RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Brian Barwick New RFL Chairman

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
88 replies to this topic

#41 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

Yes.

We need to know who he thinks would win between a lion and a shark.

One would assume home advantage would be the decider of that encounter.
People called Romans they go the house

#42 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,392 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

One would assume home advantage would be the decider of that encounter.

The RFL directive on the kit and the choice of Steeden/Rhino ball could also be significant?
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#43 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

Yes.

We need to know who he thinks would win between a lion and a shark.

surely Mobyclaw or Clawfin.. thats the important questions!

#44 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

The RFL directive on the kit and the choice of Steeden/Rhino ball could also be significant?

surely there is no kit clash (although to be fair this is the RFL so god knows!) and if you give a lion a Rhino the Shark is surely ######ed!

#45 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,162 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

:lol:
Nicely off topic already, setting the ball up nicely for those who believe licencing hasn't done anything to improve the situation either.

However back on topic. Barwick has done a lot for grass roots football, so the least he could do is try and review the debacle that is youth development and give clubs developing young kids a set of standards to aim for like the FA charter status and minimum level 1 coaching and welfare officers in clubs.

Not me guv. It was Blackpool Hawk who brought in Time Team. see post #31.

#46 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

Barwick is an excellent appointment. Really pleased with it.
He is to replace Lewis who was senior to Nigel Wood.
It would be a laugh trying to see Wood and Barwick trying to sit next to one another in economy seats.
Barwick brings a lot of sporting and broadcasting experience with him.
I've mentioned his name on threads earlier about who should replace Lewis.
Always thought he would be an ideal candidate, now he's been appointed.
Made up!

Nigel Woods has his own executive jet - a C5A(it's the only thing he'll fit in). On a more serious note, the RFL seems at last to be getting it's act together. Good appointment.

#47 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

Good appointment. Best of luck to him.

#48 muffyer

muffyer
  • Players
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

There wouldn't be too many more candidates out there with better connections than Barwick - either from his time at the FA or within broadcasting. I think it's a quality appointment of a very high profile figure within sports administration.

#49 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

Just to be clear, a non-executive chairman is independent of an organisation and not involved in the running of it. Their job is just to ensure the functioning of the board of directors, including setting its agenda and its relationship with the executive level. In this model the chief executive is responsible for all functions involved in running the organisation, including setting and developing strategies.

This is different to Richard Lewis' time, who as an executive chairman combined those board functions with an executive position in which he could develop strategies while his chief executive was responsible for the running of the organisation.

So in effect, it seems Nigel Wood is still god.

Just to be clear, here is the job ad...

http://appointments....cutive-chairman
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#50 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 302 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

Good appointment IMO. Especially if he can pull some strings and get an increased RL profile on terrestrial TV.

Fingers crossed he can run the game in the best interest of Rugby League as a whole and not just pander to certain Executives/Chairmen as happens at the moment.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#51 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

".......brings a wealth of experience in sport and broadcasting to the role, having held a number of senior positions including. .....Controller of Sport at ITV and a number of key roles within the BBC, including Head of Television Sport"

Hopefully RL can make use of his experience and contacts in this area to raise the profile of our sport in the media

A media savvy Chairman is vital at this time for the game. High level experience in sport's administration and the broadcast media-sounds pretty damn good to me.

#52 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,212 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

Great news we have somebody and one who has a good CV even though I Dont know the guy. I hope he can lead the game forward and sort out many of the problems. Sadly Wood and Rimmer are still there and no doubt will still have some influence. It would be good to see exactly what his role will be and how much influence Wood and others have with his decisions etc. The game needs a leader but also one that has complete control and not one that is hampered by others. I hope now that there will be some sort of plan announced for where the game ( SL, Pro, Student, youth, grassroots, womens) is heading and how it will get there.

#53 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,162 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

Calm down LRL. Wood is the CEO.and a good job he seems to be doing, too. Barwick's is a non-exec role, its 5 to 6 days a month and If there were many problems to sort out, it would be an exec role and more than five or six days a month.

#54 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,712 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

Nice tweet from The FA!

The FA@FA
FA Chairman David Bernstein congratulates former Chief Executive Brian Barwick on his new role in rugby - http://bit.ly/WyhySP

Great appointment, you'd expect him to know a thing or two about the game looking at his career history, so should know the scale of the task ahead of him, look forward to seeing what he can achieve.

On Friday 28th March I'm taking part in the Wigan Streetsleep, raising money for The Brick charity who try to ensure nobody in Wigan finding themselves homeless spends a 2nd night on the streets and providing help and support via a foodbank.  Every penny counts so if you can spare anything at all its much appreciated - this link will take you to my sponsorship page thanks.

#55 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 430 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

Very good news

#56 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 7,707 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

Great news.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.

#57 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

Despite just to be clear's post i think some on here are still not sure what his role is.
He is effectively separate from the RFL. His role is to chair the board meetings and hold the directors responsible. The directors set the strategy - he asks the awkward questions about cost and achievement against targets.

He may bring invaluable contacts etc. for the RFL to follow up but the the key is in his title - NON executive chairman. He is not expected to do it.

His is the hand that steadied the ship.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#58 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

"In the next few months I'm going to get around a heck of a lot of rugby league people, and find out what they want and expect from the game and from us. I intend to lead from the front."

Lovely stuff. :D

Edited by Gav Wilson, 30 January 2013 - 08:57 PM.

Posted Image

#59 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

Just to be clear, here is the job ad...

http://appointments....cutive-chairman

"It is anticipated that the time commitment required to perform this role will be circa 5/6 days per month."

Makes me wonder what kind of salary he'd be on.....

#60 Cake Tiger

Cake Tiger
  • Coach
  • 684 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

To make it clear, he's not a direct replacement for Lewis. By changing the role of chairman to a non-exec role, the RFL has reduced it to a more ambassadorial position rather than a decision making position.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users