Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Brian Barwick New RFL Chairman

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
88 replies to this topic

#21 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,765 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

Very interesting! A man with plenty of useful connections, too.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#22 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

This seems like a great appointment, they've done well.

Cummins Out.

#23 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

The FA has just been publicly rebuked by MPs (pot, kettle, black etc) for its failure to exercise proper leadership.

I'm sure Barwick is a lovely man and could be a very good appointment but the one thing he did not do was save the FA.

When do you mean by 'just'? According to Wiki anyway, Barwick left the FA in 2008. So maybe it's all gone downhill since he left rather than gone downhill as a result of him being there?

Personally I've never heard of him as I have no interest at all in soccer but I like the sound of his media contacts. I think the media side will be an important aspect of his role given our dire exposure.

#24 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,765 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

Question, where does he sit in the order of things? i.e. above Nigel Wood or under him (oo-er).

It says Non-Executive Chairman, whatever that means, replacing Maurice Watkins.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#25 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

The FA has just been publicly rebuked by MPs (pot, kettle, black etc) for its failure to exercise proper leadership.

I'm sure Barwick is a lovely man and could be a very good appointment but the one thing he did not do was save the FA.

I didnt say he saved it but he did turn it around.. the leadership issue is about the link between the FA, the Premier League and the Football League and how the managment needs to be structured... its also baout the people now there (Barwick left in 2008).. Barwick set up the national acadmeny centre (or whatever it is called) in Burton and was instrumental in the changing strucutre of the national teams at age group level and on the womens side IIRC..

He really picked it up (save the Maclaren era) and moved it forward, the issues now i wouldnt say were of his making but i do take your point..

I think for me when you look at the FA it has so many things to deal with it must be hard to deal with them all, i think with the RFL he can really get his teeth stuck into a couple of things and make a massive difference.

#26 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

I see that it is a part time appointment but it sounds like a full time job. Is he a replacement for Lewis or is that Woods ?

#27 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,461 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

I'm more concerned as to what his role is and what his responsibilities are as "Non Executive Chairman"?

But one thing that grabs my attention is that been from a footballing background he will already no the importance of promotion and relegation.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#28 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,973 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

Right RLW, get him in the next available issue. Guest Room special maybe?

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#29 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 692 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

I think this is a very positive appointment, he has extensive experience in both media and sports administration, is well connected and knows how to negotiate must all be big pluses for the position.
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#30 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,630 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

Farce, shambles, disgrace. I blame the RFL! :lol: :lol:

#31 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,630 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

I'm more concerned as to what his role is and what his responsibilities are as "Non Executive Chairman"?

But one thing that grabs my attention is that been from a footballing background he will already no the importance of promotion and relegation.

He might be old but he is not stupid, so I think he won't be farting the in general direction of restoration of the monasteries liquidators friend that is P and R.

#32 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

He might be old but he is not stupid, so I think he won't be farting the in general direction of restoration of the monasteries liquidators friend that is P and R.

:lol:
Nicely off topic already, setting the ball up nicely for those who believe licencing hasn't done anything to improve the situation either.

However back on topic. Barwick has done a lot for grass roots football, so the least he could do is try and review the debacle that is youth development and give clubs developing young kids a set of standards to aim for like the FA charter status and minimum level 1 coaching and welfare officers in clubs.

#33 the man

the man
  • Coach
  • 638 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

Pretty sure he started as a journalist at the local Barrow paper so he will be well aware of rugby league

Posted Image

#34 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

Question, where does he sit in the order of things? i.e. above Nigel Wood or under him (oo-er).

Just to be clear, a non-executive chairman is independent of an organisation and not involved in the running of it. Their job is just to ensure the functioning of the board of directors, including setting its agenda and its relationship with the executive level. In this model the chief executive is responsible for all functions involved in running the organisation, including setting and developing strategies.

This is different to Richard Lewis' time, who as an executive chairman combined those board functions with an executive position in which he could develop strategies while his chief executive was responsible for the running of the organisation.

So in effect, it seems Nigel Wood is still god.

#35 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,973 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

Just to be clear, a non-executive chairman is independent of an organisation and not involved in the running of it. Their job is just to ensure the functioning of the board of directors, including setting its agenda and its relationship with the executive level. In this model the chief executive is responsible for all functions involved in running the organisation, including setting and developing strategies.

This is different to Richard Lewis' time, who as an executive chairman combined those board functions with an executive position in which he could develop strategies while his chief executive was responsible for the running of the organisation.

So in effect, it seems Nigel Wood is still god.

Oh.

:unsure:

It wasn't that clear.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#36 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,341 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

I read that as "his position is not one in which he'll be responsible for running the organisation, including setting and developing strategies"..........oh well, that's my initial enthusiasm punctured then.......

#37 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,855 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

Guest Room special maybe?

Yes.

We need to know who he thinks would win between a lion and a shark.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#38 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,341 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

lol

#39 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

Yes.

We need to know who he thinks would win between a lion and a shark.

I saw a dog beat a shark once on youtube.

#40 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

Barwick is an excellent appointment. Really pleased with it.
He is to replace Lewis who was senior to Nigel Wood.
It would be a laugh trying to see Wood and Barwick trying to sit next to one another in economy seats.
Barwick brings a lot of sporting and broadcasting experience with him.
I've mentioned his name on threads earlier about who should replace Lewis.
Always thought he would be an ideal candidate, now he's been appointed.
Made up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users