Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Brian Barwick New RFL Chairman

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
88 replies to this topic

#1 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

Good move?

http://www.therfl.co...rian-barwick-as
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#2 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,171 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

Brian Barwick will take up the position as non-Executive Chairman on Friday (February 1) and brings a wealth of experience in sport and broadcasting to the role, having held a number of senior positions including, Chief Executive of the Football Association, Controller of Sport at ITV and a number of key roles within the BBC, including Head of Television Sport.

That's got to be a point in his favour

#3 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

bit of a "old fart" though

a good point....being at the FA no doubt he'll see the value of the "england brand"....and less likely to revert back to GB

Edited by roughyedspud, 30 January 2013 - 12:19 PM.

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#4 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

He can't do any worse than the people already their. So that as to be a plus I suppose.

#5 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,112 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

Tish and piff to your lukewarm reactions.

This is a major appointment of a top name in British sporting administration. I can't imagine we could have found anybody better.
People called Romans they go the house

#6 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

".......brings a wealth of experience in sport and broadcasting to the role, having held a number of senior positions including. .....Controller of Sport at ITV and a number of key roles within the BBC, including Head of Television Sport"

Hopefully RL can make use of his experience and contacts in this area to raise the profile of our sport in the media

#7 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

i'll give him a chance then :lol:

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#8 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

Seem to think he was well thought of in his previous jobs.

Think he was one of the few at the FA during Sven's time.

#9 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,078 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

bit of a "old fart" though

He's from Liverpool, and will be attuned to the working class culture of TGG.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#10 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 969 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

Good move?

http://www.therfl.co...rian-barwick-as

Mr Barwick is a big big fan of RL, regularly mentions the sport (favourably) in his column in the Liverpool (now not so) Daily Post. Has a decent profile, on paper a good appointment.

#11 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

Seems like a pretty good appointment, with some decent experience within sport. Chief exec of the FA is no walk in the park.. and he has some pretty handy TV connections.. can only be good surely?..

Have to admit to being a bit surprised its someone so high profile.. seemed like a friendy enough bloke on the video also.

More good things coming out of the RFL..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#12 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

This seems to be a very powerful and positive appointment - frankly,it would be difficult to think of someone more suitable.

#13 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,141 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

No problem with a soccer man getting it but I'll reserve judgement on this. His time at the FA was, like most people's time at the FA, a debacle and if couldn't bring the county association blazers together there I'm not sure how he'll fare in our BARLA/NCL/RFL/SL waters here.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#14 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,006 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

Asolutely delighted to have him as Chairman of the RFL. If he can't open up doors for us as regards sponsorship etc no one can.

Edited by The Future is League, 30 January 2013 - 12:55 PM.

#15 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,524 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

:D :D great news for the sport IMHO

#16 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

i nearly fell off my chair when i saw the thread title.. its not just a good appointment IMO its a fantastic one.. he helped re shape the FA from a bumbling mess to a much better thought of and prepared set up and he seems to have his fingers on the pulse and in a few pies that can only help us with the tv..

great appointment lets hope he is given the resourse in both money and man power to make this all work.. if he doesnt then i think you need to look deeper into the RFL to find out why.

#17 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

I dunno much about him but hope he does really well. And, importantly, is given time.

Question, where does he sit in the order of things? i.e. above Nigel Wood or under him (oo-er).

I have read he was influencial in giving the England job to Steve McLaren; if only we had our own England head coach called Steve Mc who was a popular choice...

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#18 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,141 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

he helped re shape the FA from a bumbling mess to a much better thought of and prepared set up

The FA has just been publicly rebuked by MPs (pot, kettle, black etc) for its failure to exercise proper leadership.

I'm sure Barwick is a lovely man and could be a very good appointment but the one thing he did not do was save the FA.
- Severus, July 2012

#19 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

Even though the Liverpool Daily Post blog site seems to be broken, a quick snoop around suggests Barwick is good friends with Barry Hearn, the darts/snooker/table tennis bloke.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#20 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,141 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

Barry Hearn, the darts/snooker/table tennis bloke.

That's it. The Mayans were right.
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users