Rule Changes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 higgy

higgy
  • 351 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

The Rugby League have announced 9 rule changes for the coming season,

I know some had been trialed in pre season friendlies with supposed success, but how crazy (mind you is anything the RFL do sane) to implement 9 changes.

Does anyone know what these 9 changes involve?

#2 Tony Mac

Tony Mac
  • Coach
  • 543 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

Hi Higgy

Link below should hopefully take you to the rfl website showing the new rule changes.

http://therfl.co.uk/...-2013-confirmed

Hope this works as my internet skills aren't the best.

Tony Mac

Nobody believes the official spokesman, but everybody trusts an unidentified source.

#3 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 661 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

Just read the new advantage rule from knock on or forward pass. The way I see it is you receive the ball from either of the above then you just boot it down field and you haven't gained an advantage. So you can throw a deliberate forward pass as long as the receiving player gets rid before he is tackled. What happens if the receiving player isn't tackled and scores???? Or am I reading wrong?

EDIT. Sorry I am reading it wrong. The wording is ambiguous cos it said 'teams' I think it means the opposing team not the team that caused the infringement.

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot, 28 January 2013 - 01:16 PM.

#4 higgy

higgy
  • 351 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

Hi Higgy

Link below should hopefully take you to the rfl website showing the new rule changes.

http://therfl.co.uk/...-2013-confirmed

Hope this works as my internet skills aren't the best.

Thanks Tony.

I still can't see the need for all these changes and Blake Solly (whoever he may be) says it will make the game faster, can't see that, the only thing I can see it will give the Sky pundits something to talk about explaining the rule changes to the public rather than telling them what a great product they have?

Changing rules like this every year makes a mockery of the game. Cant see the FA or Union doing this every year

It must be a nightmare for coaches/ refs trying to explain and implement the new rules to the players and there will be utter confusion amongst the crowds with decisions when a new rule is blown up for.

Why mend something when its not broken (yet but not far off)

#5 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

Just read the new advantage rule from knock on or forward pass. The way I see it is you receive the ball from either of the above then you just boot it down field and you haven't gained an advantage. So you can throw a deliberate forward pass as long as the receiving player gets rid before he is tackled. What happens if the receiving player isn't tackled and scores???? Or am I reading wrong?

EDIT. Sorry I am reading it wrong. The wording is ambiguous cos it said 'teams' I think it means the opposing team not the team that caused the infringement.

I suppose that it is down to interpretation, If you kicked down field and an opponent picked the ball up and was tackled closer to his own line than when you kicked, then it would be deemed, you had taken your advantage.

I think the rule is to take away a grey area, where you receive the ball in that situation, but then knock on whilst putting the ball through the hands. But have not gained any yards from that. Before it was how many passes can you make before you deem advantage has been taken.

In my view you could take away any grey areas, by not allowing advantage. I think when you are taken back across the field for an infringement that happened a fair few seconds ago, takes us too close to Rugby Union.

#6 higgy

higgy
  • 351 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

I suppose that it is down to interpretation, If you kicked down field and an opponent picked the ball up and was tackled closer to his own line than when you kicked, then it would be deemed, you had taken your advantage.

I think the rule is to take away a grey area, where you receive the ball in that situation, but then knock on whilst putting the ball through the hands. But have not gained any yards from that. Before it was how many passes can you make before you deem advantage has been taken.

In my view you could take away any grey areas, by not allowing advantage. I think when you are taken back across the field for an infringement that happened a fair few seconds ago, takes us too close to Rugby Union.

This is an incredible one.

Referee Signal for Team Captain, New interpretaion of rule.

The referee no longer needs to inform the Captain that his team has been placed on a caution?

In order to keep the game moving and spectators informed that a team has been placed on a caution for a period of time the referee will point at the team given a caution with one arm and circle his other arm in front of him. I thought this was a line dancing move.

How is this going to keep the game moving if the Ref doesn't stop the game to do this,I am sure in the heat of battle,half the players would miss this signal.

What another ludicrous idea.

Edited by higgy, 29 January 2013 - 09:46 AM.

#7 davewd

davewd
  • Facebook
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

The only advantage of a forward pass is for the team who have the BALL . When are the defending side going to get a ADVANTAGE. Or have i missed the small print.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users