Get the League Express Yearbook 2013/14, The Forbidden Game, All Blacks to All Golds and many more great Rugby League books at knock down prices in our Easter Sale on now at www.totalrl.com/shop but hurry, all offers end Sunday 27th April.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Summer

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,626 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

Summer rugby being discussed tonight (28/1/2013) @ the Pennine meeting.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#2 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,172 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

no way........

#3 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

Would be good if the Pennine League moved to March-Nov. Over the next few years, most of their clubs will, and it would be good if the league as an entity did, as they have always been one of the best run amateur leagues around.

#4 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,626 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

Would be good if the Pennine League moved to March-Nov. Over the next few years, most of their clubs will, and it would be good if the league as an entity did, as they have always been one of the best run amateur leagues around.

What makes you think most of their clubs will move, the only indication I've heared is they are all happy with the winter and seem very clued up with the problems summer clubs have been having, may be it's a case of watch and wait to see if these problems can be sorted and how they will be.

#5 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,182 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:46 AM

It would be better if the PL ran both summer and winter.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#6 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,626 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:44 AM

It would be better if the PL ran both summer and winter.

Pennine talked of doing this last season using the summer as a vehicle to develop new players, this could be what was on the agenda last night.

#7 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,626 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

Not a lot to report back on from last nights meeting

It seemed the consensus was that the RFL are trying to force clubs to go summer.

90% of the clubs in the Pennine admitted to having up to 6 National Conerence League players, most of which they are about to lose back to their NCL clubs (Even the Division 6 clubs have them)

All clubs pledge their support to winter rugby and a suggestion for a winter break got shot down by the clubs.

The Pennine are looking at introducing it's own junior leagues with all clubs supporting the motion.

Apart from this it was a bog standard regional meeting.

Edited by Marauder, 29 January 2013 - 06:37 PM.

#8 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

What makes you think most of their clubs will move, the only indication I've heared is they are all happy with the winter and seem very clued up with the problems summer clubs have been having, may be it's a case of watch and wait to see if these problems can be sorted and how they will be.

I think the whole game will move to summer in due course. I think the benefits outweigh the disadvantages and I think in due course people running clubs who currently still play in summer will eventually agree with me :D

What are we now SL16, SL17? Something like that anyway. We're starting to move into the era where people moving into OA rugby will have less and less association with winter rugby and as each year goes by, we'll have less and less players and administrators who associate rugby league with a Sept-April season.

#9 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,172 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

It seemed the consensus was that the RFL are trying to force clubs to go summer.

"We would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for you pesky kids"

#10 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

Barla have agreed a policy that there will be no new playing formats , including Junior Leagues without Community Board approval.

I assume that the Pennine League will be aware of this and are to pursue the appropriate permissions via their Governing Bodies , Barla , and then the Community Board ?

I didn't appreciate though that the Pennine Clubs had become so reliant upon NCL lads. Maybe they should have embraced the Primary / Secondary rules after all. That would definitely have softened the likely exodus back to summer.....

#11 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,626 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

I think the whole game will move to summer in due course. I think the benefits outweigh the disadvantages and I think in due course people running clubs who currently still play in summer will eventually agree with me :D

What are we now SL16, SL17? Something like that anyway. We're starting to move into the era where people moving into OA rugby will have less and less association with winter rugby and as each year goes by, we'll have less and less players and administrators who associate rugby league with a Sept-April season.

Can't play without; players, club officials and Referees and I'm hearing a very different story to whats being said on here about summer being the BRIGHT new future.

#12 Ranger12

Ranger12
  • Players
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

Pennine teams are not reliant on ncl players,a lot of them play for there original clubs in winter but also like to play summer rugby,there are is only a finite number of players and unfortunately many are now playing year round which cannot be good for the game or the players long term.
Many don't seem to realise that the pennine league is the largest in the country by far,and very well run.there is nothing stopping them drawing a line in the sand and going there own way,withdrawing from barla and being totally independent .now that would be something to talk about rather than the same old drivel .
This problem isn't going away its only going to get worse,people need open constructive dialogue not the constant criticism from either side that we seem to have now.

#13 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,626 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

Barla have agreed a policy that there will be no new playing formats , including Junior Leagues without Community Board approval.

I assume that the Pennine League will be aware of this and are to pursue the appropriate permissions via their Governing Bodies , Barla , and then the Community Board ?

