Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Squad For Sunday

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#61 MALCOLM WHO ?

MALCOLM WHO ?
  • Coach
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

Why would we have ourselves to blame?

We always sign the wrong brother.

#62 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

Why would we have ourselves to blame?

Because its our fault! We made the rules. hahah
Dont worry, it will soon be Christmas!

Posted Image

#63 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

Ok. Fair enough gaz

Edited by mark richardson, 01 February 2013 - 09:39 PM.

#64 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 424 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

Seems to me the Club has been facing challenges on two fronts. First: getting Agecroft up and running. Who would have predicted the events surrounding Salford, and their inevitable impact?
Second: fielding a competitive side. It seems to me that the club did a good job of using the new rules to its advantage.
To quote that famous ex RL star CS Lewis :rolleyes: "you play the hand you're dealt".

If we have a successful season and play attractive rugby, fans will show up. Most won't care or even know how many are d/rs or whatever.

Just my opinion!
Posted Image

#65 petesmithfan

petesmithfan
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:26 PM

My honest first reaction was, Your playing in another town, at another clubs stadium and using another clubs players..................................................why bother, your identity is now so diluted, its akin trying to keep a corpse alive. I realise that while ever the remaining few still want to watch then the patient will stay on life support, but seriously its about as soulless as a sports club can get. I also realise that the RFL have made the rules, but their is no need to follow the carrot over the cliff !!!

Edited by petesmithfan, 01 February 2013 - 10:27 PM.

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

#66 Blakemore

Blakemore
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

I'm pretty sure every player at our club is on a one year contract therefore is Armstrong last year any different from Dwyer or any of the other ones that may be officially our players. What I'm saying is whether they are from Warrington academy or not they are swinton players for the season so get behind your team and support them. We still have our core anyway both hawkyards, smith watto, holland reay who won the championship one and added with ianson, mills and penny last year. So have we really lost our indentity this season? I think not just another batch of players on one year contracts. Roll on Sunday. Most of the haters are forgetting most of the wire lads with us won't make super league full time so what better way to say to them if you don't make that grade you can always stay with us!

#67 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,906 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

GLENNGARY, Widnes registered the majority of their playing staff as dual registered which is within the rules of the new system. Now whether that was 5, 10 15 or 20 players it didn't matter because Workington could only play 5 of those players at any one time plus they have to fit their "nominal" SL value in to the Championship salary cap total for each game.

What Swinton and Warrington have done is to find a way of getting around this system and even if it isn't breaking any rules regarding this system it is certainly outwith the spirit in which every other club has taken it on board.

There are certainly more questions than answers in what has transpired. The lads came to Swinton from Warrington as dual registered players as stated on Swinton's website on 5th January and 10th January. Suddenly they are not dual registered they are Swinton players which obviously means that their Warrington contracts have been cancelled. Were any other clubs given the opportunity to approach these lads with a view to signing them? Was there any collusion involved for the return of the players to Warrington at the end of the season? Is it not just 12 month loans dressed up in another way to get round the system because it sure looks like that to me and many others.

And Mark, you know me, I'm 72 years old and I wouldn't have been at all bothered if Swinton played Woods and McCarthy against Town so long as they were "properly" dual registered without the rest of this farce.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#68 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:42 PM

so from what I can see the six players we signed as dual registration players two/three weeks ago are now our players? have Warrington released them to us permanently or will they return to te HJ stadium come the end of the season.Sorry but can't get passionate about what I see as a Warrington A team called Swinton Lions.I will be there on Sunday hoping that my passion can be reignited.Apologies if this makes me seem a doom mongering or promoter of negativity but this comes from the heart and is how I feel at present.

#69 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:47 PM

So if we had signed 17 players from 17 clubs all on one year contracts for them to up and leave after 12 months you would be happy. however, with the new D/R system its not Swinton.

i know you cant please all of the people all of the time but wow i didn't think it was this bad. lol
Dont worry, it will soon be Christmas!

Posted Image

#70 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

GLENNGARY, Widnes registered the majority of their playing staff as dual registered which is within the rules of the new system. Now whether that was 5, 10 15 or 20 players it didn't matter because Workington could only play 5 of those players at any one time plus they have to fit their "nominal" SL value in to the Championship salary cap total for each game.

What Swinton and Warrington have done is to find a way of getting around this system and even if it isn't breaking any rules regarding this system it is certainly outwith the spirit in which every other club has taken it on board.

There are certainly more questions than answers in what has transpired. The lads came to Swinton from Warrington as dual registered players as stated on Swinton's website on 5th January and 10th January. Suddenly they are not dual registered they are Swinton players which obviously means that their Warrington contracts have been cancelled. Were any other clubs given the opportunity to approach these lads with a view to signing them? Was there any collusion involved for the return of the players to Warrington at the end of the season? Is it not just 12 month loans dressed up in another way to get round the system because it sure looks like that to me and many others.

And Mark, you know me, I'm 72 years old and I wouldn't have been at all bothered if Swinton played Woods and McCarthy against Town so long as they were "properly" dual registered without the rest of this farce.

Keith...what I love about you is that you manage to put your view forward without the nastiness some feel is required
My mind is open because as yet I truly dont know the what's whys and wherefores.
I appreciate everyones view on here
When I argue back its more often because I hate the haters. The perennial whingers. The we are all doomed merchants. Often I even agree with their point.

In this instance I just think we are lucky to be with the team with a wealth of talent to share. Which team wouldn't make the most of it?

#71 juliancaine

juliancaine
  • Coach
  • 445 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

My honest first reaction was, Your playing in another town, at another clubs stadium and using another clubs players..................................................why bother, your identity is now so diluted, its akin trying to keep a corpse alive. I realise that while ever the remaining few still want to watch then the patient will stay on life support, but seriously its about as soulless as a sports club can get. I also realise that the RFL have made the rules, but their is no need to follow the carrot over the cliff !!!

i agree with you entirely, the new dr rules are making the ch1 clubs nothing more than reserve sides for sl clubs the game outside the top flight will wither away, you have to ask yourself whats the point?.

#72 Monkeydo

Monkeydo
  • Coach
  • 483 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:56 PM

As the great del boy once said 'theres none so blind as them wot cannot see'

#73 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:03 PM

I'm saying that this isn't what I anticipated from the arrangement and at this moment in time my passion for the club is as low as its been for a long,long time.Maybe on Sunday someone/something will make me feel differently about the situation.

#74 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 837 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:10 PM

Lets face it swinton supporters there bod and every club in this league know that they are cheating .But you now the saying cheats never prosper.

#75 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:16 PM

Most of what you say about our club was equally true last season
If I remember correctly our team gave fev a real going over. We showed so much pride in being swinton it took a try off a massive forward pass scored by a convicted drug dealer and cheat signed on a short term contract to win it in the final second. Where were you on the moral high ground on that one?

#76 hilly

hilly
  • Players
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

Wonder what team tony smith will pick for us next week

#77 Paul Davidson

Paul Davidson
  • Coach
  • 580 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:22 PM

Lets face it swinton supporters there bod and every club in this league know that they are cheating .But you now the saying cheats never prosper.

I think I need a translation!

#78 hilly

hilly
  • Players
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:24 PM

I think I need a translation!

#79 hilly

hilly
  • Players
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:26 PM

What team will Warrington be picking for us next week because we don,t have a choice anymore is that clear enough

#80 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 837 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:28 PM

maybe you want to read it a few times it mite sink in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users