Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

How times change

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,984 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

Yesterday (Jan 30th) marked the 30th anniversary of a Crown Flatt classic, witnessed by just 650 hardy (and I really mean hardy) souls.

Who else remembers this game?
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#2 guest from down under

guest from down under
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

was it the 1=0 game with hull kr . my brain hurts .

#3 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

I'm having to work on this one and my brain hurts too, GFDU. The 1-0 scorline was against York and the one against HKR was 3-2 when Paul Shuttleworth was sent off in the first half. I think our captain on that occasion was David Watkinson..
Legs, Dews, Legs.

#4 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

Hull kr was 3-2 keith
wilkinson kickand shutty got sent off
for a swing arm high tackle
cant be that game think it was a wednesday night
and the weather wasnt that bad.
30 years ago1983..wasnt the game where the bus driver had to play and we lent them some players as they were short...bridgend if i remember right.

wasnt saints at headingley either...thought that was later than 83.

#5 legin

legin
  • Players
  • 81 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

was it the Rochdale Hornets game 0-0 or 1-0 ?

#6 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,984 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

was it the Rochdale Hornets game 0-0 or 1-0 ?

Well done legin.

0-0 in constant driving rain. If anyone counted sets of six in those days - there weren't any. I don't think either side completed more than three tackles before losing the ball, and for the afficianados of contested scrums well, you just really had to be there to witness the chaos.

Reading the comments about costs of entry also made me smile as some of you would have found your place at this match. Despite the weather at least 30 of these hardy souls insisted on seeing the game out on the Long Stand (which, for our younger members, was completely uncovered) rather than pay the 30p transfer.

Aaah, those happy days of winter rugby league.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#7 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

Hull kr was 3-2 keith
wilkinson kickand shutty got sent off
for a swing arm high tackle
cant be that game think it was a wednesday night
and the weather wasnt that bad.
30 years ago1983..wasnt the game where the bus driver had to play and we lent them some players as they were short...bridgend if i remember right.

wasnt saints at headingley either...thought that was later than 83.

This is where we need BSJ to confirm things here Coolie. The HKR game was 3-2, but I thought Wilkinson kicked the penalty, Shut withe the drop(ped) goal and then got sent off. It was played a dull, windy THURSDAY evening as I recall..

I remember the 0-0 Rochdale game. I think I have only seen two nil all games (the other being Huddersfield v Salford in a cup game. Wonder if anyone can find details on that one?) There's only been one 1-0 result in my memory though.
Legs, Dews, Legs.

#8 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

Think your right on the thursday night i dont recall the floodlights on so must have been in the middle of the year

#9 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

Hull KR was during Bamford days?

Remember the Rochdale 0-0, I was frozen.

#10 FarOutRam

FarOutRam
  • Coach
  • 232 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

I remember the Hull KR game being on a thursday evening. It was april time i think. Being not long after the fire, we didn't have floodlights at our disposal anymore. Quite a long time back now. Hull KR were a decent side with the likes of Zook Ema playing for them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users