Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Alex Walmsley

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,950 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

Was that the point of his post or did it have one.

none whatsoever! I posted it on yhe wrong soddin thread! !!!
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#42 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,570 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

none whatsoever! I posted it on yhe wrong soddin thread! !!!

Right. So PSF was just being pointless and provocative. Surprised he didn't roll out the 'sold your soul' comment that is particularly de rigueur amongst many of the Featherstone Fans at the moment.

#43 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,950 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

As ot happens dd, repeating my misplaced post... I do think the dr system is flawed beyond belief and does ###### all for the game long term. Psf may well have been provocative. .. I do know this system angers hom no end.
I'm not into swerping statements about all fev fans or all batley fans. But fev's bod believe the system to be a disaster. Most fev fans feel similar. So when/if a team with dr players loses to a team without, I can see some comment coming across re that system!

#44 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,950 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

Ah the swear filter. Apparently dos spelt backwards is not acceptable :lol:

#45 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,570 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:35 PM

As ot happens dd, repeating my misplaced post... I do think the dr system is flawed beyond belief and does ###### all for the game long term. Psf may well have been provocative. .. I do know this system angers hom no end.
I'm not into swerping statements about all fev fans or all batley fans. But fev's bod believe the system to be a disaster. Most fev fans feel similar. So when/if a team with dr players loses to a team without, I can see some comment coming across re that system!

I think you will find, and I know we are going over old ground here, that an awful lot of supporters of Championship club supporters feel the same way about the link ups. I have made my concern very clear about this issue. It is though, immensely irritating when supporters of other clubs seem to think they have the moral high ground on this. Yes it is a public forum and they are entitled to comment freely about any issue they wish, but many of your supporters are nothing short of arrogant and ill informed (I think we know who they are!) about this issue and how we all feel. An example of this is on two of our threads about yesterdays game, we have two comments from fans of your club making comments or asking questions about this issue since yesterdays match.
Back to my feelings, I feel rather helpless in the sense that I am unable to influence this decision. As I have said though, to stop supporting my club is not an option. It really is easy to state that if your club did this then you would not support your club anymore, despite many of your supporters saying this! How do any of you know this? It is easy to say but not easy to do. I have commented on this before. I am delighted that up to now we have not used any Huddersfield players. Walmesley I am ok with as that would have happened previously.

Anyway, I could go on, but it is just going around the houses. All I would add is that some of your supporters need to show a little empathy and understand that while your club is in the ascendency, it's sometimes not easy being a supporter of our clubs at the moment.

By the way I did not make a sweeping statement about Featherstone supporters in any of my posts.

#46 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,950 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

If in 2006 when batley used to beat fev with a great deal of regularity, dr was introduced, I would still be against this.
I accept tour comments re dr. In your place I woukd be left in exactly the same position.

#47 Batley Bob

Batley Bob
  • Coach
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

If in 2006 when batley used to beat fev with a great deal of regularity, dr was introduced, I would still be against this.
I accept tour comments re dr. In your place I woukd be left in exactly the same position.

in the past 2/3 seasons we have had 2 dual reg / loan players , so have all championship sides (inc fev) , the majority of ours came from hudds(young and untried in SL) , apart from last season , when we had Green (hull k r )n Grehan (cas) , we won the rail cup with a try from a loan player from Hudds . This season has gone a step too far from some clubs all ready not by us tho , yet , but it does worry me , what will happen next season when rfl reduce funding to champ clubs by 10,000 , im not easy with it , but have to trust that our board will do the best for Batley n the championship , its easy to preach when your clubs not doing it , but it is out of our hands , the RFL have now opened pandoras box , it wont be easy to shut it back up now , I dont like this , but how as fans do we stop it

Edited by Batley Bob, 09 February 2013 - 07:07 PM.

#48 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,950 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

Dunno bob. But if my club was foing it I'd be no less vociferous in my opposition to it.
For some who perhaps aren't as hardened as ourselves and the distant one, the DR is a bridge too far! I know of fans of fev n york who say this is enough. Only time will tell if they mean it.

#49 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,570 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

Dunno bob. But if my club was foing it I'd be no less vociferous in my opposition to it.
For some who perhaps aren't as hardened as ourselves and the distant one, the DR is a bridge too far! I know of fans of fev n york who say this is enough. Only time will tell if they mean it.

Hardened perhaps Robin, but struggling with supporting the club and game I have loved and followed for over 45 years.

#50 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,950 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

I first watch fev v wigan as a 12 year old on a dreary afternoon in 1973.
I have never felt more despondent and disillusioned about the game in all those years. Sad.

#51 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

Hardened perhaps Robin, but struggling with supporting the club and game I have loved and followed for over 45 years.

DD I would stop watching Fev if we became involved in the DR system that's going on and I've watched Fev for over 25 years. I'm that angry with it that I feel that strongly against it that I'm not going to the away game tomorrow and I haven't missed one game away or home in 25 years. I am totally against it and If I attend tomorrow and pay the attendance fee to watch my team I feel like I would be supporting the DR system and I just can't bring myself to put my hand in my pocket and give it to a SL A team. I might change my mind after missing the game as I might miss not attending the game but it shouldn't have come to this IMO.

Edited by thundergaz, 09 February 2013 - 07:26 PM.

#52 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

I don't blame anyone for making there own decision whether to attend or not but i will be there tommorrow night and I totally understand the Batley people and supporters of other clubs attending matches The reason to go is to support the players who put the body on the line to entertain us every week As I have said before its not the supporters fault that this has happened it's the championships chairman who are at fault for linking up

Edited by jt, 09 February 2013 - 07:38 PM.

