Widnes players

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#61 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

Sorry but you were all happy when you registered the full widnes squad,you can't have it both ways.but hey what do I know,I hope to god we don't go down this route registering loads of players.Woods said with the system the way it is ,it will be very difficult to manage ,and Keith has been saying for ages too many areas left open to abuse and this what you get

Edited by haven4ever, 01 February 2013 - 08:50 PM.

#62 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,858 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

No there looks a big difference between us and Swinton in the overall plan as regards using the link ups.
Making it a central facet of your campaign and registering a relatively small squad accordingly is very different from
the noises from our guys , but it's no surprise you fail to see the contrast and get another righteous dig in. Remember it's a long
season and that link with Saints could easily start to look very tempting down the line ...

#63 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 460 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

Sorry but you were all happy when you registered the full widnes squad,you can't have it both ways.but hey what do I know,I hope to god we don't go down this route registering loads of players.Woods said with the system the way it is ,it will be very difficult to manage ,and Keith has been saying for ages too many areas left open to abuse and this what you get

For better or worse we are stuck with the scheme for this season at least. I am sure that both our West Cumbria boards and coaches will manage the dual registration system with integrity and for the long term development of rugby league in our clubs and in our County, time will prove I'm right. What must be ensured however, from week one, is that the Rugby League manage the system thoroughly and that any manipulation or abuse of the spirit of the programme is effectively dealt with promptly. We should look to our club representatives to be the conscience of the League in this respect. No-one wants to see any club enter financial instability by using the scheme to attain short-term success.

#64 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,811 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:10 PM

Haven4ever, it's not the same as registering the whole of the Widnes staff (excluding certain players) because it didn't matter whether you register 5 , 10 or 20 players you could only play 5 at any one time and they had to fit in to your salary cap total.

What Swinton and Warrington have done here is take 6 young Warrington contract players and presumably cancelled their contracts and allowed Swinton to sign them on as Swinton players. As someone has already said are these players still full-time trained with Warrington or are they part-time with Swinton. Did these players have a choice or were they told that is what was happening?

It is not the same and nowhere near the same as Widnes registering all their players. As you know these are the sort of things that I was frightened would happen because clubs were allowed to set these links up in an ad hoc basis with different things at different clubs, but up until now everyone has played within not only the rules but the spirit of the system. That has now gone by the board if this is allowed to go unanswered by the RFL.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#65 Monkeydo

Monkeydo
  • Coach
  • 445 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

I had this urge to say 'shush, grown ups are talking', it was about an hour and a half ago, anyone else think that? :)

#66 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

But like I have kept saying Keith if you restrict the age age and number your allowed to register,then it goes a long way towards stopping this ,mcarthy and wood not be registered for a start.DR was meant to develop young players not give game time to established first team players,some time during the season we may fall foul to this and do it ,and I will be just as vocal against it then,it devalues what is a quality league

Edited by haven4ever, 01 February 2013 - 10:46 PM.

#67 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 553 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

Think ryan shaw will br cheesed off signing for swinton when he would have rather went barrow and theres glen riley would he haven chosen haven or town rather than be forced to sign for swinton

#68 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:48 PM

What a farce, and the season hasn't started yet. the game of RL is going to hell in a handcart, I was looking forward to the coming season, but the plonkers who run the game have got me wondering why we all bother.

#69 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,811 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:12 PM

But like I have kept saying Keith if you restrict the age age and number your allowed to register,then it goes a long way towards stopping this ,mcarthy and wood not be registered for a start.DR was meant to develop young players not give game time to established first team players,some time during the season we may fall foul to this and do it ,and I will be just as vocal against it then,it devalues what is a quality league

And like I keep saying Haven4ever, I am not concerned about the ages of the players. The fact that Wood and McCarthy could be playing against Town doesn't bother me one little bit providing that they were legitimate dual registered players. They are only dual registered because Warrington and swinton have worked the oracle and got 6 others that were publicised as dual registered players on what appears now to be 12 month loans, albeit they are saying they have signed for Swinton, but I would wager now that they go back to being Warrington players. We are talking here about players of the calibre of Ryan Shaw and Glen Riley giving up contracts at Warrington to sign for Swinton. No way unless there is strings attached.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#70 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:24 AM

