Your 17 for Barrow

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 pudsey hawk

pudsey hawk
  • Coach
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

Thought welham looked good on Sunday. Would play all 4 dual reg.

#22 guest from down under

guest from down under
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

In an ideal world im sure Baz would have got 3 props a top class scrum half, but this isn't the case. Leeds either dont have these players or feel they will be involved in their 17 more often than not and would not have chance to play for us.

I totally disagree with clubs dual registering ALL players at a club, in my opinion it makes a mockery of the set up and sends out the wrong message, We had a lot of negative comments from our supporters over the Leeds link up, which we always said would be 4 players on season long dual reg. and that's what we have done, our fans know all the detals, we have 4 players and any of them 4 players could potential play for us on any given weekend in 2013. We are all totally clear about where we are, who the players are and where we stand.

Now lets take Dewsbury who have dual reg ALL the Bulls squad, now there fans are totally in the dark of who may be in their team one Sunday to the next it could be anyone, it could be 5 players it could be 1 or 3, the following week it could be a different set of 5 players, it could be a star player coming back from injury, that is ridiculous in my opinion and can only be bad for them. I thought this set up is exactly what our supporters DIDN'T WANT?

There will be an important announcement tomorrow regarding the 4 dual reg players.

Dewsbury have not D/R`d any of the Bulls squad yet and so far have only chris annikin from wakefield on D/R .

#23 hunsletnewboy

hunsletnewboy
  • Players
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

On the evidence ive seen so far this season Lee Mapels would be one of the 1st names id pick and thats coming from someone who thought he was a bit of a liability last season.Always gains ground scores tries and id back him to go round most full backs if put in the clear.

Looks ok going forward, not too sure yet about his defence, especially high balls and balls kicked low towards him. Having said that he has improved a lot since he first joined hunset. He has only scored in one match against hunslet allstars, but hopefully he can improve with time and become a danger to other defences.

#24 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

Yes he's his grandad I think

Lets hope he can play for the team his grandad once played for in the challenge cup final.

#25 noname6

noname6
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

Dewsbury have not D/R`d any of the Bulls squad yet and so far have only chris annikin from wakefield on D/R .

you can only dual reg with your partner club, so annikin will be a loan

#26 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 929 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:08 AM

Some interesting debate on this thread, and a far cry from previous seasons when the game at the weekend often approached without a word on here !!

It's also got to be good news that for the first time in years we're starting with a "proper" league game, as opposed to a low-key start in a group game of a half-baked cup competition.

I have to say I'm with Blackpoool on his comments. I don't really like dual-reg personally, and I'm quite proud of the fact that we're one of the very few (the only?) club to have never used it before this season. But if it's available and needs must then so be it, but surely the fewer the better, to help preserve the integrity of the competition as much as possible.

There's little doubt from last weekend's evidence that Moore, Achurch and Ward would be a better "fit" for our requirements, but the fact they've not been offered suggests they'll be regularly in or close to Leeds' first team squad which won't be of much use to us. In the meantime, I'm not really convinced anybody in the fullback or threequarter positions deserves to be dropped in favour of one of their dual reg opposite numbers from Sunday (assuming they are available). It wasn't the type of game where the outside backs got endless chances to shine in attack, and the defence was sound all round. Going to be particularly interesting to see who gets shirts 1-5 v. Barrow then.

Given Windley's unfortunate injury though, I would expect to see Haigh and Hood sharing the hooking duties; the back three to be unchanged (though March didn't quite seem his normal self on Sunday); Yates and Menzies to feature among the props, and Grimshaw at no 6.

But - I've not really got a clue who I'd prefer at no 7 though, or make up the rest of the props ... :unsure:

#27 suzzy

suzzy
  • Coach
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

The rhinos team even though they where mostly young lads where very well drilled fit and up for it and as a team would certainly be able to give any championship side a good game so for me the Hawks did very well and if things had come off should and would have won the game 10-6 shows that defence was the key and that boades well for both sides conditions will improve and with some tweeking and the D/R additions theres no reason why the Hawks cant be mid table at least.
chappy

#28 HunsletJosh6

HunsletJosh6
  • Coach
  • 688 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

1 Kain
2 Pryce
3 Keinhorst
4 Welham
5 Mapals
6 Grimshaw
7 Ansell
8 Yates
9 Hood
10 Houston
11 Buttery
12 Menzies
13 March

14 Haigh
15 Oakes
16 Haughey
17 Watson

Danny Ansell was completely different player on Sunday from when I've seen him play at Wakey, looked a constant threat with a very good brain. Welham given the right service in this league will score as many as any, with Grimmer running those elusive overs lines and Ansell playing straight I can see this really working.

Keinhorst will get over the shoulder of most opposing threequarter players and having someone with the pace and experienced finishing ability of Lee Mapals on his arm should give us some distance strike power in that wide area.

