Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Lincolnshire Floods 1953

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,352 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

60 years ago on 31st Jan. Lincolnshire, East Anglia and large parts of the Netherlands were flooded and thousands of lives lost - over 300 in the UK

see BBC

See Pathe newsreel

see UAE footage

On last nights TV Inside Out BBC TV Yorks and Lincs prog that went into rugby leagues finances, there was also 10 mins on the floods. much of it filmed at Sandilands where I now live.

Edited by JohnM, 29 January 2013 - 03:39 PM.

#2 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

60 years ago on 31st Jan. Lincolnshire, East Anglia and large parts of the Netherlands were flooded and thousands of lives lost - over 300 in the UK

see BBC

See Pathe newsreel

see UAE footage

On last nights TV Inside Out BBC TV Yorks and Lincs prog that went into rugby leagues finances, there was also 10 mins on the floods. much of it filmed at Sandilands where I now live.

This stuff fascinates me; I'm from Canvey Island in Essex which also took a few terrible hits over the years. The sea wall there should see them ok for a while to come though.

Reference in song too -

#3 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,467 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

s
On last nights TV Inside Out BBC TV Yorks and Lincs there was also 10 mins on the floods. much of it filmed at Sandilands where I now live.

So you would rather drown than go back to Lancashire?

Perfectly understandable.

;) B)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#4 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,352 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

:) :)

Its not so much that as the fact that I' have to pass through Yorkshire! :lol:

#5 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

So did the Lincolnshire floods affect rugby league's finances? :unsure:
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#6 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,467 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

'Lancashire's down that there motorway .... just follow the blue-square roadsigns ... and remember, you're not allowed to stop and ask any of the neighbouring farmers if they want to buy any lucky white heather .... keep going Sir, we've got more than enough economic migrants as it is.'

;) :)

#7 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

Watched the TV documentary some years ago with some harrowing stories told.

Edited by Saint Billinge, 30 January 2013 - 03:46 PM.

#8 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,467 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

It's certainly frightening to think that the sea can move two miles inland in a single night.

I've never really fancied living next to the sea; it frightens me.

#9 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,535 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

It's certainly frightening to think that the sea can move two miles inland in a single night.

Two miles?

The BBC have managed to move it much further inland than that.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#10 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,352 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

The major flood risk in the UK is not from the sea, I reckon. Most floods seem to come from water courses. Live near a river? Live at the bottom of a hill? Be afraid...be very afraid.!

#11 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

What caused the North Sea to swell so much it affected several countries?.......ice cap melting? Tsunami?

#12 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,352 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

Nope. Low atmospheric pressure in one area and high in another. The high pressure presses down on the water so the level rises in low pressure area. Extremely high tide owing to moon phase etc. Storm force northerly winds blow the water south into a sort of funnel - (have a look at the map) and thw water level rises. Get all three at once and well, you get what you got in 1953. The Netherlands came of worse! see http://en.wikipedia....a_flood_of_1953