Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Someone fighting our corner at last!

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#21 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,604 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

"Salford would batter Scotland and most of the Egremont team, in the National Conference League, are more skilful than than that lumpen tangle of long limbs and blubber that generally makes up the England front and second row."

that is marvellous, I think I like this fella, I think I like him a lot.

#22 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

Dave Hadfield is a legend.

#23 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,814 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

He might be upset by the shabby way he and his sport have been treated by his newspaper, he might just not like the game as once he did or else he might be concentrating the best of his energies on his books - in which he has often excelled. There's another book out on the history of Student rugby league, I believe...

Ultimately, though, I wouldn't wish Hadfield to pretend to be happy about something if he isn't - it's just sad that there is unlikely to be a more optimistic take on the game presented in the newspaper. After all, there's rarely anything at all - other than the bare bones of an agency report - in the Independent these days.

I'm not really sure what he's unhappy about though. I have more respect for those who have strong beliefs on P&R and licensing etc and whilst they can be like a broken record at least they seem to have some passion.
Hadfield is just having a bit of a moan about not much in particular.

#24 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,149 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:18 AM

Hadfield is just having a bit of a moan about not much in particular.

He should have listened to Chuckles Chris Irvine telling everyone to positive.

But Hadfield's written variations on this theme for at least a year.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#25 faithfulbyname

faithfulbyname
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

And then they wonder why we can't get any sponsors....

Would you be happy to plough any money into a sport that is presnted in such a half hearted way. I mean, "at least the World Cup offers optimism"...FFS if that's all we get on the WC I wonder why we don't all just pack our bags and go home....

#26 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,814 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

I do often wonder why people who seem to have lost all enjoyment a sport brings carry on with it.

I've changed plenty of interests, hobbies, habits etc. over the years because I stopped enjoying them.

#27 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,467 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

And then they wonder why we can't get any sponsors....

Absolutely. With RU hacks sniping from the sideline, many potential sponsors wouldn't realise that it's a pack of lies, which is potentially damaging.

But with people who are billed as Rugby League reporters reiterating the negatives, I'm sure companies looking to offer sponsorship would have been turned off.

Of course we should not want everything reported as perfect, but there are so many positive things happening in RL right now, it'd be nice if they could get the occasional mention.

Edited by Futtocks, 01 February 2013 - 12:21 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#28 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,814 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

Absolutely. With RU hacks sniping from the sideline, many potential sponsors wouldn't realise that it's a pack of lies, which is potentially damaging.

But with people who are billed as Rugby League reporters reiterating the negatives, I'm sure companies looking to offer sponsorship would have been turned off.

Of course we should not want everything reported as perfect, but there are so many positive things happening in RL right now, it'd be nice if they could get the occasional mention.

It's when it's negativity about non-stories that I get annoyed. It's hard to criticise somebody reporting on the Salford or Bulls at the height of the crisis in a negative way, but to report on the launch of the new season in such a negative way about nothing in particular is really rubbish.

#29 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

Cone of silence for Hadfield then?! Thought we were the honest game. I like Hadfield genuinely fear for the stability and finances of our game, no point pretending all is rosey when it is far from it.

I wouldn't walk away from RL, too many years of enjoyment, scars, aches and pains from it. But I do feel very lethargic about teh new season, just not getting me excited. Feels we are shrinking into an even smaller sport, going backwards.

The rebuffing Jones is a good read, he needs to do more of this, a weekly thing pointing out Jones' lies and exagerations.

#30 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,467 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

Cone of silence for Hadfield then?! Thought we were the honest game. I like Hadfield genuinely fear for the stability and finances of our game, no point pretending all is rosey when it is far from it.

As I posted earlier, "Of course we should not want everything reported as perfect, but there are so many positive things happening in RL right now, it'd be nice if they could get the occasional mention."

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#31 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

Just seen Mascord on the SMH website is having a dig at RL fans for having a dig at George Riley's BBC piece..

we all know the game isnt in the greatest of health, but thats not to say its in bad health.. and theres a time and a place for everything. The week of the Superleague launch wasn't it.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#32 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,814 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

Love journos having a go at fans having a go at journos.

Publicly write/present something you are open to criticism - what do they want?

#33 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,011 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

I wouldn't walk away from RL, too many years of enjoyment, scars, aches and pains from it. But I do feel very lethargic about teh new season, just not getting me excited. Feels we are shrinking into an even smaller sport, going backwards.

The rebuffing Jones is a good read, he needs to do more of this, a weekly thing pointing out Jones' lies and exagerations.

Why would you feel excited about it? Almost all we have heard is that everyone is skint and its all between the 'big four' and its generally pointless.
I can't imagine why anybody but a die hard RL fan would want in.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#34 Brisvegan

Brisvegan
  • Coach
  • 177 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

While it's always nice to see the rahs getting a gold old taste of shoe pie, as they would say, I don't actually think articles like these help the cause of English RL. We know league is a better sport than union but we also know twickers is always sold out. Far better to point out the many and varied objectively proveable other ways union fails to live up to it's hype.
Example: Why apparently was England's unanticipated beating of NZ last autumn in the same category as the Generals beating the Harlem Globetrotters? I'm not going to bother doing the research but I'm 99% sure the combined revenue of every union in the world, excluding France, is less than the RFU's. You see where I'm going with this? Is it not risible that England has only won a solitary union WC? What does it say about the entire international ediface of union that little NZ is the bees knees?
Either the sport is:
1. Not as difficult as the likes of S Jones make out
2. New Zealanders are super human
3. Over developed English public schoolboys and/or the scions of West Country farming stock aren't very good at "games"...

#35 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,149 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

2. New Zealanders are super human

A fair amount of union writers - and commentators in the Bill McLaren style - do go down this route.
- Severus, July 2012

#36 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,427 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

Love journos having a go at fans having a go at journos.

Publicly write/present something you are open to criticism - what do they want?

Quite.

A Fev Blog

#37 Brisvegan

Brisvegan
  • Coach
  • 177 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

A fair amount of union writers - and commentators in the Bill McLaren style - do go down this route.

And as far as I can see it's only internet no-marks like me who consider the no brainer answer to be "no". But then I'm Australian, or a hypothetical kiwi's elevation to "superman" status is not absolute but merely relative when the cohort to which he is compared contains a great many lumps who struggle to pat their heads and rub their tummies at the same time.

#38 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,149 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

But then I'm Australian,

My sympathies.
- Severus, July 2012

#39 Brisvegan

Brisvegan
  • Coach
  • 177 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

My sympathies.

Much appreciated, it hasn't been easy but so far I've got away with it, or at least haven't imposed on Her Maj's hospitality. My strine-ness has had the effect however of disabusing me of the notion that inzidders are super human or indeed remarkable in any way excipt un their cesual dusregaird for vowel prerninciation convuntions.

#40 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

Nigel Wiskar's latest piece on the Mirror website refers glancingly to some "choice comments" Jamie Peacock is supposed to have made about that great friend to rugby league, Stephen Jones - if anybody knows what they are, I'd like to read them!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users