Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rugby League World - Big Kick Off Issue (incl Free Handbook)

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,500 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - ISSUE 383 - MARCH 2013
Includes a FREE 64-page Super League XVIII Handbook

Available online now for iPad/Android/PC/Mac
In shops Friday 1st Feb - Order a single copy or a subscription here.

Posted Image

As is our tradition at this time of year, we’ve got features on all 14 Super League clubs, starring Tom Briscoe, Paul Wood, Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Ben Cross, Craig Hall, Lee Gilmour, Luke Robinson, Adrian Purtell, Lee Mossop, Laurent Frayssinous, Ben Cockayne, Dan Sarginson and Keiran Dixon, plus a fantastic free 64-page pocket-sized handbook you can keep with you all the way through the season.

Dave Hadfield talks to Graham Lowe about the dramatic salvation of Salford City Reds and Jamie Jones-Buchanan gets the most revealing interview you will probably ever read with Leeds Rhinos hardman Ryan Bailey.

On the Championship scene we chat to Bobbie Goulding junior about his dual registration deal with Doncaster and Andy Hoggins explains why he passed on the Winter Olympics to play Rugby League with newcomers Oxford. St Albans Centurions and the BARLA Yorkshire Cup Final are the focus of our grassroots coverage and our World Cup Countdown reaches Scotland.

Now let’s get this season started!

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

I'll read it as soon as I can, get Bailey out of my sight!

Woohoo, exitement central!!

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#3 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,080 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

Now let’s get this season started!

There's a season starting? Are you sure - I haven't read anything in the papers or heard anything on the radio. ;)

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#4 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

A Ryan Bailey pic and a headline screaming KICK-OFF!
There's no dignity in plastic seats

#5 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

who's the team wearing the football strip? ;)

#6 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,379 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

A pocket guide for Championship fans would be brilliant.

Edited by marklaspalmas, 31 January 2013 - 02:27 PM.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#7 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,500 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

A pocket guide for Championship fans would be brilliant.

It would. It's not through lack of interest on our part that we don't do one but we'd need a sponsor willing to cover the costs of doing it. They aren't cheap to produce, these kind of freebies, unfortunately. If there's anyone out there reading this who might be interested in sponsoring such an item, or in advertising with the mag in more general terms, drop me a line at john.drake@totalrl.com !

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#8 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,379 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

It would. It's not through lack of interest on our part that we don't do one but we'd need a sponsor willing to cover the costs of doing it. They aren't cheap to produce, these kind of freebies, unfortunately. If there's anyone out there reading this who might be interested in sponsoring such an item, or in advertising with the mag in more general terms, drop me a line at john.drake@totalrl.com !

Aye, ok. Who sponsors the SL booklet? Mine's not arrived yet.

#9 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

Looking at the ad on the back of this week's League Express it seems that it's sponsored by the League Express!
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#10 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

In the past it's been William Hill.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#11 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

i bought the magazine and found the booklet extremely informative, i didn't know that clive sullivan held the loiners club record for tries in a game as well as tries in a career, and they once played their home games at the boulevard and then the KC................................................
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#12 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,500 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

i bought the magazine and found the booklet extremely informative, i didn't know that clive sullivan held the loiners club record for tries in a game as well as tries in a career, and they once played their home games at the boulevard and then the KC................................................

Yep, we screwed up there. Very embarrassing for us. A basic design error that should have been picked up during proof-reading. Nothing we can do now but hold up or hands and say 'it's a fair cop, guv'. :blush:

Hope it doesn't detract too much from people enjoying the rest of the mag, though.

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#13 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

I had a brief flick and not the cram sesh I'd hoped pre-kick off, but it looks good and the booklet is good to get all the facts (however correct they may be) into one handy place and the rest is for in-depth interviews. I'm glad the Doc had an interview too.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#14 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,379 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

Mine arrived today, v.punctual to Spain, I must say.

First glance is, I like the booklet, with the squad lists. If there can't be a Championship booklet, I'd love to see at least some similar squad lists in next month's mag for handy reference.

The mag looks like the typical season opener with every SL club getting 3/4 pages and so the Championship and other areas get much less. Once a year fair enough I suppose.

One comment. From a design/layout perspective there does seem an awful lot of blank space. Throught the preview section huge white spces at the top of the page and especially noticeable on p. 61, 66, 68, 74, 80, etc. Is this intentional? Seems like a bit of a waste. 80/81 for example would've benefitted from considerably more text IMO.

#15 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,413 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

I enjoy reading the magazine though Personally itstoo much SL stuff for me and as Mark said it would be good to see the Squads at Championship and Championship 1 clubs atleast in the next issue.

I think there are some good stories out there that dont seem to get written much about. maybe an interview with George Riley and ask him in depth about his article and where he got the figures from. Another is the loss of Warren heilig from Norway RL and what the future now holds for the sport in Norway. Especially with the 9s recently being cancelled.

I liked the article on Andy Hogiins at Oxford. Nice lad who I know and decent player with an interesting background. Good to see an article about a player from outside SL and the Championship top section. I do find that often an article is just written without asking too many questions. Some hard hitting journalism digging beyond the surface of whats happening in the game would be good. Where is the game heading? What are the clubs and the RFLaiming exactly for and how do they intend to get there?

#16 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

I think you should do a plastic cover to hold your copy whilst bathing - our official don't get yer papper wet sponsor could be 'splashed' all over it - I did mention this on twitter, but no response

On another issue, hows about some articles on the real lives of championship players, working all week, training, conditioning etc, to find that instead of their name on the team sheet, it says ANOther - rehab SL player

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#17 MADREDNIGE

MADREDNIGE
  • Coach
  • 124 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

complete waste of time if you,re not bothered about super league - rugby league WORLD ? super league world would be more apt !

#18 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,500 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

complete waste of time if you,re not bothered about super league - rugby league WORLD ? super league world would be more apt !

This kind of attitude genuinely frustrates me. I'm not blaming you for it, I know it is an attitude widely prevalent these days (to the detriment of the sport too, IMO), but the circumstances that have caused that are not of our making. We simply live with the consequences, like everyone else.

Rugby League World is a Rugby League mag. About Rugby League. Not Super League, not Championship, not amateur, just Rugby League, all of it.

When I first started reading the mag myself, way back when it was still called Open Rugby, there was hardly ever anything specifically about my club in it, but I still devoured the mag each month because it was about Rugby League. It didn't matter to me whether the articles were about the amateur game, the professional game, domestic or international. I counted myself as a Rugby League fan, so it was all of interest to me, and I think I learned a lot from it and it enhanced my enjoyment of the sport as a whole, not just the narrow bit of it I went out to watch each weekend while supporting my own club.

It's a real shame that for many people nowadays, that is no longer the case: If it isn't about 'their' club, or 'their' competition, they're not interested.

I'm not sure what we at RLW can do about that.

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#19 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,379 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

As you say yyourself John, you can NEVER please everyone.

So, how about them Championship squad lists in the next issue? That way we could keep track of all the DRs, etc. ;)

Edited by marklaspalmas, 10 February 2013 - 12:09 PM.

#20 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

As you say yyourself John, you can NEVER please everyone.

So, how about them Championship squad lists in the next issue? That way we could keep track of all the DRs, etc. ;)

Oh no, there's a queue for requests!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users