Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

SL Debts

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,764 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

The Inside Out programme tonight at 7.30pm on BBC1 Yorks and Lincs (Channel 957 on Sky) has a piece about the £68.5 million of debt currently carried by SL clubs. Should be interesting.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#2 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,730 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

Yeah heard sumat about that on five live this morning.

#3 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

Sounds like a house of cards Keith.
COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#4 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,764 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

Sounds like a house of cards Keith.

I think some of them would have been better off playing cards bomber. :lol:

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#5 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

Are we suprised ? the clowns who run this great game are a complete joke, the dual reg system being their latest attempt to hammer in the final nail, in non Super League clubs coffin. :angry:

#6 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

Chelsea lose that much in two months! Most teams involved in professional sport has debt as long as the money that is owed is to the right people i.e Loans from directors etc its a non story and Id bet the Top flight union clubs owe far more with much greater revenue streams
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#7 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

What wonderful timing, almost as if the bbc has an agenda.

#8 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

The Majority of the top flight union teams make profit and a lot own their own stadiums.

#9 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

The Majority of the top flight union teams make profit and a lot own their own stadiums.

Name them? Ill say none do with the exception of Northampton and Leicester maybe Gloucester London Irish alone lost £1 million last financial year. As for own stadium, Sale, Wasps, Saracens, London Irish, London Welsh dont own the ground they play at whilst in league theres Wigan, London Broncos and Hull (you can argue over Salford) but as usual us fans of rugby league prefer to look at our negatives and pretend that its only us, its all the RFL etc
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#10 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:49 PM

Name them? Ill say none do with the exception of Northampton and Leicester maybe Gloucester London Irish alone lost £1 million last financial year. As for own stadium, Sale, Wasps, Saracens, London Irish, London Welsh dont own the ground they play at whilst in league theres Wigan, London Broncos and Hull (you can argue over Salford) but as usual us fans of rugby league prefer to look at our negatives and pretend that its only us, its all the RFL etc

Well said. Im sure I read somewhere that debt in union was well over£100m last year.

#11 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 840 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

The country is in recession the only way to not be in debt somehow is too win the euromillions and even then a 110 million pound win would be at least 5 of mine would be plowed into town and reds

#12 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

And the RFU makes a fortune unlike the RFL. They took in excess of 16m from 4 autumn internationals.

#13 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

And Bath, Exeter, Saracens, Worcester own theirs while London Welsh are looking to raise funds to but the Kassam.

#14 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

95% of all professional sports clubs lose money and are propped up by a rich benefactor to make up any shortfall from gate receipts. Once again the BBC saw an opportunity to try and discredit a major sport in the run up to a major event, just like the Panarama expose in the weeks leading up to the Euros, World Cup and Olympics (need I go on!).
We all know that these clubs run at a loss, and we also know there will be at least two to three clubs a year who will have winding up orders against them as Town, Haven and Barrow know to their cost, but the game is still here, we haven't lost any clubs as yet, and this year in particular with the World Cup, the game could get the shot in the arm the it needs to finally move on and prosper.
I am more worried about the long term damage the sport will suffer as a result of the loss of £10,000,000 of Sport England money than any damage done by the Inside Out documentary

#15 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

The thing I can't get over with the documentary is that George Riley presented it. He is a big league fan and always gets a snippet of RL news in his sport news features on 5 live. Why would he be party to it if he knew it would be broadcast just before the season kicks off?
Interesting bit on the website today about Kahn the new Bulls owner, who says only a couple of the clubs wanted the Bulls TV cash for this year which they forfeited when going into admin to go to helping the game. The rest voted for it to be split between themselves which it has. Says it all really - they couldn't give a flying **** about anything but themselves.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#16 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,730 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

No it wasn't good publicity at the most inopportune time ... Whereas union overflows with positive stories in the media .
It's a shame we can't market the game like their hierarchy does , especially when you consider our vastly superior product .
The more union you have foisted on your screen the more exposed as utter tripe it is. Yet they drool over it while we're good at
denigrating ourselves.

#17 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

League is far better to watch but unfortunately isn't a global sport like union hence it can't generate the same revenue that union does and the revenue it does generate is thrown away in areas like London and wales rather than look after areas who love the game

Edited by GeordieTownie, 29 January 2013 - 10:13 PM.

#18 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

I see the imbeciles down the road have a thread on this in their forum. Strangely very few people are commenting on it. I can't think why.

#19 rockerlad

rockerlad
  • Coach
  • 589 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

All clubs at any level of sport have some kind of debt. Manchester United have £300m worth of debt.

#20 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

But theirs is serviceable from the revenue they generate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users