Photography Printing

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

Earlier this week, I ordered some copy prints from Photobox to see how they turned out in comparison to how some of my recent attempts look on screen, several of which were ones which I've recently posted in either the January comp or the general photo thread. When I received them some looked ok, however some were rather disappointing, especially where they were shot in low light. This was to the extent that the shades of deep blue were just a monotone navy, and the areas in shadows were just a solid mass of black in the print.

Is this something that other people have found when ordering prints? Do I need to edit them to appear significantly lighter on screen than on print or is it just a quality issue with Photobox? Or something else I may have missed?

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#2 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,646 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

never had commercially done digital prints

I would suggest you imvest in a printer that prints up to super A3: they are surprisingly cheap and the quality is excellent. Good fun too. It means you are in charge of the whole creative process.

if you buy your paper on line it's good quality and far cheaper than what you buy in shops, the same goes for inks.

IMHO people don't print their pics enough.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#3 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

never had commercially done digital prints

I would suggest you imvest in a printer that prints up to super A3: they are surprisingly cheap and the quality is excellent. Good fun too. It means you are in charge of the whole creative process.

if you buy your paper on line it's good quality and far cheaper than what you buy in shops, the same goes for inks.

IMHO people don't print their pics enough.

Might look into that.

Part of the reason I printed them was to be able to analyse them better, as the screen on my laptop isn't great and if you connect it to the tv, it's not much better. Connecting the camera to the tv using an HDMI lead gives a great image, but once you've taken it off the memory card you don't get to see it in such clarity again!

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

#4 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,901 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

on my website (www.carlmitchellphoto.com) I have photobox as one supplier but also a supplier called one vision imaging. These are usually more expensive but by far better quality.

Photobox use very basic papers and inks (hence keeping their costs down) but I can highly recommend One Vision - http://www.onevisionimaging.com/

As for home priniting, for the odd few prints I agree, but if you're doing it more often the costs are huge - all nice at the beginning but once the inks and printheads go you;re looking at a high cost
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#5 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,646 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

on my website (www.carlmitchellphoto.com) I have photobox as one supplier but also a supplier called one vision imaging. These are usually more expensive but by far better quality.

Photobox use very basic papers and inks (hence keeping their costs down) but I can highly recommend One Vision - http://www.onevisionimaging.com/

As for home priniting, for the odd few prints I agree, but if you're doing it more often the costs are huge - all nice at the beginning but once the inks and printheads go you;re looking at a high cost

I agreewith what you say about home p[rinting carl, but it's a different approach isn't it? I only print what I consider to be the very best, and I print them to super A3 size.

I used to love my darkroom back in the day, and employ a similar attitude to printing my digital pics and I get a similar pleasure from it.
Keeping it local

#6 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,901 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

I agreewith what you say about home p[rinting carl, but it's a different approach isn't it? I only print what I consider to be the very best, and I print them to super A3 size.

I used to love my darkroom back in the day, and employ a similar attitude to printing my digital pics and I get a similar pleasure from it.

Absolutely and certainly not knocking it at all - fair play to you.

I just think that if it's something good enough to print it's worth getting done professionally - when printing from photoshop for example it's not often as easy as just hitting file>print

there's a lot of colour matching etc that needs to take place which is often better handled by the pros
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#7 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

Another thing to try, if you've got the money (there's always a cost sigh) is monitor calibration. My wife bought me the cheapest Spyder monitor calibration device for christmas a couple of years ago and it really does help. If I have my photos printed professionally they are now much closer to how I see them on my screen.

#8 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,646 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

Absolutely and certainly not knocking it at all - fair play to you.

