Photo
- - - - -

1 Feb - Leeds Rhinos v Hull FC - KO 8pm (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Voted Leeds Rhinos (17 votes [62.96%])

Percentage of vote: 62.96%

2. Hull FC (10 votes [37.04%])

Percentage of vote: 37.04%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

Discuss the opening TV game of Super League XVIII here.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

Looking forward to seeing the new look Hull FC in action, couldn't call a result and couldn't care either....I'll be just happy to see some Rugby League again!!

#3 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,104 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

My word, John's quick off the mark this season, let's see how long it lasts. :rolleyes:

As for the game, had it been mid season I would have said not much between the teams but as Leeds are a well drilled team and Hull have a fair few new faces, some in key positions, then I think we'll struggle here. Hope to be proved wrong but I expect the Headingley curse to continue.

Expect a bit off biff too as Ryan Bailey will no doubt have his orders to get under the Hull player's skins, esp. Gareth Ellis.

Leeds 28 Hull FC 18. :(

Lee Radford rang me the other week....I knew Hull FC were a bit desperate but I had no idea it had got that bad.

#4 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

My word, John's quick off the mark this season, let's see how long it lasts. :rolleyes:

As for the game, had it been mid season I would have said not much between the teams but as Leeds are a well drilled team and Hull have a fair few new faces, some in key positions, then I think we'll struggle here. Hope to be proved wrong but I expect the Headingley curse to continue.

Expect a bit off biff too as Ryan Bailey will no doubt have his orders to get under the Hull player's skins, esp. Gareth Ellis.

Leeds 28 Hull FC 18. :(

Two predictions first its going to be close.
Second I think we are going to get wet.

#5 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

Very difficult to call, but id go with Old Frightful in that as Leeds have a very settled team I think that could be the difference. But first game of the year, who knows?! Should be a good game though

Just excited that the match threads are up, we're almost there now!!!

#6 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

This should be a tough, physical opener against a much strengthened Hull team. I'm hoping home field advantage plays a big part next week and thank god the weather is improving.

For Hull, new club captain Gareth Ellis returns to play his 1st game back on English soil against the team that he gave 4 years to, winning 2 SL titles in the process. It's good to have a player of his standard back in the Super League and I am sure he will get a good reception when he runs out onto the newly laid Headingley pitch at about 7:30 on Friday evening. Hull, of course, are coming off of a bad loss to their near rivals Hull KR in last weeks preseason friendly. This though means nothing and anyone reading into last weeks game will have a shock coming their way. Hull will be pumped up for this game. They are playing a rival club in the opening game of the season, who happen to be champions and will want to start the season in a positive manner. A big crowd with a good Hull following will only help them too.

For Leeds, there is little change from last year. We have the 2 new signings in Mitch Achurch and Joel Moon, plus the late arrival of Joe Vickery, who will bolster the strength of both the run on and the the 25, but for me I am most looking forward to seeing how the younger guys develop over the course of this year. Kallum Watkins had a very good year last season which started with a crucial try against Manly where he turned Matai inside out and was capped off when he broke into the England team, scoring 4 tries in 3 games. This is a big year for him now. He has established himself but needs to kick on and become dominant in every game. He has the skill set to become the best centre we have produced in a long time. What impresses me most though is his attitude. He knows he is good but he isn't arrogant and looks like he wants to learn and improve, even if he has just come off a hat trick game.

Zak Hardaker is a young guy who I already think is the best out and out full back in the country. Does he have the same attacking threat as Sam Tomkins? Maybe not, but he is one of the most dangerous runners in the league and as awkward as he sometimes looks, he always manages to beat the 1st man, a bit like Paul Wellens used to do. The difference between those two though is speed! He must be the quickest white guy since Allan Wells! Once he finds the gap it is game over. Add to this his safe hands (people who went to the testimonial last week need not comment) and his defense and he makes us a much more dangerous prospect than we have been since Brent Webb's back went.

