Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Bradfordian, Mancunian, Liverpudlian, etc.

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#61 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

I thought the other day, give it a few years and Leodensians will start having a paddy until it becomes Leedshire. *shudders*

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#62 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,068 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

I thought the other day, give it a few years and Leodensians will start having a paddy until it becomes Leedshire. *shudders*

I think you may have mis-typed the eighth letter.
B)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#63 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,042 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

Paul Hudson :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thought he lives in Shadwell...goes in the Red Lion?

#64 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,068 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

:o

:D

Feel free to give me some back. After all Bradford and Leeds folk have been happily slagging each other off for the past 300 years. Long may it continue; let's face it, for Yorkshire folk, slagging of Lancashire is like shooting fish in a barrel. ;)

We've still got a cathedral, by the way. And we still formed the Labour Party and the Barbarians RUFC. And Saltaire is still a World Heritage Site. And our city centre is built out of Yorkshire Sandstone, from Bradford.
And, for this week at least, we're above you in the Superleague table.

B)

#65 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

Hartlepool - Monkey hangers

#66 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,042 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

Westhoughton - Cow-yeds

#67 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

Westhoughton - Cow-yeds

I work there, please explain. The accent is the wrong enough as it is without having them explain things to lil ol' me.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#68 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

And we still formed the Labour Party and the Barbarians RUFC.

I do like these little quirky facts of things or people born in Bradford, especially back when we were good. Stuff from Sooty and Lassie, to Morrisons and Seabrooks, the FA Cup and Challenge Cup, to school dinners and now a major politcal party (which I didn't know).

Not happy about the Barbarians though.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#69 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,391 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

Apparently, the army used to refer to Falklanders as 'Bennies', after the dimwitted character from 'Crossroads'. An official order was given, telling people to stop using this name.

So they started calling them 'Stills' instead... "cause they're still Bennies". :D

Edited by Futtocks, 04 February 2013 - 01:32 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#70 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

... And we still formed the Labour Party ....

No, the ILP was formed in Bradford, not the Labour Party.

LUNEW.jpg

#71 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,068 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

It became the Labour Party.

That's our story and we're sticking to it.

#72 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

No, the ILP was formed in Bradford, not the Labour Party.

Near enough to peak my interest.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#73 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

It became the Labour Party.

That's our story and we're sticking to it.

No, ILPers helped form the Labour Party - but were not subsumed into it. Indeed, they still exist.

LUNEW.jpg

#74 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,453 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

This won't be new to some of you but people in Bridlington refer to West Riding folk as 'Comforts' because they walk around Brid asking each other if they've 'comfort day or comfort week'.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#75 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,068 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

First Labour MP, Keir Hardy ... ,originally ILP
First LabourPM, Ramsey MacDonald ... ,originally ILP

#76 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,453 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

Are people from Hedon Hedonists?

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#77 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

Feel free to give me some back. After all Bradford and Leeds folk have been happily slagging each other off for the past 300 years. Long may it continue; let's face it, for Yorkshire folk, slagging of Lancashire is like shooting fish in a barrel. ;)

We've still got a cathedral, by the way. And we still formed the Labour Party and the Barbarians RUFC. And Saltaire is still a World Heritage Site. And our city centre is built out of Yorkshire Sandstone, from Bradford.
And, for this week at least, we're above you in the Superleague table.

B)

Coming from Bramley as a lad we used to have the Old oak tree on Leeds and Bradford road as our local,and on a friday and saturday night we used to toss a coin which direction we went,bus or taxi down to town or over to Bradford .We had some good nights in those days at the Mecca and the pubs seemed like locals as opposed to Leeds city centre pubs.You are Welsh ?so here is an old local saying "Any cock can crow on its own midden"
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#78 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,042 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

I work there, please explain. The accent is the wrong enough as it is without having them explain things to lil ol' me.

Hope this helps

http://www.lancashir...tale_is_right_/

oh, and Lincolnshire folk are known as yellowbeliies see http://www.bbc.co.uk...llowbelly.shtml

Edited by JohnM, 04 February 2013 - 03:58 PM.

#79 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

Residents of Armley were known as square heads.I wonder ifit had something to do with the prison ?
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#80 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,910 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

Apparently, the army used to refer to Falklanders as 'Bennies', after the dimwitted character from 'Crossroads'. An official order was given, telling people to stop using this name.

So they started calling them 'Stills' instead... "cause they're still Bennies". :D

The locals responded by calling the soldiers "wheneyes" due to them constantly going on about "when I was at Goose Green" etc

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users