Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Someone fighting our corner at last!

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#121 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,028 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

Jones is rubbishing rugby league while ostensibly talking about rugby union. Again. MB knows that international rugby union is far healthier than rugby league. I've never heard him say otherwise. Have you?

Yes, in the post I quoted above.
Fides invicta triumphat

#122 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

If your first paragraph was the case then it follows that your second paragraph is true. But I don't think it is, it's quite clear, and even highlighted in bold, what MB wrote. Perhaps he was wound up and posted quickly and with hindsight doesn't think it was rubbish.

I can't debate any longer, I am just going out to the pub to watch England union. I wonder if Tuilagi gets a run on in the last 20 for his "inert" attacking threat?

#123 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,028 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

I can't debate any longer, I am just going out to the pub to watch England union. I wonder if Tuilagi gets a run on in the last 20 for his "inert" attacking threat?

Have a good one.
Fides invicta triumphat

#124 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

If your first paragraph was the case then it follows that your second paragraph is true. But I don't think it is, it's quite clear, and even highlighted in bold, what MB wrote. Perhaps he was wound up and posted quickly and with hindsight doesn't think it was rubbish.

Nowhere has MB suggested that international rugby union is less healthy than rugby league. What he is suggesting is that Jones is rubbishing a sport he has rubbished for nearly 30 years in an article ostensibly about rugby union.

That's the nature of the "rubbish" - hindsight not needed.

#125 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

Yes, in the post I quoted above.

The quote does not mention anything about international rugby union or league. Jones is rubbishing rugby league in an article about rugby union. Again.

#126 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

Dynamic rugby union player!?!? Lol!

LUNEW.jpg

#127 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

Dynamic rugby union player!?!? Lol!

Mr Dynamism himself won the game with four pulsating penalty goals. How dare you.!

#128 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:12 PM

Just revisited the actual article and Jones' quote is,

"The international scene is what sets rugby union apart from all other codes of football. Its international profile dwarfs utterly that of, say, Australian Rules, Gaelic football and rugby league."

As Brooza mentions at post #3, Jones conveniently fails to mention that little backwater sport known commonly as soccer, or Association Football. Whilst union's international profile does indeed dwarf that of the codes that he lists, it doesn't dwarf AF, therefore the statement by Jones in his first sentence is indeed absolute rubbish and the statement in his second sentence is predictably and deliberately selective in a vain attempt to back up the falsehood of the first. The guy is an obscenity.

#129 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,028 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

Just revisited the actual article and Jones' quote is,

"The international scene is what sets rugby union apart from all other codes of football. Its international profile dwarfs utterly that of, say, Australian Rules, Gaelic football and rugby league."

As Brooza mentions at post #3, Jones conveniently fails to mention that little backwater sport known commonly as soccer, or Association Football. Whilst union's international profile does indeed dwarf that of the codes that he lists, it doesn't dwarf AF, therefore the statement by Jones in his first sentence is indeed absolute rubbish and the statement in his second sentence is predictably and deliberately selective in a vain attempt to back up the falsehood of the first. The guy is an obscenity.

:lol:
Fides invicta triumphat

#130 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

:lol:

Meaning?

Edited by trakl, 10 February 2013 - 08:44 PM.

#131 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,028 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

Meaning?

That MB is wrong again. SJ hasn't said the international RU dwarfs soccer, he has said it dwarfs Gaelic football, Aussie rules and RL. He does say that the international RU scene sets it apart from other football codes.
Fides invicta triumphat

#132 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

That MB is wrong again. SJ hasn't said the international RU dwarfs soccer, he has said it dwarfs Gaelic football, Aussie rules and RL. He does say that the international RU scene sets it apart from other football codes.

I don't think you've shown MB to be wrong once - let alone again. In this instance, isn't he saying merely that association football is a football code?

Vis-a-vis rugby league, here's a quote by Wiskar early on in the article under question: "Rugby union at international level has a bigger profile than league... it would be doing something horribly wrong if it wasn't bigger."

Despite your sophistry, nowhere on this thread has MB argued the opposite. Nobody else has either.

#133 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:51 PM

What traki said in post#132.

Jones said, "...all other codes of football." I said that Jones' first sentence was wrong and that his second sentence was selective. Do keep up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users