I didn't appreciate though that the Pennine Clubs had become so reliant upon NCL lads. Maybe they should have embraced the Primary / Secondary rules after all. That would definitely have softened the likely exodus back to summer.....

What happened at the end of summer last season :rolleyes: Yep exodus to winter, not ideal but it will happen every year, new playing formats are easy to get round when the biggest percentage of the junior sides in Yorkshire are run by Pennine league clubs, "A simple VOTE" :o

#14 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

Pennine teams are not reliant on ncl players,a lot of them play for there original clubs in winter but also like to play summer rugby,there are is only a finite number of players and unfortunately many are now playing year round which cannot be good for the game or the players long term.
Many don't seem to realise that the pennine league is the largest in the country by far,and very well run.there is nothing stopping them drawing a line in the sand and going there own way,withdrawing from barla and being totally independent .now that would be something to talk about rather than the same old drivel .
This problem isn't going away its only going to get worse,people need open constructive dialogue not the constant criticism from either side that we seem to have now.

Just trying to tease out the real issues Ranger12

Will the Pennine League accept Barla directives and back their decisions or are they effectively as independent now as the other Associate Leagues such as the various Youth and Junior Playing Leagues and the NCL itself ?

Will they too take the Associate route , or , quite frankly, just take Barla over ?

I agree with you on open constructive dialogue. Lines in the sand are as good a place to start from as anywhere else....

#15 Ranger12

Ranger12
  • Players
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

At the moment barla are a spent force and needs a top down shake up,I believe there days are numbered.
Don't know about the pennine league taking over barla that remains to be seen,but it could be a possibility.
One thing is certain every club in the pennine league supports the continuation of winter rugby,the same cant be said for the teams playing summer only .
If the pennine were to start there own junior leagues,think how many junior teams would be returning to winter,that would create huge problems for the Rfl,and force them to start listening to the amateur clubs as a whole not just a few clubs who they seem to have cherry picked as part of there long term plans.

#16 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,626 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

Just trying to tease out the real issues Ranger12

Will the Pennine League accept Barla directives and back their decisions or are they effectively as independent now as the other Associate Leagues such as the various Youth and Junior Playing Leagues and the NCL itself ?

Will they too take the Associate route , or , quite frankly, just take Barla over ?

I agree with you on open constructive dialogue. Lines in the sand are as good a place to start from as anywhere else....

Whats the problem If they take over BARLA by the ballot box.

#17 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

What happened at the end of summer last season :rolleyes: Yep exodus to winter, not ideal but it will happen every year, new playing formats are easy to get round when the biggest percentage of the junior sides in Yorkshire are run by Pennine league clubs, "A simple VOTE" :o

This would be the same clubs who voted for their junior clubs to move to summer in the first place. Not sure why they would vote now to go back to winter. Truth is most kids would rather play in the summer and most of their parents would rather watch them and do vol work in the summer. Junior clubs in Yorkshire chose to go to summer. The only reason there isn't a winter comp for junior teams in Yorkshire is because there weren't enough clubs who wanted to play in winter.

#18 St Domingos

St Domingos
  • Players
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

One of the comments made was that fellow amateurs are now using rules to stop fellow amateur players playing the game!!!

it seems scandalous that this seems the case :(

maybe, just maybe, some people should take a long hard look in the mirror and ask the question.....

Am i doing this for the good of amateur rugby league?

OR am i doing this for the good of myself (and maybe my bank balance)

Just a thought.

I still remember when we were all amateurs, working together for the good of the game - for no pay!!!

#19 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

There should be opportunities for people to play rugby league whenever and wherever they like. And once they are over 18 to play as often as they like.

That applies as equally to the south of England as the north and to July as to January.

#20 Ranger12

Ranger12
  • Players
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

This would be the same clubs who voted for their junior clubs to move to summer in the first place. Not sure why they would vote now to go back to winter. Truth is most kids would rather play in the summer and most of their parents would rather watch them and do vol work in the summer. Junior clubs in Yorkshire chose to go to summer. The only reason there isn't a winter comp for junior teams in Yorkshire is because there weren't enough clubs who wanted to play in winter.

Think your forgetting about the carrot and stick approach by the Rfl to achieve this,ie grants and funding,not all clubs were happy to go summer but had no option in the end.there now trying the same approach with open age.
Once the funding dries up we may well see a lot of clubs reverting back to winter.
Numbers training may well be up but that is certainly not the case come game day,same goes for parent participation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users