Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Widnes players

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#41 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,422 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

Thacks is banned. Surely you've got to use the two Widnes forwards . Amazed if we don't .

#42 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

They have named 7 dual registered players which seems pointless really as 2 of them will have to be dropped from the 17, so they are playing a full complement of 5 DR
players.

Agree Keith,thats why the old way of limiting the amount of players you can register rather than Limiting the amount you can play was far better ,and again the age restriction should still apply

#43 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 800 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

If gonch is right thackray will be playing.

#44 Monkeydo

Monkeydo
  • Coach
  • 340 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

Have a read of this -
http://www.warringto...ames_on_Sunday/

It gives the impression to me that they have either 9 Warrington DR players in the squad or that some of them are properly signed on Swinton players

#45 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,705 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

I don't think the age thing is too much of a problem and I have no beef against Swinton playing Wood and McCarthy to be honest. What I can't understand is why they have 7 (some are saying 9 - Garth Walker on Twitter) Warrington players named in their 19 man squad. That to me is deliberately flouting the rule as they can only play 5 DR and/or loan players in any one game.

This is why I am not a lover of this system because there are so many ways that clubs can get round what little rules there are in place.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#46 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 456 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

I don't think the age thing is too much of a problem and I have no beef against Swinton playing Wood and McCarthy to be honest. What I can't understand is why they have 7 (some are saying 9 - Garth Walker on Twitter) Warrington players named in their 19 man squad. That to me is deliberately flouting the rule as they can only play 5 DR and/or loan players in any one game.

This is why I am not a lover of this system because there are so many ways that clubs can get round what little rules there are in place.

Keith, there is a Paul Wood named in the 19 man squad for Warrington!

#47 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,705 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

Keith, there is a Paul Wood named in the 19 man squad for Warrington!

Yes it's the same person but the link that Monkeydo has posted states that he will play at Swinton.

I am not too concerned about that but I can't help thinking that Warrington and Swinton have short circuited the system by registering several Warrington players as Swinton players. If that is the case just watch at the end of the season how they will all suddenly become Warrington players again and that is why this DR system is unworkable.

They know they could only play either 5 DR players or 5 loan players or a combination of DR and loan players up to 5 and they seem to have got round this by these players being registered with Swinton as their players, if that is what is being said is correct.

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#48 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 456 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:37 PM

I thought that once a player was named in the 19 man squad for one team, he couldn't play that weekend for the DR partner.

#49 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,705 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

I thought that once a player was named in the 19 man squad for one team, he couldn't play that weekend for the DR partner.

The way things are going who knows what's allowed or not allowed now?? They are making a right mess of it between them.

#50 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,131 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

if thats right about the Swinton side using more than 5 it makes the link ups even more of a joke...what is the championship coming too ?

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#51 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 456 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

Having now read the above article by Monkeydo, it would appear that players can be named in two 19 man squads at the same time. Soon players will be able to play one half for their parent club and then the second half for their DR club!

#52 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 834 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

Gaskell won't be playing ahead of Robinson but I don't think either will feature

#53 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

That used to be the rule cause we had it a few times with Kyle Amor ,rule was you could not be in 2 squads for same weekly round.think it changed last year

#54 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 800 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

well lets have your team havenhater

#55 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 834 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

I don't wanna curse my team I'm just hoping for the best to be honest see after training tomorrow, I was heartbroken last year to travel to Donny last year to learn no Peterson

#56 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 456 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

I am not too concerned about that but I can't help thinking that Warrington and Swinton have short circuited the system by registering several Warrington players as Swinton players. If that is the case just watch at the end of the season how they will all suddenly become Warrington players again and that is why this DR system is unworkable.

They know they could only play either 5 DR players or 5 loan players or a combination of DR and loan players up to 5 and they seem to have got round this by these players being registered with Swinton as their players, if that is what is being said is correct.

I'm confused, does this mean that the full time Warrington players which were initially Dual registered to Swinton - and are now fully registered Swinton players - will now train full time with Swinton and be paid directly through their accounts?

#57 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 531 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

They must be taking massive pay cuts if theyve now gone to beingon full time wages at warrington to part time wages at swinton or the cap is being worked somehow

#58 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

Like I have said all along this system is awfull,no limit on numbers,no age limit and this is what you get

Edited by haven4ever, 01 February 2013 - 08:42 PM.

#59 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 531 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:20 PM

Swinton for the title then shouldnt say this but good luck to town on sun then

#60 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,422 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

Yep I'm all for supplementing a full , developed squad if needed , but this is pushing things to the limit of the letter and spirit of the rule.
Are Swinton purely planning week to week then?

Edited by DavidM, 01 February 2013 - 08:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users