Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

History of Bradford

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,901 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

I have no desire to educate you at all and I didn't read it in any books I read it from source. I read it in the newspapers of the day, and I think you missed my point. Switching was easy, the prospects in soccer better and IMHO when one went over successfully their rivals looked at the situation just across the city and thought - we'll have a go. But don't let me patronise you, as I say you can go read the same source material Delaney or Collins read and make your own mind up, you may come to a far more reasonable and accurate conclusion than me, and you won't have to go round asking others..

I knew you were an old codger, Parksider, but I didn't think you were that old that you were able to read about the Bradford defections in your daily newspaper.

#62 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,901 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

It's pretty imposible to say, so many years on, though from what I've read of the Park Avenue/ Northern split, the soocer side of the incident seemed to be influenced strongly by the argument that soccer would draw in more more supporters and therefore more money.

That worked out really well for them. Serves them right, the traitoress opportunists.

#63 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

That worked out really well for them. Serves them right, the traitoress opportunists.

Funnily enough, since I was born (long) after the split and knew nothing of it at the time, I was happy to watch both clubs as a kid.
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#64 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,901 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

Funnily enough, since I was born (long) after the split and knew nothing of it at the time, I was happy to watch both clubs as a kid.

One of two professional soccer matches I have watched live was a Bradford City v Bradford Park Avenue derby at Valley Parade when all the rugby was frozen off one weekend. There were 17,000 there that day. I turned to say somehting to my borther and City scored. That was the final score 1 - 0. Put me off soccer for life.

#65 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

One of two professional soccer matches I have watched live was a Bradford City v Bradford Park Avenue derby at Valley Parade when all the rugby was frozen off one weekend. There were 17,000 there that day. I turned to say somehting to my borther and City scored. That was the final score 1 - 0. Put me off soccer for life.

I haven't watched any soccer since the very early seventies - it just doesn't do anything for me these days. I still look for City's result and hope they do well, but I can't imagine ever going to watch them, to be honest. Nothing to do with me liking Park Avenue all those years ago, just that the game bores me.
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#66 stewpot01

stewpot01
  • Coach
  • 126 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

The Leeds City types were involved with a Hunslet soccer club who were turfed off Parkside to make way for Hunslet's reserves. Something lik ethat anyway. This'll tell you http://prism.talis.c...y=green%2C+mike

Utter tripe. Hunslet RLFC was born as a result of been given a grant by the Hunslet Cricket Club to play Rugby League and they played at Woodhouse Hill. The landlord raised the rent when we started to draw bigger crowds so the officials then bought the rubbish covered waste land that was to become Parkside. It has bu**er all do with football, so IF the author of that article mentions any such trash he has either not done his reserarch or is brainless.

Edited by stewpot01, 03 February 2013 - 06:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users