Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Finance

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

Theres an interesting article on the BBC sport website, apparently form the "Inside Out" programme suggesting that SL clubs are in debt to the tune of £68 million. This is hardly news, but I was struck by the following quote "The overall effect of that is that the league itself will struggle for finance. Using a term like 'Rugby League is staring at the financial abyss' is not too harsh a thing to say,"

Again I suspect this is hardly news to us old timers, but shows the extent to which the game as changed, the appalling way it is viewed by the media and the extent to which all those in charge have, over succesive years, allowed a negative working class view to be perpretated by the those in the media.

#2 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,623 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

And surely makes you wonder what the real agenda is.

The timing is impeccable, just before the start of SL.

No such enquiry has been launched by the BBC regarding other sports, notably RU. Saracens were said to be £24M in debt before they moved to their new £10M stadium but somehow that doesn't get onto the BBC before their major internationals kick off.

Yes, there is an agenda!!

B)
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#3 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

No such enquiry has been launched by the BBC regarding other sports, notably RU. Saracens were said to be £24M in debt before they moved to their new £10M stadium but somehow that doesn't get onto the BBC before their major internationals kick off.

B)

You're being paranoid again BSJ. To be fair, can you name any major sport that isn't laden with debt. If abramovitch pulled the plug on chelsea and asked for his brass back, I doubt whether even selling the ground would cover it. RU clubs at the top level depend largely on sugar dadies, and even county cricket clubs are on their uppers. Top and bottom is SL clubs, with one or two exceptions are totally dependant on Sky money but still can't make ends meet. If that ever becomes the case with RU, I'd be surprised if the buzzards at the beeb dont start circling there too.

#4 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

B)

It wouldn't make any difference if they did. The RU itself is awash with money - if you wanted to go and watch a major international in one of twickenhams cramped and uncomfortable seats (they really could teach ryanair a thing or two about packing them in) you would have to pay money that would make your eyes water - I believe that some of the seats for the NZ game were arround the £500 mark - if you could get them. Contrast that with the demand for RL internationals and it gives some idea of what we are up against.

#5 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,623 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

It wouldn't make any difference if they did. The RU itself is awash with money - if you wanted to go and watch a major international in one of twickenhams cramped and uncomfortable seats (they really could teach ryanair a thing or two about packing them in) you would have to pay money that would make your eyes water - I believe that some of the seats for the NZ game were arround the £500 mark - if you could get them. Contrast that with the demand for RL internationals and it gives some idea of what we are up against.

I agree. So why do they need their pals in the BBC to stick the boot in just before the start of the season? You say, quite correctly, that there isn't a sport in the UK that is making money; you don't say why there isn't a BBC documentary being made about them.

Me paranoid? Maybe, but it doesn't mean that they still aren't out to get us!

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#6 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

I agree. So why do they need their pals in the BBC to stick the boot in just before the start of the season? You say, quite correctly, that there isn't a sport in the UK that is making money; you don't say why there isn't a BBC documentary being made about them.

The BBC can't afford to fall out with the RFU - it took them long enough to get the six nations back again. To them though the odd CC game and the SL highlights are just schedule fillers. If it makes you feel better, a RU news show on sky,recently had an in depth look at the well documented difficulies of saracens, and the continueing problems on and off the field of clubs like Sale - this was just before the autumn internationals covered by sky. I can't see any reason why the BBC would want to harm the RL - they are by far their cheapest sports commodity.

#7 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

BSJ you know the BBC will jump onto any crisis situation and make a documentary on it. It's not just sport they do all kinds of documentary's. But I for one am very interested in how bad a shape our game is really in.

#8 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,623 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

The BBC can't afford to fall out with the RFU - it took them long enough to get the six nations back again. To them though the odd CC game and the SL highlights are just schedule fillers. If it makes you feel better, a RU news show on sky,recently had an in depth look at the well documented difficulies of saracens, and the continueing problems on and off the field of clubs like Sale - this was just before the autumn internationals covered by sky. I can't see any reason why the BBC would want to harm the RL - they are by far their cheapest sports commodity.

Ahah! With sky it is all about money but with the BBC there are politics at play.

Were it possible I would love to see a comparison of the educational backgrounds of the personnel at both Sky and BBc who commission programmes such as this.

No matter what you say GOR, my paranoia will not die - but I guess that you knew this already.

B)

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#9 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:56 AM

Its time someone highlited the obvious.

#10 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

Ahah! With sky it is all about money but with the BBC there are politics at play.

Were it possible I would love to see a comparison of the educational backgrounds of the personnel at both Sky and BBc who commission programmes such as this.

No matter what you say GOR, my paranoia will not die - but I guess that you knew this already.

B)

Murdoch was a poor little rich boy, not self made - doubt he ever lived in a spider infested shack with an outside dunny, or left school at fourteen. The Beeb lot were all university educated lefties and luvvies without any interest in any sport by the looks. You wouldn't want to go for a pint with any of them..

#11 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

BSJ you know the BBC will jump onto any crisis situation and make a documentary on it. It's not just sport they do all kinds of documentary's. But I for one am very interested in how bad a shape our game is really in.

Just watched the documentary - five minutes time filler telling us what RL supporters already know and non supporters couldn't give a sod about. Usual smug chairmen slagging off the SL non performers, presumably in the hope that the deadwood will be cut out in order to ensure the "successful clubs" get their noses further into the trough. Don't blame the BBC, blame the duplicitous, back stabbing chief execs who give them the ammunition.

#12 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

Good to see the other SL clubs showed their solidarity with the Bulls by sharing out the Bulls TV money between themselves. Who needs enemies.

#13 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,623 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

Just watched the documentary - five minutes time filler telling us what RL supporters already know and non supporters couldn't give a sod about. Usual smug chairmen slagging off the SL non performers, presumably in the hope that the deadwood will be cut out in order to ensure the "successful clubs" get their noses further into the trough. Don't blame the BBC, blame the duplicitous, back stabbing chief execs who give them the ammunition.

But you still fail to explain the innocent motives of the BBC making such a programme and launching it the week before SL kicks off. It's a hatchet job, just admit it!

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#14 STEVE P

STEVE P
  • Coach
  • 707 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

B)

Don't let paranoia be a part of your make up. It is important not to because if you show any signs those who are watching you could use it as an excuse to lock you up.

#15 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

Don't let paranoia be a part of your make up. It is important not to because if you show any signs those who are watching you could use it as an excuse to lock you up.

:lol:

#16 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,623 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

And if you really want an insight into the BBC attitude to RL read it on their own website:

http://news.bbc.co.u...and/1849704.stm

Note Q6 - Paul, UK

Notice their insistence that Rugby means RU - no question.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)