Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Summer

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,291 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:06 AM

Juniors is generally regarded as U15s and below, with Youth U16s-U18s, but I'm happy to lump them all together for the sake of this debate. I see there are 15 teams listed at U16s, not only have most of them played only 5 league games or less this season but that's also a shocking number of teams.

There were at least 26 teams at U15s for Yorkshire Juniors last summer season, judging by their website. If you add in the West Riding clubs & Hull Clubs, the winter U16s should have way more than 15 teams.

That tells us one of two things - either the game is in real crisis as there are only 15 clubs with enough players to run a team at U16s, or the vast majority of clubs now that they have been given the choice to play either winter or summer at U16s have opted for summer.

I guess we'll see when the new season starts in March.

Yorkshire Juniors U16s applications for 2013 are in - 38 teams in 4 divisions including 8 Hull sides.

37 under 15 teams including 2 from Hull.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#42 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,765 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

Yorkshire Juniors U16s applications for 2013 are in - 38 teams in 4 divisions including 8 Hull sides.

37 under 15 teams including 2 from Hull.

Surprised that more teams from Hull arn't in the league, their kids have been playing summer rugby far longer than anyone elses.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#43 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:35 PM

Surprised that more teams from Hull arn't in the league, their kids have been playing summer rugby far longer than anyone elses.

At U15s, the Yorkshire JARL isn't really open to Hull clubs, but the Hull League asked if their best two teams at U14s who have had to play up a year in Hull to get competitive games could join Yorkshire Juniors.

According to the Hull District League website (Oct 2012), there were 9 teams in their U15s 9 a side comp (including the two U14s teams playing a year up, who have now switched to summer with Yorkshire Juniors), so to get 8 teams switching to summer at U16s - yeah I'd agree, you'd expect a lot more!!! There are exactly how many U16s teams from Hull playing in winter now????

Your ignorance of junior/youth rugby is quite startling, or maybe you just prefer to ignore the facts, so that you can spout your blinkered version of the truth?

For heaven sake Marauder - accept the very stark fact that given the choice the vast, vast majority of junior and youth players when given a choice of playing winter rugby with Yorkshire Combination or summer with Yorkshire Juniors would opt to play summer rugby league.

It might not suit your agenda, but it's the truth, and the evidence is there for anyone to see.

#44 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,765 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

At U15s, the Yorkshire JARL isn't really open to Hull clubs, but the Hull League asked if their best two teams at U14s who have had to play up a year in Hull to get competitive games could join Yorkshire Juniors.

According to the Hull District League website (Oct 2012), there were 9 teams in their U15s 9 a side comp (including the two U14s teams playing a year up, who have now switched to summer with Yorkshire Juniors), so to get 8 teams switching to summer at U16s - yeah I'd agree, you'd expect a lot more!!! There are exactly how many U16s teams from Hull playing in winter now????

Your ignorance of junior/youth rugby is quite startling, or maybe you just prefer to ignore the facts, so that you can spout your blinkered version of the truth?

For heaven sake Marauder - accept the very stark fact that given the choice the vast, vast majority of junior and youth players when given a choice of playing winter rugby with Yorkshire Combination or summer with Yorkshire Juniors would opt to play summer rugby league.

It might not suit your agenda, but it's the truth, and the evidence is there for anyone to see.

Thats a nice outburst but then it was at 11.35pm, facts now thats a point, you get your facts from websites run by people who like summer rugby, I get my facts from talking to people at games and with regards to Hull I talk to relations and even friends that I made during my time playing in the Hull ARL.

(why did your own club only last two seasons in the RLC? )

Edited by Marauder, 09 February 2013 - 12:57 PM.

#45 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:25 AM

Thats a nice outburst but then it was at 11.35pm, facts now thats a point, you get your facts from websites run by people who like summer rugby, I get my facts from talking to people at games and with regards to Hull I talk to relations and even friends that I made during my time playing in the Hull ARL.

(why did your own club only last two seasons in the RLC? )

Probably for the same reasons that Crigg All Blacks are struggling to complete matches in the winter Pennine League. I don't think it's got anything to do with the weather!

#46 revtype

revtype
  • Players
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

There is a subtle difference in Hull and District youth. It has become undemocratic due to the existence of RFL paid officers on the committee. Coupled with the RFL obsession for the elite pathway (2 SL clubs in the city) life can at times be difficult for the junior clubs.

#47 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,765 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

There is a subtle difference in Hull and District youth. It has become undemocratic due to the existence of RFL paid officers on the committee. Coupled with the RFL obsession for the elite pathway (2 SL clubs in the city) life can at times be difficult for the junior clubs.

That all goes back to how and why all the unrest in the amateur game started.

Divide and conquer, tell certain people (with egos) you can run this or that level under the RFL, give some of them up to 10,000 of what they want at first (before withdrawing some a little later) and they will jump at it quicker than a tramp on a kipper.

Elite pathways, I think we should all be able to see the pathway developing, we where lead to believe that dual reg was for under 20's to develop at championship clubs but we are seeing super league players who didn't make the 17 on a weekend being shipped to championship clubs for game time, the next step will be championship players who don't make the 17 on a weekend being shipped to the NCL, this will have the knock on effect of players going to regional sides and not to the NCL `A` teams simply because amateurs get a lot more mardy than the paid ranks.

#48 old papa

old papa
  • Coach
  • 307 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:31 PM

That all goes back to how and why all the unrest in the amateur game started.

Divide and conquer, tell certain people (with egos) you can run this or that level under the RFL, give some of them up to 10,000 of what they want at first (before withdrawing some a little later) and they will jump at it quicker than a tramp on a kipper.

Elite pathways, I think we should all be able to see the pathway developing, we where lead to believe that dual reg was for under 20's to develop at championship clubs but we are seeing super league players who didn't make the 17 on a weekend being shipped to championship clubs for game time, the next step will be championship players who don't make the 17 on a weekend being shipped to the NCL, this will have the knock on effect of players going to regional sides and not to the NCL `A` teams simply because amateurs get a lot more mardy than the paid ranks.

For once I agree with you regarding the Dual registration when super league players are playing for championship clubs it devalues the championship as a league.
With regards Championship players been shipped out to NCL clubs I feel if they are returning to their junior clubs thats fine but if like the super league/championship agreement Championship clubs link up with NCL clubs I for one will not be voting for that.

#49 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,765 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

For once I agree with you regarding the Dual registration when super league players are playing for championship clubs it devalues the championship as a league.
With regards Championship players been shipped out to NCL clubs I feel if they are returning to their junior clubs thats fine but if like the super league/championship agreement Championship clubs link up with NCL clubs I for one will not be voting for that.

I hope the NCL stand strong & together, but IMO thats the pyramid the RFL want and they will use the same tactic to get their way as they have used before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users