Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Photography Printing

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

Problem with this photography lark is there's always something pulling at the purse strings!

Oh aye! It's remarkably similar to running a relatively rare Italian motorbike in that sense. :rolleyes: :D

Longer term, I'd like to do more with photos than just taking them, hence all the queries now. For now, I'm think I'm going to settle for doing minimal editing using the raw processing built into the camera whilst connected directly to the tv. It may not be calibrated for printing them, but it's by far and away the best way to view them, and I can then just burn them onto a CD to share with others on a pc or dvd.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#22 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,937 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

I haven't printed anthing seriously of my own for a long time.

I use these guys. Follow their instructions and you will get excellant results.

www.dscolourlabs.co.uk/

They are really helpful as well, I had a small issue early on when I was using them and their Technical Director rang me to talk me through the problem.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#23 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,235 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

I take it Elements 11 works with raw files then. I'm not thinking of spending hours on it, just to adjust lighting where required to pull out detail in shadows, colour saturation, etc and also as you say, to adjust shots for B&W.

Whilst I do like some photos like you mention, I know what you mean about them having been done to death. I couldn't comment on photography mags though, as I've never read one, beyond tips & techniques from them online!

The lad who plastered our house is also a photgrapher, and he has his first exhibition starting soon at Dean Clough in Halifax. Might head and have a look at what he's done, as it sounds like an interesting approach. Jonathon Foulgar is his name.

http://www.deancloug...ts/whats_on.asp

it had better

I migfht pop down to Dean Clough in the enext few days and check that out. I'm a faxophile(did you see what I did there?) anyway.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#24 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

I recently had three pictures printed out by a local Media Print facility, & were happy with the results
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#25 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,077 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

Calibrate your screen, laptops are ###### for profiling so dont bother unless it uses a PLS or IPS screen, use the labs profiles as well, get an IPS monitor, nothing else comes close.

#26 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,235 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

Calibrate your screen, laptops are ###### for profiling so dont bother unless it uses a PLS or IPS screen, use the labs profiles as well, get an IPS monitor, nothing else comes close.

I just decide what looks ok and press print
works a treat
Keeping it local

#27 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

There seems to be a rise in A3 printers and grey scale printers so I guess people are printing something.

#28 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

Problem with this photography lark is there's always something pulling at the purse strings!

How true! I keep having to stop myself from buying a new lens... f1.4's are so damn expensive.... even the primes

#29 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,235 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:11 AM

How true! I keep having to stop myself from buying a new lens... f1.4's are so damn expensive.... even the primes

i'm lying low at the moment

no sense in pushing ones luck
Keeping it local

#30 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,826 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:47 PM

I've got Paint Shop Pro on my work computer, which I love, but the product doesn't exist anymore, having been absorbed into the Adobe empire. Much nicer and more intuitive to use than Photoshop.

As well as Gimp, which I have only briefly tried, check out Paint.net, which is another freeware progamme. I have it on my laptop at home, and like it. Although I don't use it much, it may be suitable for your needs.Just noticed - their forum has a familiar look!

Edited by Futtocks, 04 February 2013 - 01:54 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#31 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:41 AM

I haven't printed anthing seriously of my own for a long time.

I use these guys. Follow their instructions and you will get excellant results.

www.dscolourlabs.co.uk/

They are really helpful as well, I had a small issue early on when I was using them and their Technical Director rang me to talk me through the problem.

I gave these guys a try for half a dozen A3 sized prints, including some of the ones that I'd previously had done on a smaller size by Photobox, albeit that I'd reworked slightly to adjust the lighting, etc.

I'm pretty pleased with them, to the extent that they arrived yesterday, two are now framed and on my wall and another couple will be going up when I've got suitably sized framed for them. :)

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#32 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,937 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:43 PM

I gave these guys a try for half a dozen A3 sized prints, including some of the ones that I'd previously had done on a smaller size by Photobox, albeit that I'd reworked slightly to adjust the lighting, etc.

I'm pretty pleased with them, to the extent that they arrived yesterday, two are now framed and on my wall and another couple will be going up when I've got suitably sized framed for them. Posted Image

Glad your pleased with the results, I have no reason to promote them other than they have done great prints for me and given excellent service.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users