This has certainly taken the gloss off the start of a new season in a higher division for me.
I'd not be happy if McCarthy and Wood were playing for Town.
Swinton haven't signed enough players apparently to have a squad for the season and we can see why - i'd not be happy if Town had done that either.
Can Swinton stay under the salary cap this way or are the more shenanigans going on?
It is going to be a totally false season all round. :angry:

#71 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:54 AM

The RFL don't care about the game outside of SL so I doubt they'll do anything about it but it just makes everything a bit false.

#72 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,476 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

well the rfl are trying to destroy the game and doing a damn good job of it.i for one woulld rather see us struggle all season but with the lads who are actually town players giving there all, than have this ridiculous system in place. if you look at the two squads of players who are actully there players then town win tomorrow its as simple as that. now, well were right behind the 8 ball. i hope swinton finish rock bottom and prove that this system is bloody awful and not the way to go

Edited by wonky, 02 February 2013 - 08:57 AM.

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#73 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

The DR system was never ment as a way to keep established SL first team players fit,it was always about developing the younger players.Now swinton have signed these so called wire younger players then I'd expect to see one or two of thew first team players in their squad every week.This is why them scrapping the age limit was a massive error.Have link ups if you want but why change the system that worked,only one reason to benefit the SL clubs

Edited by haven4ever, 02 February 2013 - 09:31 AM.

#74 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,858 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

I'd have been confident if town had have been playing Swinton .... But , er , it seems they ain't . Brought that rabbit out late didn't they but their squad size shows the planning gone into this ... What a whip they've given the detractors to beat the new system with . And it's only gonna get messier .. They'll be plenty more shenanigans to come this season across the league , especially if clubs are struggling ... We were playing the game with a straight bat as it should be , but others have put plenty more spin on it .

Edited by DavidM, 02 February 2013 - 10:19 AM.

#75 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

comon worky give warrington A a bloody good hiding...I for one am rooting for you guys tomorrow. If this is going to start being the norm I fear the Raiders will be doomed.

One thing if we are doomed as long as the players we have give their all thats all I ask for this season !!

Lee

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#76 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

only swinton have tried this so far so we will see if other follow
York have 11 registered on DR and 5 will play tomorrow(again due to the small squad like swinton)
Town have Widnes squad with a supposed 3 playing tomorrow(due to injury suspension)
Swinton don't know how many they have now these 6 are "their" players anyones guess
Haven none registered so far no doubt we will use players from saints
dews haven't got a scooby
same with hunslet

There was an interview on RC last night with Dave woods and he explained how difficult it is going to be to manage these links ups.He said "he was prepared to give his own players a shot and look after their intresest", but he said more important is looking after the interest of the club..He also said "but then you have the SL club to also consider and what they hope to get from the link up"

to be honest its a mess go back to the old DR and scrap the link ups

Edited by haven4ever, 02 February 2013 - 11:12 AM.

#77 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

Not very often I agree with you H4E but I'm with you on this one, it could turn into a complete farce the way it's going! :angry:
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#78 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

only swinton have tried this so far so we will see if other follow
York have 11 registered on DR and 5 will play tomorrow(again due to the small squad like swinton)
Town have Widnes squad with a supposed 3 playing tomorrow(due to injury suspension)
Swinton don't know how many they have now these 6 are "their" players anyones guess
Haven none registered so far no doubt we will use players from saints
dews haven't got a scooby
same with hunslet

There was an interview on RC last night with Dave woods and he explained how difficult it is going to be to manage these links ups.He said "he was prepared to give his own players a shot and look after their intresest", but he said more important is looking after the interest of the club..He also said "but then you have the SL club to also consider and what they hope to get from the link up"

York have a 1st team squad of 29 - hardly small.

#79 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 553 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

York have a 1st team squad of 29 - hardly small.

so their gonna leave 17 players unpaid every week then ???

#80 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,858 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

16 for Swinton in RLE ... Say no more !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users