Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Proposal to test every worker for drugs!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

My last employer tested for drugs misuse on a random basis only. This new initiative to tackle the drug problem in the workplace, which seems to be on the increase, would be a huge task.

The question is: will it or won't it reduce the problem?

#2 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,966 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

Is this a Thing?

Has there been an Announcement?
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#3 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

Is this a Thing?

Has there been an Announcement?

It was on Breakfast TV this morning and discussed whether it would work.

#4 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,731 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

The only drug that impacts on my work is my posting-on-TRL addiction.

Oh, and tea, coffee and kitkats.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#5 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

There is no new initiative being planned, it was simply a suggestion made by the Met Police commissioner when addressing a Parliamentary committee yesterday. The medical profession has dismissed at as 'complete nonsense'.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#6 kioli

kioli
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

Police state...

#7 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,966 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

There is no new initiative being planned, it was simply a suggestion made by the Met Police commissioner when addressing a Parliamentary committee yesterday. The medical profession has dismissed at as 'complete nonsense'.

I can understand why certain professions would want testing. I seem to recall in the dim and distant one of the places I worked for reserved the right to test for certain drugs at short notice but they never actually did it.

I can't see any benefit to such an idea.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#8 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,731 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

The factory where my friend works is American-owned and exercises its contingency to do random drugs-testing. Admittedly, the results take a few days to come back, but machinery and doped up workers don't make an easy fit.

Edited by Wolford6, 30 January 2013 - 01:00 PM.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#9 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,511 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

Apart from the H&S implications to those operating machinery or driving this idea (and, ATM, it's only an idea) could be on dodgy legal ground. It is my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, it is possession of illegal substances that is against the law not their consumption.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#10 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

Apart from the H&S implications to those operating machinery or driving this idea (and, ATM, it's only an idea) could be on dodgy legal ground. It is my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, it is possession of illegal substances that is against the law not their consumption.

I know of one guy who had alcohol hidden in the yard of a factory and who would swig it during shifts. Furthermore, he would operate fork trucks. He was sent home at least once for being under the influence of alcohol. Furthermore, drugs were found at least once inside the factory.

#11 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

I can understand why certain professions would want testing. I seem to recall in the dim and distant one of the places I worked for reserved the right to test for certain drugs at short notice but they never actually did it.

If you own a drug testing lab, I can see huge benefits.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#12 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

If you own a drug testing lab, I can see huge benefits.

My missus is an analytical chemist and tests urine for various dioxins (yes she does take the #### for a living). They often need a clean sample to check the machines are working properly so she uses her own. She did used to use her male colleagues for this but they couldn't rely on the sample being 'clean'.
Fides invicta triumphat

#13 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

The factory where my friend works is American-owned and exercises its contingency to do random drugs-testing.

That's no surprise. Drug testing employees in the states is pretty common practice.

#14 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,764 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

http://www.hse.gov.uk/alcoholdrugs/index.htm
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#15 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

Having worked in the nuclear industry most of my life I just accept D&A testing as normal nowadays. Having said that in all my working life (40+ years) I have only once been picked out for a random test (1 hr notice). I passed :).
For my current employer (non-nuclear) it is mandatory to have at least one (planned) test each year and then there is the possibility of random tests during the year.
I therefore don't drink through the week but tend to get leathered Thurs, Fri, Sat :). I have never taken drugs other than alcohol and fags so the other stuff doesn't concern me.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users