Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Wigan-born players who signed for the Saints.

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

One that comes to mind is Bill Sayer who played against Wigan in the 1966 Challenge Cup Final.

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#2 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,934 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

Andy Platt

:D

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#3 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,834 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

Isn't it a grey area given till 2004 most will have been born in Billinge. :P

#4 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,934 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

Isn't it a grey area given till 2004 most will have been born in Billinge. :P

The Hospital was in Wigan :lol:

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#5 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,834 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

The Hospital was in Wigan :lol:

For us yes, and correctly so - but there are some in Billinge only to happy to claim it as St Helens and you can't have a sensible conversation with them sorts! ;)

#6 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,934 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

For us yes, and correctly so - but there are some in Billinge only to happy to claim it as St Helens and you can't have a sensible conversation with them sorts! ;)

Not just for us, for Ordnance Survey, Government Funds, Council Tax and Rugby, oh and housing developers.

Edited by Padge, 30 January 2013 - 10:58 PM.

#7 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

Billinge, Wiganers with their brains bashed in. :D

#8 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 596 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:53 PM

Apparantly Wigan is the place that has the largest percentage of Jeremy Kyle victims/contestants/idiots/subjects

Says it all really

#9 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,934 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:59 PM

Apparantly Wigan is the place that has the largest percentage of Jeremy Kyle victims/contestants/idiots/subjects

Says it all really

...and the people of St.Helens believe this, which says even more. :lol:

#10 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:39 AM

Our Stu was born in Billinge Hospital and I'm claiming he is a St Helener, no matter what evidence is offered. Our telephone code is St Helens (01744) as well as council tax, although , unfortunately, we have a Wigan postcode. <_<

It was founded in 1837 as a Wigan Poor Union hospital and workhouse. A friend of mine from Wigan says that one of his relatives was still in a workhouse in Wigan in the 1950s.

Edited by Saint Billinge, 31 January 2013 - 09:34 AM.

#11 Geoff Lee

Geoff Lee
  • Coach
  • 492 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

There is always a reason why people put messages up here. In this case there is an nteresting story behind it. I have almost finished writing my next novel. One minor story line is about various Wigan born players who played for the Saints. I knew a few but asked Ray who he could recall and he said he would get back to me. But I didn't think that he would do it this way.

Useful here to mention a couple of things about Ray. Most of us know him as the co-author with Tim Wilkinson of "Rugby League In Its Own Words". He is now writing a similar one called "Football In Its Own Words".

The other thing that few people will know is that Ray is actually an ex public schoolboy.
The public school he attended has produced a few other Rugby League writers too. I know this because I went to the same school (Knowsley Road Junior School) and so did Roger Grime, (French Rugby League historian), Ray French, Phillip Howard (author of Braver Than all The Rest) and possibly a couple more who I now intend to check out.

Edited by Geoff Lee, 31 January 2013 - 09:44 PM.

www.geofflee.net for news of my novels, One Winter, One Spring, One Summer, One Autumn and Two Seasons. All are written against a strong Rugby League background, set in South Lancashire and inspired by the old saying about work: "They could write a book about this place. It would be a best seller".

#12 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,822 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

There is always a reason why people put messages up here. In this case there is an nteresting story behind it. I have almost finished writing my next novel. One minor story line is about various Wigan born players who played for the Saints. I knew a few but asked Ray who he could recall and he said he would get back to me. But I didn't he would do it this way.

Useful here to mention a couple of things about Ray. Most of us know him as the co-author with Tim Wilkinson of "Rugby League In Its Own Words". He is now writing a similar one called "Football In Its Own Words".

The other thing that few people will know is that Ray is actually an ex public schoolboy.
The public school he attended has produced a few other Rugby League writers too. I know this because I went to the same school (Knowsley Road Junior School) and so did Roger Grime, (French Rugby League historian), Ray French, Phillip Howard (author of Braver Than all The Rest) and possibly a couple more who I now intend to check out.

Roger Grime is also the translator of the superb 'Champagne Rugby' by Henri Garcia, which should be required reading for any and every fan of TGG.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#13 beefy1

beefy1
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

Chris Joynt?

#14 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

There is always a reason why people put messages up here. In this case there is an nteresting story behind it. I have almost finished writing my next novel. One minor story line is about various Wigan born players who played for the Saints. I knew a few but asked Ray who he could recall and he said he would get back to me. But I didn't he would do it this way.

Geoff, what schools did Alex Service attend? As far as schools attended, I went to Windlehurst Primary and then on to Rivington Road Secondry, which did produce some pro rugby league players. Kenny Gill (Salford) was in the next year up from me.

Edited by Saint Billinge, 31 January 2013 - 09:44 AM.

#15 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,367 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

Sean Long?

#16 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

bryn hargreaves, dwayne west.........
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#17 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,651 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

Our Stu was born in Billinge Hospital and I'm claiming he is a St Helener, no matter what evidence is offered. Our telephone code is St Helens (01744) as well as council tax, although , unfortunately, we have a Wigan postcode. <_<

It was founded in 1837 as a Wigan Poor Union hospital and workhouse. A friend of mine from Wigan says that one of his relatives was still in a workhouse in Wigan in the 1950s.

My son was born in Billinge Hospital in 1969. For all those years I have shielded him from the shame. Don't make me tell him now. It could destroy him!

#18 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

Roger Grime is also the translator of the superb 'Champagne Rugby' by Henri Garcia, which should be required reading for any and every fan of TGG.

I read that book after a previous recommendation of yours and can only say that it really is a glorious book that each and every poster on these forums ought to read!

#19 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,834 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

Paul Atcherson is listed on Wiki as being born in St Helens, might be worth checking him out incase he was born in Billinge, as he fits the bill playing wise!

#20 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

My son was born in Billinge Hospital in 1969. For all those years I have shielded him from the shame. Don't make me tell him now. It could destroy him!

John, calm down! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users