The biggest question for me, however, is how will our aging pack go this season. We have a couple of props who are very close to retirement, Ryan Bailey and then the quality drops off. If Leuluai and Peacock have any problems I could see the pack struggling against the bigger teams and as history shows us, when we are beaten in the pack, we don't go too well.

Anyway, Friday is week 1. This is the time of year where the "shocks" happen and although Hull beating us won't be a shock, it will be an achievement, given they are playing a team who rarely loses these opening home games (have we ever lost a week 1 match?).

I am looking forward to this already but remember, if we lose, it doesn't matter... the season doesnt start for another 8 months Posted Image

Im going for a 22-14 win to Leeds.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#7 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,333 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

Good golly, Harrigan's keen. Wrong about Hardaker, but eloquent.
Leeds are the best team in the competition, and won the last 2 competitions while in rebuilding mode. if they put their mind to it they will win against anyone, save perhaps Wire. Given how close the WCC is, now is a bad time to be playing them, as they will be more likely to hit the ground running than has typically been the case. Leeds by a lot, but FC to be much more fearsome opposition once they have bedded in.

#8 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

Good golly, Harrigan's keen. Wrong about Hardaker, but eloquent.
Leeds are the best team in the competition, and won the last 2 competitions while in rebuilding mode. if they put their mind to it they will win against anyone, save perhaps Wire. Given how close the WCC is, now is a bad time to be playing them, as they will be more likely to hit the ground running than has typically been the case. Leeds by a lot, but FC to be much more fearsome opposition once they have bedded in.

I never said he was a better player than Sam, just a better "traditional" full back. Id really think about having Sam in the halves and Zak at full back for the World cup. Both are good enough to be in the team.

#9 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,333 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

I never said he was a better player than Sam, just a better "traditional" full back. Id really think about having Sam in the halves and Zak at full back for the World cup. Both are good enough to be in the team.

I agree then - we should find a place for both of them. In the meantime, Charnley can work on getting his best mate over our side once Sam leaves for the NRL.

#10 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

I agree then - we should find a place for both of them. In the meantime, Charnley can work on getting his best mate over our side once Sam leaves for the NRL.

Funnily enough, I was thinking about that the other day, just the other way round ;) I mean, who wouldnt want to join the best young back line in the league and have a shot at winning all the trophies every year :P

#11 brooza

brooza
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

Not too sure about this one, I expect a Leeds win, but we've not had the best preseason (though neither have Hull)

The biggest question for me, however, is how will our aging pack go this season. We have a couple of props who are very close to retirement, Ryan Bailey and then the quality drops off. If Leuluai and Peacock have any problems I could see the pack struggling against the bigger teams and as history shows us, when we are beaten in the pack, we don't go too well.

This is my concern also. I'm very happy with our back line, but the forwards don't seem strong enough (in my mind at least)

if they put their mind to it they will win against anyone, save perhaps Wire.

Tell that to the Grand Final team!
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#12 brooza

brooza
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

Funnily enough, I was thinking about that the other day, just the other way round ;) I mean, who wouldnt want to join the best young back line in the league and have a shot at winning all the trophies every year :P

Not sure he'd break into the Leeds side to be honest. This season would have been his best bet with Bish being injured :P

Edited by brooza, 28 January 2013 - 03:13 PM.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#13 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

Leeds by 8.

#14 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,162 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

Hull FC, by 1-2.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#15 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

Good one to go with first on TV. Should be plenty for everyone. Expecting a bit of grunt from the FC pack but more than likely a bit too much from the Rhinos back line.
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#16 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,716 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

Leeds by 10+

Ellis to hit someone high.
There's no dignity in plastic seats

#17 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

Leeds by 10+

Ellis to hit someone high.

Bailey with any luck! ;)
Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#18 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,845 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:00 AM

Hull by 2, hopefully.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#19 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,640 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:03 AM

FC to pinch this match, really looking forward to it.

Come on 'ull

#20 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,602 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

Leeds don't start playing until September, so it doesn't really matter ;)
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users