The pack for me is still a little bit light of a couple of 20 minute explosive props but we do compensate for this in terms of mobility, Watson, Haughey, Oakes and even Buttery would all not look out of place in the centres and if we can play off Houston and Yates in the final third it should give the two halves a real opportunity to cause problems.

Plenty of options out of acting half as we start the season and I fully expect a training field battle between Paul Hughes and Luke Haigh to emerge over the coming weeks. If Liam Hood is available more often than not we have to expect to see some ingenuity and quality in all areas of the field playing at this level, which should in turn give Haigh or Hughes a real platform to perform.

David March's stewardship from loose forward will be vital this season, I'm sure we'll be on the ropes plenty of times in the coming months and thats when we need Marchy leading from the front, directing the pack and pusing them to the limit, particuarly against the better teams to prevent us falling into that on the back foot trap.
Posted Image

#29 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,498 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

1 Kain
2 Pryce
3 Keinhorst
4 Welham
5 Mapals
6 Grimshaw
7 Ansell
8 Yates
9 Hood
10 Houston
11 Buttery
12 Menzies
13 March

14 Haigh
15 Oakes
16 Haughey
17 Watson

Danny Ansell was completely different player on Sunday from when I've seen him play at Wakey, looked a constant threat with a very good brain. Welham given the right service in this league will score as many as any, with Grimmer running those elusive overs lines and Ansell playing straight I can see this really working.

Keinhorst will get over the shoulder of most opposing threequarter players and having someone with the pace and experienced finishing ability of Lee Mapals on his arm should give us some distance strike power in that wide area.

The pack for me is still a little bit light of a couple of 20 minute explosive props but we do compensate for this in terms of mobility, Watson, Haughey, Oakes and even Buttery would all not look out of place in the centres and if we can play off Houston and Yates in the final third it should give the two halves a real opportunity to cause problems.

Plenty of options out of acting half as we start the season and I fully expect a training field battle between Paul Hughes and Luke Haigh to emerge over the coming weeks. If Liam Hood is available more often than not we have to expect to see some ingenuity and quality in all areas of the field playing at this level, which should in turn give Haigh or Hughes a real platform to perform.

David March's stewardship from loose forward will be vital this season, I'm sure we'll be on the ropes plenty of times in the coming months and thats when we need Marchy leading from the front, directing the pack and pusing them to the limit, particuarly against the better teams to prevent us falling into that on the back foot trap.

Spot on assessment Josh.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#30 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,526 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

Tough on Brickwood and Hellewell but yes id agree with that apart from Tommy starting in the 2nd row with Menzies at prop for Houston on the bench.Whoever has the goalkicking role should be out practising well before the off.
Posted Image

#31 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

How confident are yourselves coming into this game?

#32 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,498 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

Confident but nervous.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#33 morley-hawk

morley-hawk
  • Coach
  • 531 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

It's the first league game so I inevitably have that new season optimism!

My heart tells me without a doubt, 3 points, then my head reminds me I'm a Hunslet fan so now I'm not so sure!

Gaz is spot on, confident, but very nervous, we need to be winning this type of game on our own patch

Edited by morley-hawk, 01 February 2013 - 05:53 PM.

#34 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

From your point of view this is a home game against a newly promoted side so should be a must win, but we probably had a CC standard side last year and have only improved on it. Our pack is pretty massive, Averages about 6ft 2 and over 100kg but yet very mobile with the likes of Harrison and Toal who are quick enough to play in the three quarters. We're 6th favourites to win the league which is probably wrong but it shows some people have faith in us. Our hope is too dominate you down the middle and have you on the back foot. We don't want Hood controlling the game and getting the ball out to your three quarters and halves where I think you'll be most dangerous.

Looking forward too my first trip too hunslet. The game could go either way as will most games in this league bar a few, hopefully its an entertaining game.

#35 suzzy

suzzy
  • Coach
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

From your point of view this is a home game against a newly promoted side so should be a must win, but we probably had a CC standard side last year and have only improved on it. Our pack is pretty massive, Averages about 6ft 2 and over 100kg but yet very mobile with the likes of Harrison and Toal who are quick enough to play in the three quarters. We're 6th favourites to win the league which is probably wrong but it shows some people have faith in us. Our hope is too dominate you down the middle and have you on the back foot. We don't want Hood controlling the game and getting the ball out to your three quarters and halves where I think you'll be most dangerous.

Looking forward too my first trip too hunslet. The game could go either way as will most games in this league bar a few, hopefully its an entertaining game.

we might as well not turn out then omg you sound orsum :D :D :D
chappy

#36 Hunslet2012

Hunslet2012
  • Coach
  • 506 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

Did barra only just beat BARLA ?????? even with the average 6,2 and 100kg forwards

#37 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:20 PM

Did barra only just beat BARLA ?????? even with the average 6,2 and 100kg forwards

Shocking conditions to be honest it was barely playable. We'll just have to see how it goes on sunday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users