I just think that if it's something good enough to print it's worth getting done professionally - when printing from photoshop for example it's not often as easy as just hitting file>print

there's a lot of colour matching etc that needs to take place which is often better handled by the pros

I'll go with that

horses for courses, and the two shouldn't be mutually exclusive anyway.
Keeping it local

#9 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

Out of interest, and drifiting slightly off topic, what software do people use for editing? Beyond the use of setting auto levels in a very old version of photoshop elements that I got free about 10 years ago, and messing about a bit with different filter effects in Picassa, I've not used anything for editing beyond retrospectively amending images on my camera using the built in ability to amend RAW files. It all looks rather complicated, though probably necessary if I'm going to continue to improve my photographic output.

Please view my photos.

#10 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,646 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

Out of interest, and drifiting slightly off topic, what software do people use for editing? Beyond the use of setting auto levels in a very old version of photoshop elements that I got free about 10 years ago, and messing about a bit with different filter effects in Picassa, I've not used anything for editing beyond retrospectively amending images on my camera using the built in ability to amend RAW files. It all looks rather complicated, though probably necessary if I'm going to continue to improve my photographic output.

photoshop elements 10 on my old laptop

recently bought a macbook which has its own software, but I'm going to put elements 11 in this weekend as it was bought for m'birthday.

I don't go mad with this stuff. I use it for altering contrast and texture on black and white, and for colour saturation and balance in colour.

I'm going to get more into it, and I shot a lot of stuff in raw recently to process on my mac.

Some of the stuff I see in photography mags isn't to my taste-derelict wooden huts, or jettys jutting out into mysty lakes with violent looking skies have been done to death.
Keeping it local

#11 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,901 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

recently bought a macbook which has its own software, but I'm going to put elements 11 in this weekend as it was bought for m'birthday.

I don't go mad with this stuff. I use it for altering contrast and texture on black and white, and for colour saturation and balance in colour.

I'm going to get more into it, and I shot a lot of stuff in raw recently to process on my mac.

Some of the stuff I see in photography mags isn't to my taste-derelict wooden huts, or jettys jutting out into mysty lakes with violent looking skies have been done to death.

couldn't agree more!

That said I have Photoshop CS5 (only because I got it free!) and love messing about with that - while I don't like the stuff L'ange talks about I do like to know that if I've taken 4 family shots and one of them is perfect but for a small child with their eyes closed for example I can clone in one of the faces form another pic. this happens a lot in modern photography.

A really useful one that is free is GIMP - www.getgimp.com

totally free and loads of functionality

Posted Image

#12 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

I take it Elements 11 works with raw files then. I'm not thinking of spending hours on it, just to adjust lighting where required to pull out detail in shadows, colour saturation, etc and also as you say, to adjust shots for B&W.

Whilst I do like some photos like you mention, I know what you mean about them having been done to death. I couldn't comment on photography mags though, as I've never read one, beyond tips & techniques from them online!

The lad who plastered our house is also a photgrapher, and he has his first exhibition starting soon at Dean Clough in Halifax. Might head and have a look at what he's done, as it sounds like an interesting approach. Jonathon Foulgar is his name.

http://www.deancloug...ts/whats_on.asp

Please view my photos.

#13 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

That said I have Photoshop CS5 (only because I got it free!) and love messing about with that - while I don't like the stuff L'ange talks about I do like to know that if I've taken 4 family shots and one of them is perfect but for a small child with their eyes closed for example I can clone in one of the faces form another pic. this happens a lot in modern photography.

That sort of skill I'd also like to learn. Padge commented on one of my photos that he would have edited the bin out of the shot. So would I, if I were going to print it to keep and knew how to!

Landscape shots is where my interest lies in the main, at least at the moment. I do try to take wildlife ones if I get the opportunity, and I'm hoping to try to head up to the bike racing at Scarboro over the summer (as my Dad is a marshall there) to have a go at motorsport where it's not so busy crowd wise. Portraits, next to no chance, as no-one I know ever wants their picture to be taken. :lol:

Please view my photos.

#14 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,901 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

That sort of skill I'd also like to learn. Padge commented on one of my photos that he would have edited the bin out of the shot. So would I, if I were going to print it to keep and knew how to!

