TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

3 Feb - London Broncos v Widnes Vikings - KO 3pm

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Voted London Broncos (20 votes [74.07%])

Percentage of vote: 74.07%

2. Widnes Vikings (6 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

3. Draw (1 votes [3.70%])

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

it was a superb game, widnes went for it straight from the off, and never relented in the first half, after half time it evened out a bit more but widnes for a change rom last season held out and sealed the win, we had 6 players missing who would have been in the starting 17 and the lads who did play were excellent. jon clarke was my man of the match ollowed closely by dave allen, joe mellor made 4 of the 5 tries and had a brilliant game but a really special mention has to go to phil joseph, he never takes a backward step and made some good yards including a great break for winterstiens try. if he was an aussie journeyman people would be raving over him. as for the crowd it was definitely a big turnout from the vikings faithful and there was around 1000 of us in the capital..............and as a last note we had a celebrity sat with us.......ex arsenal and england player paul merson.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#82 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

Widnes winning was what broke TRL overnight.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#83 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#84 chrisl1

chrisl1
  • Coach
  • 588 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

Good win by Widnes particularly considering the players who weren't able to play.

#85 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:18 PM

Shambolic on the field shambolic off it

On the field London gave away a senseless head high tackle penalty from the kick off and continued in truly Powellewsque vein. Dropped passes, aimless high kicks on the sixth tackle resulting in Widnes possession on the 10 metre line rather than attempting a grubber kick in goal to get another set of six, weak defending, cluless in attack once Gower had left after 20 minutes. A performance summed up by Lovell on his own on left wing with only Jamie O'Callhan near him to his left receiving a long looping pass basically on the try line and knocking on under no pressure at all.
The one bright spot was Luke Dorn with The poacher like Dennis Moran and Mark McLinden before him seemingly having to win the game on his own. This against a Widnes side without Kevin Brown or Gareth Hock.

Less I be accused of belittling the Chemics, the scoreline was a fair reflection of the game and Widnes defended well up to a last 20 minute flurry from the Broncos. This should be a big confidence booster for the club although when the game tape is reviewed the coach may wish to point out the number of points Widnes left on the pitch particularily in the first 15 mins. 18-0 up at the half but in reality London should have been dead and buried by then. And I estimate Widnes travelling support at 800 as well.

Off the field, the club had announced that anyone who had bought a Home / Away MKK shirt in 2012 could have a £ 15 discount for the full sponsored 2013 version. So in anticipation of this and remembering the shambles at the Catalan game last year when the shirts first came out. I got there exactly 38 minutes after the gates had opened at 12.30am, at the sametime as the then tracksuited Gus Mackay. You see the sizes of shirts, Rainjackets etc on display by then was for sizes Small,to Large. I like most Rugby types am XL - 2XL with nothing on display. I ended up with a Bronco Polo. That is of course when the tills were finally able to take credit cards and the line standing to pay snaking around the small showroom. So out of a possible spend of £ 105 the club got £ 30 off me. Now I would like to think that a club without fixed assets and reliant on gate money and merchandise as its only other financial source apart from TV money and its owner would have organised things so that for the first game of the season enough stock would have been on site - and not as the two harrassed staff were saying "boxed upstairs" - and the tills were working so that fans could spend their wedge when optimism is at its highest. That's what I think but this is the London Broncos.. :angry:

A general air of gloom amongst those I spoke to about the long term future.so as I am clutching at straws tonight I do recall London giving Tony Anderson's Halifax side their only win of the season back in bthe 2003 season. London still made the playoffs.

Add to that there being no food outlets

Thought there were less than 2800 in because last year there were similar crowds announced as 2200 with the North Stand also open.

Would say Widnes perhaps brought a few more than most clubs - perhaps 750-1000 fans. They were in good voice too. Shane about the Widnes away kit - an utter shocker. What is wrong with a plain black and white banded cotton shirt?

#86 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 518 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

Add to that there being no food outlets

Thought there were less than 2800 in because last year there were similar crowds announced as 2200 with the North Stand also open.

Would say Widnes perhaps brought a few more than most clubs - perhaps 750-1000 fans. They were in good voice too. Shane about the Widnes away kit - an utter shocker. What is wrong with a plain black and white banded cotton shirt?

