Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

James Roby thinks Batley is nowhere

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

Alex Walmsley is impressing in his first pre-season at St Helens. he showed a lot of promise at Batley last year.

James Roby seems to think Batley is nowhere for some reason.

See the link to article on the BBC website:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/21261372

#2 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 456 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

To be fair how would you describe where Batley is to a foreigner ? Erm....somewhere in Yorkshire.

#3 frank

frank
  • Coach
  • 757 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:28 AM

If Roby did make that statement then he is an ignoramus.The same could be said for the majority of towns anywhere .

Batley RL are a proud club and have contributed much to Rugby League.They are financialy secure too, not like many SL clubs deep in debt.

#4 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,973 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:13 AM

Perfect determination to find offence. That's proper rugby league supporting.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#5 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:16 AM

Jesus Christ. This is a nothing statement that some people with a chip on their shoulders are trying to find offence in.
Posted Image

#6 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:18 AM

Jesus Christ. This is a nothing statement that some people with a chip on their shoulders are trying to find offence in.

That's easy to say when you come from a sprawling metropolis like Hull.

rldfsignature.jpg

#7 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,595 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:26 AM

"He's come in from nowhere. The way he is training, he's pushing for a spot."

does'nt mention batley at all....to me it means as a player he's performed out the blue/unexpected/shocked....

or like when someone crashes into a car they did'nt see coming..."it came from nowhere"

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#8 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:52 AM

Nothing here. Pointless thread.

#9 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:54 AM

If Roby did make that statement then he is an ignoramus.The same could be said for the majority of towns anywhere .

Read the article. Taken out of context for the sake of a laugh. I thought it was funny anyway. :lol:

Mind you, James Roby is a foreigner ......
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#10 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

To be fair how would you describe where Batley is to a foreigner ? Erm....somewhere in Yorkshire.

Yes, I would say it is in Yorkshire, although I don't think Roby is a foreigner.

I might also say that it is the jewel in the crown of the Heavy Woollen District.

#11 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:09 AM

Spot on.

#12 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

Good luck to Alex Walmsley, I was very impressed by his performances last season.

I hope he will go on to be the 2013 version of Chris Hill, further demonstrating there are talented young players in the Championship worth developing.

To too many people "nowhere" starts at the bottom of Super League and that's the real problem.
Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#13 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,413 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

Dewsbury init? ;)

#14 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,303 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

Lovely stuff is outrage. I can't get enough of it.
Posted Image

#15 brooza

brooza
  • 4,295 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

I had to read the article 3 times to try and figure out why people were getting offended. Still not sure, to be honest
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, KĂžbenhavn Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#16 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

Surely this is a comedy thread ? :huh:
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#17 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,706 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

Pointless thread. He is referring to the fact that the player was probaby signed initially as a squad member likely to make the odd apprearance. He has performed so well in pre-season that he is forcing his way (past some of the academy graduates) into the regular starting line-up. Hence the 'from nowhere' comment.

#18 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,413 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

He is referring to the fact that the player was probaby signed initially as a squad member likely to make the odd apprearance.

Nah...that's not how I read....I don't think it was a slight on Batley per se......more the fact that he's come from outside the super dooper league (anywhere else being nowhere)

#19 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,324 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

Nah...that's not how I read....I don't think it was a slight on Batley per se......more the fact that he's come from outside the super dooper league (anywhere else being nowhere)

yes - that's how I read it tbh (apart from your childish nonsense), and if there's any offence to be taken it is surely about a leading SL player being ignorant about the Championships.

He hasn't come from nowhere, he has been working hard at his trade, earned the plaudits in his comp and got himself a spot.

Don't think there's much in it, or anything malicious, maybe a bit of ignorance if anything.

#20 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

Dewsbury init? ;)

Careful now! :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users