Rovers, hence the joy we got through it

#150 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

I know what CF means - we get stick for the width of the pitch from more than fev supporters, but unless I'm missing something the width of the pitch is the same for both sides, so why suggest a couple of yards either side would have made a huge difference. We may just find out later in the season that we play our best rugby on the wide spaces of grounds like the bigfellers. ;)

Wind your neck in, who is giving you stick, I couldnt give a flying shittte how wide your pitch is old lad. BUT the facts are it is very narrow so you must adjust the type of game you play, we adjusted and won, were very happy, you will have to adjust your game at Rovers on a very near maximum width pitch and hopefully better weather

#151 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

Wind your neck in, who is giving you stick, I couldnt give a flying shittte how wide your pitch is old lad. BUT the facts are it is very narrow so you must adjust the type of game you play, we adjusted and won, were very happy, you will have to adjust your game at Rovers on a very near maximum width pitch and hopefully better weather

Still a valid point though lowfield - it wasn't a pop at fev supporters - EVERYBODY has a go at the pitch, but what are we expected to do ? to widen it would cost us damn near as much as it woud cost batley to level out their slope, and at the end of the day it's as narrow for us as it is for everybody else. Bottom line is, good players can adapt to all circumstances - fev have good players so there shouldn't have been a problem for them, and in fact, you would have EXPECTED their faster players to be able to make the best of the available room. Like other posters have said, yesterday was bu ggar all to do with the pitch and everything to do with the weather - oh and we played pretty well given we were hardly the bookies favourite. ;)

#152 Michael Bates

Michael Bates
  • Coach
  • 186 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

question here - how many pairs of hands can the ball go through when playing advantage ?

You get one "free play" so it can go through as many hands, feet, whatever, if there's no advantage it'll go back. We knocked on in the Cas friendly on around their 10 metre line, the play ended up Cas forcing a drop out, but the referee decided to take it back to the Cas 10 metre line for some reason. Had to explain this to some people last night moaning about us kicking into the corner "aimlessly" after a Dewsbury knock on

#153 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

Still a valid point though lowfield - it wasn't a pop at fev supporters - EVERYBODY has a go at the pitch, but what are we expected to do ? to widen it would cost us damn near as much as it woud cost batley to level out their slope, and at the end of the day it's as narrow for us as it is for everybody else. Bottom line is, good players can adapt to all circumstances - fev have good players so there shouldn't have been a problem for them, and in fact, you would have EXPECTED their faster players to be able to make the best of the available room. Like other posters have said, yesterday was bu ggar all to do with the pitch and everything to do with the weather - oh and we played pretty well given we were hardly the bookies favourite. ;)

Please read what i type, im not having a go at your pitch and couldnt give a toss if you want to play on a narrow pitch and if you dont want to widen it then dont, BUT the facts are when you play on a narrow pitch you have to adjust and we did just enough, that is the advantage of playing at home

#154 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

Amazing how we all see the same game but yet things so slightly different. e.g. I thought Liam's kicking wasn't anywhere near his usual where as 2x40/20 and deeper kicking downfield from dews to me gave dews the edge on that facet of the game.
Lamont did indeed have a big game and for many of us made the winner with his drive pass to locky for briggsy in the corner. But for me it was Jack Bussey's introduction that turned the game for me. Dews struggled with him whilst he was on the

spot on. Lamont was awesome and Finny very quiet compared to what I expected. Our kicking game was so poor we only managed 2 40-20s in the second half. Come on rams fans we can't moan about the kicking last night. If there was a problem it was that we didn't kick early enough when we were in our own half. With 15 to go and a narrow lead the best bet was to give it to Pryce and whelp it upfield. We didn't do it enough and consequently lost too much ball in our own half.

#155 bigboyroy

bigboyroy
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

Great game Sunday in terrible conditions.
Lillycrop well deserved man of match with Spicer a close second I thought.
Very disappointed to see Dewsbury lads sat in stand and two dual reg and two loan players in their place - not good.
In my opinion the dual reg players are no better than the players we're leaving out and what happens when they're recalled by their clubs ?
Is it then ok to say to our lads you can have a game now ? - As I've said before our lads aren't going to be happy training all week to have these players come in on a Friday and take their place, worryingly I think there's going to be unrest.
We should be developing our young players for the future not loosing them for players for ( in theory) short term gain
Need to stick with the squad that showed so much pre season promise.

#156 MADREDNIGE

MADREDNIGE
  • Coach
  • 124 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

Maybe so but I'd never move to Featherstone in a million years let alone watch their rugby team.

p.s. I don't live in Dewsbury.

and i use to think you were a top player/bloke , funny how wrong yer can be !

#157 MADREDNIGE

MADREDNIGE
  • Coach
  • 124 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:54 PM

A great effort from the Rams, lacked size / weight compared to Fev in the forwards and we lacked composure but that's what you get from an inexperienced side.

Surprised at the reaction from the Fev players at the end, you'd have thought they 'd beaten some top side in a crucial match rather than limping past a hastily put together bunch of Academy cast offs and a few players past their best.

I don't like singling out Rams players but I just don't get Spaven. He seems to lack any threat, tactical nous (care to explain a pointless feeble attempt at a drop goal?) and mediocre kicking game. on a lighter note, how high did Karl Pryce kick that 40/20? that must have been the highest kick I have ever seen. Hopefully, he will stay a few games before Salford sin him.

its called PASSION ! its a team game and the lads kept going for the FULL 80 mins in bad weather and after BEING 18-6 down to a DECENT rams side (not a hasitily put togeather side) the ref wa ###### (for both teams) they train and play togeather as a TEAM and WON in the end, thats why they were happy.Cant wait for the dry grounds then you,ll see a different game !!!!

#158 MADREDNIGE

MADREDNIGE
  • Coach
  • 124 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

the lads had just won a comeback against a bloody spirted dews in foul conditions going ahead with 3 mins left on the clock. Course they're going to celebrate. :rolleyes:

some bad losers robin !

#159 John North

John North
  • Coach
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:14 AM

I actually thought the rovers celebrations were a compliment to the Rams. I'd rather teams were happy to beat us rather than expecting to!
Red Amber Black - Its that simple

#160 MADREDNIGE

MADREDNIGE
  • Coach
  • 124 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:41 AM

I actually thought the rovers celebrations were a compliment to the Rams. I'd rather teams were happy to beat us rather than expecting to!

someone with some sense at last,no ones taking any thing away from dewsbury and this confirms it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users