Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Squad For Sunday

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#141 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

Not sure Al but dress it up however you want and potentially we could be fielding eleven Warrington players in our line up .Its the feeder club system so prevalent in Australia and to me my club is helping promote it and I don't like it.

#142 DemonUK

DemonUK
  • Coach
  • 292 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

Couldn't give you the Swinton squad, but I could give you the Wire Reserves lineup :angry:

Sorry folks, no forecast comp this year

#143 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

I know this Dave but the fact of the matter is unless we find a sugar daddy with a very large pocket we will always be looking at journey men players or taking players on one season deals which seems the norm at Championship level.
In an ideal world we would be running an A team and allow us to accommodate our own players but sadly for many reasons already rightly highlighted by Phil we can't.
I admire both Phil's yours and any other fan who stand for their principles.

#144 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,681 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

Mark and marshy1 I think you are both either being very naive (which I don't really believe) or you are choosing to be rather obtuse about the thrux of the problem.

Mark, you are quite right this is about Swinton signing a number of young lads but until this week they were all contracted to Warrington in Super League. I believe one of them, maybe more, only signed a 3 year contract with Warrington in November!!!! Now we are all to believe that these are genuine signings by your club who most of you are agreeing don't have two pennies spare to rub together. Do you for one minute think that these signings haven't got a number of conditions attached to them about these players returning to Warrington after this season is over?

marshy1, your club could have loaned players from various clubs but you would still only have been able to play no more than 5 in any matchday 17. That is why your club and Warrington have started this charade of "signing" these 6 young lads, i.e. to get round the loan process as laid down in the rules. Everyone, including you and Mark, I suspect know this to be the case and although you may feel that there is nothing wrong in what has been done it is the harm it will do to the game of rugby league for the future, not just at Swinton, that we all should be worrying about.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#145 Paul Davidson

Paul Davidson
  • Coach
  • 578 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

I can understand the concerns about the system overall which has been put in place by the RFL, I would love to see 13 home-grown M27 lads on the pitch at all times, but why would any supporter stop supporting and watching the team they love because the club, as a professional club, are the club ahead of the game?
I'm sure, had Swinton sat back and let other clubs take the lead in this latest RFL meddling saga, we'd have had the same people on the forum slating the club for not being proactive.
If you don't like the rules the governing body of a sport set then have a go at the governing body, don't punish the club you support and love!

#146 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

Keith, look at the Higson transfer last season, it's just the same and no issues were raised then at all.

#147 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

Exactly right Paul.

#148 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

I'm not too sure that the governing body envisaged the rules being utilised quite like Swinton Lions have done.As I've said I'm very passionate about my club and after this it would feel as though I was supporting something I didn't believe in.

#149 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

Why is the Higson situation the same? Presumably he received a better offer at Leigh this year.

#150 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

The same rules are available to every other club which makes it a level playing field,if some clubs don't want to take up the option that is their choice, as a club we have done nothing more than utilise the rules as laid out by the RFL.
As Paul says, anyone's gripe should be aimed at the RFL. Can we please now get on with some rugby time to set off to watch The Lions.

#151 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

Because he's a Leigh lad who was signed on by Leigh. He wasn't going to get a starting spot at Leigh (behind a Warrington DR player might I add, and a Saints DR player the year before that), so he signed for Swinton. Impressed in half a season and Leigh had him back.

#152 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

If this is how the rules are meant t

I can understand the concerns about the system overall which has been put in place by the RFL, I would love to see 13 home-grown M27 lads on the pitch at all times, but why would any supporter stop supporting and watching the team they love because the club, as a professional club, are the club ahead of the game?
I'm sure, had Swinton sat back and let other clubs take the lead in this latest RFL meddling saga, we'd have had the same people on the forum slating the club for not being proactive.
If you don't like the rules the governing body of a sport set then have a go at the governing body, don't punish the club you support and love!

. Well if this is called being ahead of the game and this philosophy is what theRFL want to promote then I don't want to be part of it thank you very much.

#153 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

It's basically because the majority are from Warrington. If they were spread out across the sl teams we'd have no problem. Ashall, Saints-Swinton-Fax
Higson, Leigh-Swinton-Leigh
Watson, Salford-Swinton-Leigh-Widnes Hawkyard, Bradford-Swinton
Hurst, Warrington-Swinton-Broncos
Armstrong, Saints-Swinton-Sheffield

This isn't a new thing, there's even more, Craig Ashall, Lee Patterson, Andy Coley, Lee Marsh, Phil Joseph, the list is endless.

#154 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,793 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

Looks like you'll have to sign Briers, Westwood, Morley and both Monaghans next week.........

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#155 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

Possibly true on that showing. Well done Workington, a really solid performance from your boys.

#156 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

Best team won without a doubt
Well done town

#157 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

Looks like you'll have to sign Briers, Westwood, Morley and both Monaghans next week.........

Que? :rolleyes:

#158 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

Super Clarty Git Amang It Dip Fer Dippin Owt In

Que?

#159 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,681 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

Que?

Translation: Super sticky get in among it dip for dipping anything in. (Cumbrian dialect)

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#160 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,793 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

Que?

Search for it on YouTube and all will become clear.....

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users