Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Proposal to test every worker for drugs!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

My last employer tested for drugs misuse on a random basis only. This new initiative to tackle the drug problem in the workplace, which seems to be on the increase, would be a huge task.

The question is: will it or won't it reduce the problem?

#2 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,264 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

Is this a Thing?

Has there been an Announcement?
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#3 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

Is this a Thing?

Has there been an Announcement?

It was on Breakfast TV this morning and discussed whether it would work.

#4 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,434 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

The only drug that impacts on my work is my posting-on-TRL addiction.

Oh, and tea, coffee and kitkats.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#5 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,994 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

There is no new initiative being planned, it was simply a suggestion made by the Met Police commissioner when addressing a Parliamentary committee yesterday. The medical profession has dismissed at as 'complete nonsense'.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#6 kioli

kioli
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

Police state...

#7 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,264 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

There is no new initiative being planned, it was simply a suggestion made by the Met Police commissioner when addressing a Parliamentary committee yesterday. The medical profession has dismissed at as 'complete nonsense'.

I can understand why certain professions would want testing. I seem to recall in the dim and distant one of the places I worked for reserved the right to test for certain drugs at short notice but they never actually did it.

I can't see any benefit to such an idea.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#8 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,434 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

The factory where my friend works is American-owned and exercises its contingency to do random drugs-testing. Admittedly, the results take a few days to come back, but machinery and doped up workers don't make an easy fit.

Edited by Wolford6, 30 January 2013 - 01:00 PM.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#9 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,874 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

Apart from the H&S implications to those operating machinery or driving this idea (and, ATM, it's only an idea) could be on dodgy legal ground. It is my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, it is possession of illegal substances that is against the law not their consumption.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#10 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

Apart from the H&S implications to those operating machinery or driving this idea (and, ATM, it's only an idea) could be on dodgy legal ground. It is my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, it is possession of illegal substances that is against the law not their consumption.

I know of one guy who had alcohol hidden in the yard of a factory and who would swig it during shifts. Furthermore, he would operate fork trucks. He was sent home at least once for being under the influence of alcohol. Furthermore, drugs were found at least once inside the factory.

#11 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,804 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

I can understand why certain professions would want testing. I seem to recall in the dim and distant one of the places I worked for reserved the right to test for certain drugs at short notice but they never actually did it.

If you own a drug testing lab, I can see huge benefits.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#12 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,041 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

If you own a drug testing lab, I can see huge benefits.

My missus is an analytical chemist and tests urine for various dioxins (yes she does take the #### for a living). They often need a clean sample to check the machines are working properly so she uses her own. She did used to use her male colleagues for this but they couldn't rely on the sample being 'clean'.
Fides invicta triumphat

#13 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

The factory where my friend works is American-owned and exercises its contingency to do random drugs-testing.

That's no surprise. Drug testing employees in the states is pretty common practice.

#14 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

http://www.hse.gov.uk/alcoholdrugs/index.htm
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#15 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

Having worked in the nuclear industry most of my life I just accept D&A testing as normal nowadays. Having said that in all my working life (40+ years) I have only once been picked out for a random test (1 hr notice). I passed :).
For my current employer (non-nuclear) it is mandatory to have at least one (planned) test each year and then there is the possibility of random tests during the year.
I therefore don't drink through the week but tend to get leathered Thurs, Fri, Sat :). I have never taken drugs other than alcohol and fags so the other stuff doesn't concern me.

Posted Image