There was a selection of hot food dishes right next to the shop.

#87 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 518 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

Shambolic on the field shambolic off it

On the field London gave away a senseless head high tackle penalty from the kick off and continued in truly Powellewsque vein. Dropped passes, aimless high kicks on the sixth tackle resulting in Widnes possession on the 10 metre line rather than attempting a grubber kick in goal to get another set of six, weak defending, cluless in attack once Gower had left after 20 minutes. A performance summed up by Lovell on his own on left wing with only Jamie O'Callhan near him to his left receiving a long looping pass basically on the try line and knocking on under no pressure at all.
The one bright spot was Luke Dorn with The poacher like Dennis Moran and Mark McLinden before him seemingly having to win the game on his own. This against a Widnes side without Kevin Brown or Gareth Hock.

Less I be accused of belittling the Chemics, the scoreline was a fair reflection of the game and Widnes defended well up to a last 20 minute flurry from the Broncos. This should be a big confidence booster for the club although when the game tape is reviewed the coach may wish to point out the number of points Widnes left on the pitch particularily in the first 15 mins. 18-0 up at the half but in reality London should have been dead and buried by then. And I estimate Widnes travelling support at 800 as well.

Off the field, the club had announced that anyone who had bought a Home / Away MKK shirt in 2012 could have a £ 15 discount for the full sponsored 2013 version. So in anticipation of this and remembering the shambles at the Catalan game last year when the shirts first came out. I got there exactly 38 minutes after the gates had opened at 12.30am, at the sametime as the then tracksuited Gus Mackay. You see the sizes of shirts, Rainjackets etc on display by then was for sizes Small,to Large. I like most Rugby types am XL - 2XL with nothing on display. I ended up with a Bronco Polo. That is of course when the tills were finally able to take credit cards and the line standing to pay snaking around the small showroom. So out of a possible spend of £ 105 the club got £ 30 off me. Now I would like to think that a club without fixed assets and reliant on gate money and merchandise as its only other financial source apart from TV money and its owner would have organised things so that for the first game of the season enough stock would have been on site - and not as the two harrassed staff were saying "boxed upstairs" - and the tills were working so that fans could spend their wedge when optimism is at its highest. That's what I think but this is the London Broncos.. :angry:

A general air of gloom amongst those I spoke to about the long term future.so as I am clutching at straws tonight I do recall London giving Tony Anderson's Halifax side their only win of the season back in bthe 2003 season. London still made the playoffs.

I managed to get a new away shirt in the XL size with £15 discount (as I was wearing last years home shirt) about ten minutes before kick off. I had to ask them to get one from the store cupboard in my size. The assistant snipped the label of the shirt I was wearing to ensure I wasn't planning to do it again at the next game!

#88 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,712 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

Please let York into Super League. We'd get that many.

You would to start with, but you would not have a £1,000,000 to £1.500,000 subsidy from a rich owner every year.

So you wouldn't have a team as good as London and you'd lose more games more heavily than London.

By year 3 in SL you wouldn't get that many.

#89 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

You would to start with, but you would not have a £1,000,000 to £1.500,000 subsidy from a rich owner every year.

So you wouldn't have a team as good as London and you'd lose more games more heavily than London.

By year 3 in SL you wouldn't get that many.

How the hell do you know they wouldnt get a wealthy backer? York has becone a very upmarket place in recent years. The only thing putting them off is the ludicrous livensing system which means they would have next to no probability of promotion fir many years if they were bought out

#90 faithfulbyname

faithfulbyname
  • Coach
  • 119 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:01 PM

I'b be amazed if only 500 Widnes fans were there. If the crowd was 2846 and only 500 were from Widnes then you're saying the ratio was nearly 5:1 London:Widnes? Rubbish. Me and the missus left saying it was more like 1500 London to 1300 Widnes. Either way at most only about 2000 'home' fans turned up plus or minus 15-20%. And how many of them had free tickets? Club gave loads away.
Please let York into Super League. We'd get that many.

What free tickets ?? Wish they'd chucked some my way

#91 brooza

brooza
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:39 AM

What free tickets ?? Wish they'd chucked some my way

Probably the same free tickets as the Gillingham match last year (ie there weren't any)
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users