Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Griff, Barrow, Cumbria/Lancashire thread

cumbria or lancashire??

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

Enlighten me please :)

hard facts, that barrow-in-furness is not in the COUNTY OF CUMBRIA!
not stupid pointless posts that barrow is in the HISTORIC county of lancashire.

im sure u know what historic means so i wont bother explaining.

#2 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

It comes under the adminstrive area of Cumbria, it was never in CUMBERLAND, and it's always been -in-Furness, Furness being a part of Lancashire.

The Admin area of Cumbria encompasses The Furness part of Lancashire, Cumberland, the major part of Westmoorland , and It may have some small parts of County Durham (although I get a nose bleed if i go too far east, hence my geoegraphy is a bit ropey over there)

#3 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,763 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

Told you so.

The 1972 Local Government Act never set out to replace the existing counties as places - it just set up new administrative areas. Since then we've had (at least) eight new Acts, changing these areas so that we're left with today's dog's breakfast. Wales is a complete shambles and is wholly unrecogisable from the situation created at 1 April 1974.

This is nothing new. There have always been border issues that have led to anomalies in places like Todmorden and Barnoldswick and, indeed, the fragmented nature of Cromartyshire led to it being administered jointly with Rossshire.

Of course, pompous, self-important local politicians couldn't resist putting up new signs all over the place to create the impression for which Shun has fallen. Contrast this with Middlesex - still regarded as a "place" yet its council was abolished in 1952. Personally, I think the Post Office (as it was at the time) has to shoulder much of the blame.

What makes me smile is that gallant people in places like Hull and Middlesbrough have fought tooth and nail for over thirty years to "get back" into Yorkshire from fictitious postal addresses like Cleveland and Humberside. Lancastrians on the other hand, have so little pride in their county that they seem all too anxious to deny that they ever lived there and claim to live in Cumbria or Cheshire or Merseyside - anywhere but Lancashire.

:lol:

Edited by Griff, 30 January 2013 - 01:18 PM.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#4 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,763 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

Here's the Act itself.

http://www.legislati...k/ukpga/1972/70

You'll search a long time for anything that alters the country's geography.

Note especially the long title.

An Act to make provision with respect to local government and the functions of local authorities in England and Wales; to amend Part II of the Transport Act 1968; to confer rights of appeal in respect of decisions relating to licences under the Home Counties (Music and Dancing) Licensing Act 1926; to make further provision with respect to magistrates’ courts committees; to abolish certain inferior courts of record; and for connected purposes

Not

An Act to make provision for embarrassed Lancastrians to pretend they live somewhere else.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by Griff, 30 January 2013 - 01:35 PM.

#5 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,763 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

Middlesbrough is actually a fine example of the hole the Government has dug for itself. It's actually in three "counties", depending on why you're asking.

Geographically, it's in the North Riding of Yorkshire.

Some ghastly Unitary Authority empties the bins and grits the roads.

If the Queen comes, the Lord Lieutenant of North Yorkshire looks after her - because that's the "ceremonial county"..

Ridiculous. <_<

Edited by Griff, 30 January 2013 - 01:45 PM.

#6 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,068 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

At one time, due to an implemented EU deadline, the UK was left with only 11 commercially-available Hazardous Waste landfill sites. Three of them were in Middlesbrough ... two on the same road.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#7 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,763 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

At one time, due to an implemented EU deadline, the UK was left with only 11 commercially-available Hazardous Waste landfill sites. Three of them were in Middlesbrough ... two on the same road.

Are they in the holes the Government dug ? :lol:

#8 D9000

D9000
  • Coach
  • 150 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

Of course, Barrow hasn't been administratively part of Lancashire since 1889, when it became a County Borough ... which only goes to show what a pointless flamin' argument it all is ...

#9 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,068 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

I think the strange thing is why it remained an outpost of Lancashire in the first place.

#10 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,045 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

My mother was born there (Walney Island) in 1912 and they were so scared of her that they kept it in Lancashire.

Have you noticed by the way that since the rash of local govt reorganisations first started, that you can no longer get a decent Lancashire cheese?

Edited by JohnM, 30 January 2013 - 06:32 PM.

#11 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

Enlighten me please :)

hard facts, that barrow-in-furness is not in the COUNTY OF CUMBRIA!
not stupid pointless posts that barrow is in the HISTORIC county of lancashire.

im sure u know what historic means so i wont bother explaining.

Barrow-in-Furness is in the county of Cumbria, and has been since (April?) 1974. Cumbria is a non-metropolitan and ceremonial county. HTH
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#12 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

It comes under the adminstrive area of Cumbria, it was never in CUMBERLAND, and it's always been -in-Furness, Furness being a part of Lancashire.

The Admin area of Cumbria encompasses The Furness part of Lancashire, Cumberland, the major part of Westmoorland , and It may have some small parts of County Durham (although I get a nose bleed if i go too far east, hence my geoegraphy is a bit ropey over there)

Don't think there's any Durham in there, but Sedbergh and the surrounding district from the West Riding of Yorkshire was included.

#13 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,068 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

Have you noticed by the way that since the rash of local govt reorganisations first started, that you can no longer get a decent Lancashire cheese?

http://www.morrisons...eciality-foods/
;)

Actually, the cheese counter is especially good.

#14 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,763 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

Barrow-in-Furness is in the county of Cumbria, and has been since (April?) 1974. Cumbria is a non-metropolitan and ceremonial county. HTH

Do you have a statutory authority for that ?

#15 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,045 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

http://www.morrisons...eciality-foods/
;)

Actually, the cheese counter is especially good.

I'm sure it is. next time I make the 35 mile round trip to the nearest Morrison's I'll give it a go. Our local (4 miles away) Coop doesn't do Lancashire.

#16 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,068 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

I'm sure it is. next time I make the 35 mile round trip to the nearest Morrison's I'll give it a go. Our local (4 miles away) Coop doesn't do Lancashire.

I have to get my Hendersons Relish from Barnsley ... I get six bottles at a time.

#17 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

Do you have a statutory authority for that ?

Have a read of the Local Government Act 1972 (linked above).

#18 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,068 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

Ten years ago, there used to be a pub in Manchester that offered a fantastic range of cheeses in their meals. I can't trace it on Google; probably shut then.

#19 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,982 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

I have to get my Hendersons Relish from Barnsley ... I get six bottles at a time.

They sell it in Asda (Owlcotes). That's where I got mine anyroad.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#20 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

Ten years ago, there used to be a pub in Manchester that offered a fantastic range of cheeses in their meals. I can't trace it on Google; probably shut then.

Thirty years ago there used to be a pub in Manchester that had knickers nailed to the ceiling. I can't be bothered to google it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users