Landscape shots is where my interest lies in the main, at least at the moment. I do try to take wildlife ones if I get the opportunity, and I'm hoping to try to head up to the bike racing at Scarboro over the summer (as my Dad is a marshall there) to have a go at motorsport where it's not so busy crowd wise. Portraits, next to no chance, as no-one I know ever wants their picture to be taken. :lol:

I've got my first wedding to do in March! :wacko:

Posted Image

#15 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

I've got my first wedding to do in March! :wacko:

Good luck with that, I'd imagine it will be stressful but enjoyable once done! What I'm aiming for one day (if I can get enough good photos) is to trying to get them exhibited in our local, as they support local artists in that way, and allow them to have them up for sale. My aim is to try to get some good shots of local landmarks, views etc, and you never know, I might even one day manage to sell one or two. Some way to go on that though.

Back to my original post, I've got to say I am impressed with photobox's customer service. Last night I emailed them, to ask for advice as to getting prints nearer in colour to those seen on screen. I've just had a reply, saying they will reprint all the photos without their "auto enhancement" turned on and send them out special delivery today, all foc. Given that I hadn't read to turn it off myself, or read their advice regarding colour calibration either (hindsight! :lol: ), I have to say I'm impressed. :D

Please view my photos.

#16 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

Another thing to try, if you've got the money (there's always a cost sigh) is monitor calibration. My wife bought me the cheapest Spyder monitor calibration device for christmas a couple of years ago and it really does help. If I have my photos printed professionally they are now much closer to how I see them on my screen.

+1

If you don't calibrate your screen your onto a loser from the start.

if your on a laptop, have a look at an external screen, there good value these days.

Never had a problem with photobox myself, throw a load of stuff at them every month and yet to have anyone complain, but wouldn't use them for anything more than sports snaps, you get what you pay for.

#17 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

+1

If you don't calibrate your screen your onto a loser from the start.

if your on a laptop, have a look at an external screen, there good value these days.

Never had a problem with photobox myself, throw a load of stuff at them every month and yet to have anyone complain, but wouldn't use them for anything more than sports snaps, you get what you pay for.

It will be a longer term investment in a new pc I think, I'd link the laptop to the tv, but as I can't connect it using HDMI, the image still isn't anywhere near as good as when I connect the camera. I might have a look at the company KT suggested for doing a couple of bigger prints, the ones I ordered from photobox were only 6*8, so not huge and certainly not expensive.

Please view my photos.

#18 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

It will be a longer term investment in a new pc I think, I'd link the laptop to the tv, but as I can't connect it using HDMI, the image still isn't anywhere near as good as when I connect the camera. I might have a look at the company KT suggested for doing a couple of bigger prints, the ones I ordered from photobox were only 6*8, so not huge and certainly not expensive.

Your call, but I'd guess your likely to see the same problems you got from photobox presented on better quality paper with better quality ink as you've done nothing to address the underlying problem!

#19 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

Your call, but I'd guess your likely to see the same problems you got from photobox presented on better quality paper with better quality ink as you've done nothing to address the underlying problem!

I do see what you're saying.

I will look at calibrating the monitor on the laptop in the meantime, I was meaning that I'd be more likely to get a new pc and monitor (and calibrate accordingly) than just get a screen for the laptop.

Please view my photos.

#20 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

I do see what you're saying.

I will look at calibrating the monitor on the laptop in the meantime, I was meaning that I'd be more likely to get a new pc and monitor (and calibrate accordingly) than just get a screen for the laptop.

I'd had a bash at trying to get a 11.6 inch screen up to scratch before taking it on my travels last weekend, was way off when I got home to have a look on my proper screen. If you buy a spyder screen calibrator you can set it to automatically take account of the ambient light around you to adjust the screen accordingly, some people have a real eye for it and can get it bob on without the tech - I need the tech, I'm always miles out when I try and do it manually.

Could always upgrade your screen first then just buy a seperate PC at a later date and plug the screen into your laptop in the mean time.

Problem with this photography lark is there's always something pulling at the purse strings!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users