Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Bradfordian, Mancunian, Liverpudlian, etc.

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#81 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,474 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

:D

Feel free to give me some back. After all Bradford and Leeds folk have been happily slagging each other off for the past 300 years. Long may it continue; let's face it, for Yorkshire folk, slagging of Lancashire is like shooting fish in a barrel. ;)

We've still got a cathedral, by the way. And we still formed the Labour Party and the Barbarians RUFC. And Saltaire is still a World Heritage Site. And our city centre is built out of Yorkshire Sandstone, from Bradford.
And, for this week at least, we're above you in the Superleague table.

B)

Bradford and Barbarians,sums it up really.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#82 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,518 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

Coming from Bramley as a lad we used to have the Old oak tree on Leeds and Bradford road as our local,and on a friday and saturday night we used to toss a coin which direction we went,bus or taxi down to town or over to Bradford .We had some good nights in those days at the Mecca and the pubs seemed like locals as opposed to Leeds city centre pubs.You are Welsh ?so here is an old local saying "Any cock can crow on its own midden"

I never failed in the Mecca.
Mind you, I only went there half a dozen times.

I don't think anyone in Bradford dislikes Leeds or its citizens. After all, everybody goes there to shop. However, we don't like it enough to want to live there, or to see our city subsumed by it.

:)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#83 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,134 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

Call it jealousy if you like but it seems to me Leeds gets what Leeds wants.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#84 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,518 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

Call it jealousy if you like but it seems to me Leeds gets what Leeds wants.

Gipton.

#85 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,474 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

Gipton.

I see your Gipton and raise you Frizinghall,Great Horton and Thornbury.

#86 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,135 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

I see your Gipton and raise you Frizinghall,Great Horton and Thornbury.

Those areas used to be nice though. Frizinghall was pretty well to do. Whereas Gipton has always been a dump ;) I'll further raise you Little London.

When I worked in Scarborough, I was called a 'wessie' as in West Yorkshire.

#87 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,474 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

Those areas used to be nice though. Frizinghall was pretty well to do. Whereas Gipton has always been a dump ;) I'll further raise you Little London.

Time to play my trump cards,Listerhills and Manningham. ;)

#88 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,135 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

You should have a walk round Manningham - there's a lot of outstanding buildings, some of it is dodgy but its not quite as bad as painted.

Listerhills is just an industrial area these days really. The upshot is that everywhere has iffy parts, some places just pretend otherwise.

#89 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,518 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:19 PM

Listerhills has the Black Swan, premium live band venue every Saturday... this week it's Jed's Blues Band ... a premier Camra pub ... the Fighting Cock ... and a top notch curryhouse ... the Punjab Sweet House.

Manningham has the hidden gem that is Cartwright Hall Museum set in lovely grounds. It also has two really good Catholic schools ... St Bede's and St Joseph's.

Beyond that, unfortunately you're right, they're a dump.

#90 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,135 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:25 PM

Didn't know Jeds Blues Band were still going... I thought Jed died a few years back?

#91 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,518 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

I hope not ... I haven't seen him for years.

Brilliant singer and harmonica player though.

#92 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,135 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

Oh and I went to St Bedes.

#93 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,518 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

Oh and I went to St Bedes.

Which day? :lol:

#94 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,135 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

Which day? :lol:

Sad but true. Think I spent more time in Vinces Cafe or the Silver Jubilee curry house playing pool or Asteroids.

#95 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,518 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

Sad but true. Think I spent more time in Vinces Cafe or the Silver Jubilee curry house playing pool or Asteroids.

I heard that that curry house could play havoc with a bloke's asteroids.

Edited by Wolford6, 06 February 2013 - 10:56 AM.

#96 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,741 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

Gipton.

Well if thats all you can find Gipton and Little London ,It seems Leeds are getting off lightly.I grew up on the Broadlea's in the 50's early 60's and it was good solid working class families as was Gipton and seacroft and wyther's ,fairfields ,belle isle ,Halton moor etc,when it got to the 70's there were little area's where it started to get bad,but now I would not like to live on my old estate.I dont think this debate is about the state of council houses though, that is a social thing in every town and city.Thing thing is Leeds through the years appears to have got off rather lightly when the country has been hit by recession's. Now there must be a reason for this.Is it because Leeds reinvented itself as a financial and legal centre?or is it that leeds has alway's had a diversity of industry's?
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#97 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

... this week it's Jed's Blues Band ...

Would that be Jed Thomas?

In which case I approve.

#98 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,518 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

Thing thing is Leeds through the years appears to have got off rather lightly when the country has been hit by recession's. Now there must be a reason for this.Is it because Leeds reinvented itself as a financial and legal centre?or is it that leeds has alway's had a diversity of industry's?

One reason is that Leeds has been tougher on claimants than the other authorities in West and South Yorkshire. Whereas Bradford Council has gone out of its way to to support social services, Leeds has put as much as possible into capital projects. Also, recent experience has led me to be distrustful of the planning process in Bradford; maybe Leeds has been more encouraging of new developments and the developers can have confidence in Leeds Council's decisions and processes.

With regard to attracting outside investment, Leeds is "sexier" and has a positive 21st century image. Most outsiders think that Bradford is a basket case rustbucket town ... and not without reason given the town's performance over the past twenty years.

Bradford's got its problems but its got a heart of gold. I don't know any newcomer with a professional career who doesn't love it.

#99 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,518 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

Would that be Jed Thomas?

In which case I approve.

#100 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,135 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

Leeds were going to knock down all their old buildings like Bradford did....but ran out of money to do it. Luckily for them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users