#53 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:08 PM

I have never felt more despondent and disillusioned about the game in all those years. Sad.

Me as well Robin, after more than 50 years watching and working for the game I feel like I've been kicked in the guts. Sickening, I never thought we could stoop so low. Famous old clubs reduced to A teams, disgraceful!
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#54 Batley Bob

Batley Bob
  • Coach
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

Me as well Robin, after more than 50 years watching and working for the game I feel like I've been kicked in the guts. Sickening, I never thought we could stoop so low. Famous old clubs reduced to A teams, disgraceful!

we have played 2 games , and no Giant players have played yet , we have alex n flemin on season long dr,s from saints n cas , i can live with that , but a different 4 or 5 players each week like huns an swinton are doing is a totally different scenario

#55 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 533 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

I support the original DR system whereby a couple of young players gained experience with a Championship club. It was good to see talented young players at this level (this includes a certain Mr Walmsley who was still playing in student games last year and hasn't played an SL game yet). However, I'm totally against a system that uses the Championship clubs as a sort of A team. It's a sad state of affairs when SL clubs feel that they cannot afford to run a second string.

It has been widely stated that there will be no pressure on the Championship clubs to play the DR players; but surely there will be temptation for a SL club to threaten to sever their tie with a Championship club if they feel that their needs are not being met?

I don't go to many away games these days,and I pick and choose those which I will attend. Part of the criteria this season will be that I won't be visiting teams that I believe are abusing the system. Two teams mentioned by Batley Bob in the previous post will not get my custom.

Edited by Bi11, 09 February 2013 - 08:49 PM.

#56 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

we have played 2 games , and no Giant players have played yet , we have alex n flemin on season long dr,s from saints n cas , i can live with that , but a different 4 or 5 players each week like huns an swinton are doing is a totally different scenario

And therein lies the point. Despite most people lumping Batley into the disgrace of DR, we aren't actually abusing it (certainly at present). It would not in any way surprise me if we play most of the season with BATLEY players in the 17. The only way the DR system will be "abused" by Batley is if there is a major injury crisis at the Mount. In the games against Keighley and Sheffield we have fielded a total of 2 DR slots out of 34 (both times Walmsley, who was a Batley player anyway last season). I really don't see a scenario where we have 5 SL cast-offs in the 17 at any time this season, but I do agree that it's a farce that some teams are choosing this route. It makes an absolute lottery of the fixture list.

#57 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,570 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:47 PM

And therein lies the point. Despite most people lumping Batley into the disgrace of DR, we aren't actually abusing it (certainly at present). It would not in any way surprise me if we play most of the season with BATLEY players in the 17. The only way the DR system will be "abused" by Batley is if there is a major injury crisis at the Mount. In the games against Keighley and Sheffield we have fielded a total of 2 DR slots out of 34 (both times Walmsley, who was a Batley player anyway last season). I really don't see a scenario where we have 5 SL cast-offs in the 17 at any time this season, but I do agree that it's a farce that some teams are choosing this route. It makes an absolute lottery of the fixture list.

I have said it before, but the only truly outstanding dual reg player we have had has been McGilvary. Others have been OK but only JMc was outstanding. Walmesley is ours so I do not count him! I honestly believe we could have and would survive without the partnership with the Giants. However the medical support is an added bonus.

#58 Philius T Wilderbeest

Philius T Wilderbeest
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

I have said it before, but the only truly outstanding dual reg player we have had has been McGilvary. Others have been OK but only JMc was outstanding. Walmesley is ours so I do not count him! I honestly believe we could have and would survive without the partnership with the Giants. However the medical support is an added bonus.

McGilvray was a season-long loan signing, and not on dual registration - as was Matty Wildie in 2012. The 'dual reg' players who have played at Batley since the concept's inaugural season in 2010 are ; Kyle Wood, Alex Brown, Josh Griffin, James Green and Alex Walmsley.

#59 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,570 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

McGilvray was a season-long loan signing, and not on dual registration - as was Matty Wildie in 2012. The 'dual reg' players who have played at Batley since the concept's inaugural season in 2010 are ; Kyle Wood, Alex Brown, Josh Griffin, James Green and Alex Walmsley.

Apologies if I got it wrong, but didn't JM come and play at the back end of one season before he came on a season long loan. I am as always happy to be corrected.
However, my main point is that he is the only outstanding loanee of any kind that I can remember, the others were decent but did not make our team markedly better. Actually maybe Aaron Murphy did but we were quite a poor team at the time.

#60 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

There has been no bigger critic than me of "twinning" between clubs, but in actual fact it is a paper exercise. The bottom line is that no SL team is going to release their top players to the championship, and if they did, because theyare effectively hired, the club concerned couldn't afford them - how much do you reckon sam tomkins would cost to hire ? It seems to me nobody has much of a problem with DR (fev did it last year) except when they are from one club. Some fev supporters will boycott the rams match tomorrow, and that is their perogative, but there will only be two bulls players in the team tomorrow, neither of whom are any better than what we have already, so fev certainly won't be playing against the full bulls squad. Personally I am against more than two or three DR's being allowed at any one time per club, but having said that, one of the two signed up for us at the beginning of last season never got released, which put us at a disadvantage. Now I am going to throw something else into the mix - could it be that fev, like fax, are not going down the same route as us "lesser" clubs because they have genuine SL aspirations, aspirations that could not be realised if they were merely a SL clubs #####. I therefore would suggest that DP's objections are more pragmatic than moral.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users