Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Interview with Jamie Peacock in The Torygraph

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

A good RL piece in The Torygraph today about Jamie Peacock and about Leeds, the mental toughness that leads to success.

An antidote to the portrayal of RL players as unthinking meat heads.

http://www.telegraph...l#disqus_thread

A whole page devoted to RL in the Torygraph sports section today. It's not a lot compared to the coverage of some other sports but the space given has increased in recent months. Progress.

There's also a brief club by club guide to Superleague.

Edited by longboard, 01 February 2013 - 06:08 PM.

#2 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,405 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

"I don't think you can be stupid and be a Rugby League player."

Paging Mr Hock! Paging Mr Hock! ;)

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#3 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,140 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

Top drawer interview that - quite unlike any other I've read with a current league player.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#4 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

"I don't think you can be stupid and be a Rugby League player."

Paging Mr Hock! Paging Mr Hock! ;)

Funnily enough his name did come into my mind. Perhaps it is just a matter of Hockey not having worked much on his intellectual side yet. :)

#5 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,405 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

Top drawer interview that - quite unlike any other I've read with a current league player.

I have a lot of time for the Telegraph - they are far less weaselly about their political leanings than the Express or Mail, and they have some good writers. More Rugby League in their pages is a good thing, and this interview will challenge a few preconceptions.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#6 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,644 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

I love the fact that Peacock has set his sights on being an administrator in the sport for some time now. If he sticks at it and brings to the job the same determination, effort and skill that he has to his playing the sport ought to be in very safe hands.

Edited by Griff9of13, 01 February 2013 - 02:51 PM.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#7 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

The game has always had a broad mix of intectuals involved but the opportunities to stay involved and make a career in the sport were virtually non existant until recently.

#8 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

Good article. Remember the gut who picketed the Telegraph last year about lack of rugby league coverage? They listened and seem to have responded.

Don't know if it's just me, but there does seem to have been an increase in national exposure this year in the run up to the launch of the new season (and not just George Riley's infamous Inside Out!)

#9 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

Good article. Remember the gut who picketed the Telegraph last year about lack of rugby league coverage? They listened and seem to have responded.

Don't know if it's just me, but there does seem to have been an increase in national exposure this year in the run up to the launch of the new season (and not just George Riley's infamous Inside Out!)

I think there is more coverage also. The negative coverage matters less if there is a decent amount of positive coverage. Perhaps things are improving.

#10 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 666 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

The coverage began to increase before th picket began. It was interesting at the start of the last season there was more coverage but I suspect that the DT were disappointed with the interest shown in RL stories. Coverage seemed to become erratic about mid-season then improve again. There is still not much rugby league analysis and comment appearing in the DT that probably comes down to market forces more than anything else.

The RFL appear to have been more proactive in putting out press releases even for stories that not say much and generally been more media/press friendly. The world cup has helped in that it has created a bunch of extra stories that have potential general interest.

#11 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 666 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

I think there is more coverage also. The negative coverage matters less if there is a decent amount of positive coverage. Perhaps things are improving.

Negative stories create interest and arguably create more interest than positive stories do. Cricket got crucified during doping and match fixing allegations popularlity of the sport was not damaged. Loook at the ludicrous amount of coverage the Armstrong incident has caused I doubt cycling is going to be impacted by that. England footbal team failing miserably at the world cup seems to have little impact and that one story generated more negative coverage any sport received the following twelve months.

#12 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

JP as an administrator? Good luck, but talking the game into Millenium Magic in February wasn't the best start.

#13 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,378 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

Given that Murdoch controls most of the press in this country, it always pains me to see how little coverage we get in his publications. Maybe he has had a Damascus moment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users