Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

3 Feb - Championship - Round 1

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

Poll: Which game are you most looking forward to? (53 member(s) have cast votes)

Which game are you most looking forward to?

1. Voted Batley Bulldogs v Keighley Cougars (6 votes [11.32%])

Percentage of vote: 11.32%

2. Doncaster v Dewsbury Rams (4 votes [7.55%])

Percentage of vote: 7.55%

3. Featherstone Rovers v Leigh Centurions (19 votes [35.85%])

Percentage of vote: 35.85%

4. Hunslet Hawks v Barrow Raiders (10 votes [18.87%])

Percentage of vote: 18.87%

5. Swinton Lions v Workington Town (10 votes [18.87%])

Percentage of vote: 18.87%

6. Whitehaven v York City Knights (4 votes [7.55%])

Percentage of vote: 7.55%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

Why would that be more true at lower levels?

More grounds without full cover. For example at Fev, it wouldn't suprise me if some fans saw it was going to rain and decided not to go because they'd get wet. I know that's illogical as they could go under cover, but not if they wanted to stand as they usually would. Full cover means fans are unlikely to move from their usual position due to the weather.

I've no concrete evidence for this, but I'd put money on the crowd for the same game being bigger on a sunny Sunday afternoon in June compared to a wet and windy Sunday in February.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#42 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,344 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

I've no concrete evidence for this, but I'd put money on the crowd for the same game being bigger on a sunny Sunday afternoon in June compared to a wet and windy Sunday in February.

Yes, no argument on that. Just not sure if that applies especially to the lower divisions, rather than as a league wide thing.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#43 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

Yes, no argument on that. Just not sure if that applies especially to the lower divisions, rather than as a league wide thing.

No way to prove it either way. :D ;)

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

#44 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,344 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

No way to prove it either way. :D ;)

Aye ;)

Like you say, at Fev for example you can always be sitting down out of the rain for the cost of basic ground admission alone. That may not be true at all Championship clubs, but is also likely to be true only at all-seater SL stadiums.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#45 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,681 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

I 'm reading some of these comments and thinking what have done to our game when as is said people won't go to watch if it' raining or too cold?

We want to consider our game as the greatest game but reading these sort of comments I wonder how soccer fans or "heaven forbid" rugby union fans manage.

If it's cold put an extra pair of soc ks and ann extra jumper on.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#46 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

I 'm reading some of these comments and thinking what have done to our game when as is said people won't go to watch if it' raining or too cold?

We want to consider our game as the greatest game but reading these sort of comments I wonder how soccer fans or "heaven forbid" rugby union fans manage.

I suspect the fans that behave in such a manner aren't the ones posting on the forum. ;)

Please view my photos.

#47 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

Attendance seemed low at 1553. I know Sheffield aren't exactly known for a huge travelling support, but do the Fax fans on here think that was a poor turn out for a season opener between the reigning NRC holders & GF winners?

There has been zero marketing from the club for this game or pretty much anything else to do with season tickets etc. They use twitter but that only hits the same fans that probably go anyway.

#48 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,357 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

There has been zero marketing from the club for this game or pretty much anything else to do with season tickets etc. They use twitter but that only hits the same fans that probably go anyway.

To be fair the club has lost a massive avenue that was heavily used with the local rag gone to a weekly from a daily paper. I agree the club should do more regards marketing. As you say the people using Facebook Page and Twitter are fans anyway.

#49 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

Fev had 1st team players giving out vouchers for cheaper family tickets in Pontefract today. Excellent bit of marketing for our first game. Daughter reports that they were doing brisk busines. Hope we get a massive crowd tomorrow.

Edited by Ponterover, 02 February 2013 - 08:22 PM.

#50 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

Fev had 1st team players giving out vouchers for cheaper family tickets in Pontefract today. Excellent bit of marketing for our first game. Daughter reports that they were doing brisk busines. Hope we get a massive crowd tomorrow.

£20 for a family is excellent - was considering claiming another Leigh fan was my son, but getting to Ponte was a problem ;)

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#51 batley bulldog

batley bulldog
  • Players
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

It will be the same batley that we have seen for the last couple of seasons. Too inconsistant!

#52 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,849 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

Leeds reserves 8 - 0 up against Barrow. They seem to be inheriting Leeds traits by getting lucky with forward passes.

#53 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

What happened to Leigh? Outclassed in every department today, must admit I was very suprised.

#54 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,849 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

Barrow beaten 42 - 12 by the Rhinos. We were the much poorer of two poor sides, if we play like that every game this season its going to be a very long one.

#55 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:41 PM

Barrow beaten 42 - 12 by the Rhinos. We were the much poorer of two poor sides, if we play like that every game this season its going to be a very long one.

So 2 dual reg players and it's the Rhinos :rolleyes:

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 03 February 2013 - 06:36 PM.

Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#56 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,790 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

Fantastic result for Town today, using only 1 DR player (Hulme on the wing covering for injured Elliot Miller) too.
Super Clarty Git Amang It Dip Fer Dippin Owt In

#57 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,917 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

Union has increased its crowds enormously at club level since going openly pro - in the winter! So perhaps someone should be examining this and looking at a return to winter Rugby - there were 2800 at Fev today - good crowd in poor weather - how many will there be in June when there are holidays and trips to the coast or barbies at home as counter attractions?
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#58 Stratobill

Stratobill
  • Coach
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

Hopefully the crowds will continue to grow when the weather improves but like you say ( Trojan ) the good weather coincides with everyone being on holiday or day trips away. The Leigh game is usually one of the better crowds we get along with Halifax so its going to take even more hard work by the club and fans to keep the attendance above the 2500 average to tick the last box for Super League entry.

Leigh were completely outclassed on Sunday in every position and we should improve as will Leigh in the next few months when first team players from both sides return from injury and the weather improves, already looking forward to our next encounter.

I would much prefer a Sunday 18.00 Kick off during the summer months to give those that do go away for the day to return and attend games but then most parents are busy trying to get kids ready for school the next day. We have experimented with kick off times at Fev but its still usually the traditional Sunday 3pm that proves more popular.

Edited by Stratobill, 04 February 2013 - 02:34 PM.

Are We Human, Or Are We Rovers. Our time For Winning Is Here And Now, So Be Loud N Proud, Lets Hear You Singing, Are We Human, Or Are Rovers. They Play With Style And Virtue, Put Their Bodys On The Line, Always Battling For The Victory, They Always Did The Best They Could, Sing Out For Fev Rovers, Blue N White Is All We Know. Stand Up Proud. Swell Your Heart. You Gotta Let Them Know, Are We Human, No We Are Rovers

#59 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

When you play the Cougars it should be a 50 each draw.

#60 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,849 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

So 2 dual reg players and it's the Rhinos :rolleyes:

If the whole Leeds squad is registered with Hunslet then isn't their more Rhinos players registered for hunslet than their own players?

Keinhorst absolutely ripped us too shreds he made a half break pretty much every time he got the ball. He should be playing SL every week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users