Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Paul Wood playing for Swinton Sunday

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,942 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

AND Tyrone Mcarthy

http://www.loverugby..._medium=twitter

Thoughts?
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#2 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

Well those are the rules now. I'm sure that as a young player, it will help with his development no end. :rolleyes:

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#3 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,979 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

Does seem a bit on the pee taking side.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#4 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,723 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

Was the DR scheme ever about youth?

By scrapping the U20's (or whatever age group it was) didn;t they effectively force clubs to go down this route? Warrington spoke out against this decision, they effectively have nowhere to play Paul Wood and McCarthy this weekend due to the scrapping of the team - I suspect we will see more of this.

Interesting to see if it has a positive impact on the Swinton crowd or not.

#5 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

I suspect we will see more of this.

I suspect you're right. I also suspect if this does happen, we'll see the scheme being changed at the end of the season for one to include age and/or 1st team appearance limits.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

#6 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,723 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

I suspect you're right. I also suspect if this does happen, we'll see the scheme being changed at the end of the season for one to include age and/or 1st team appearance limits.

So where will these players play?

They have been outlawed from the academy, you want them outlawed from the DR scheme - where do they play?

Clubs are within their rights to have a squad of 25 27 year olds if they want, players have a right to play.

#7 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,059 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

To be fair to Paul Wood, recent troubles in his personal life will probably have affected his pre-season preparation and the gametime with Swinton will be beneficial for both parties.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#8 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

If you were a Swinton fan wouldn't you be excited about seeing Paul Wood & Tyrone McCarthy playing?

If you were a Swinton player wouldn't you be excited about playing alongside Paul Wood & Tyrone McCarthy?

Seems win/win to me.

Fans get to see better quality players and what a learning opportunity for some of Swinton's players.

#9 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

If you were a Swinton fan wouldn't you be excited about seeing Paul Wood & Tyrone McCarthy playing?

If you were a Swinton player wouldn't you be excited about playing alongside Paul Wood & Tyrone McCarthy?

Seems win/win to me.

Fans get to see better quality players and what a learning opportunity for some of Swinton's players.

What about Workington? Is it fair that they have to face players of this quality when perhaps Whitehaven of Doncaster don't? The integrity of the league is being tested. They should just make it a feeder league and get it over and done with.

#10 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

Who are Workington linked with? They need to have a word with their SL partner.

#11 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,581 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

Workington are linked with Widnes! Surely the idea of the Dual registration agreement was to give academy players the opportunity to develop in a better environment than was available at academy level.Using established Super League players in the Championship will seriously undermine the competition in my opinion.

#12 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

Workington are linked with Widnes! Surely the idea of the Dual registration agreement was to give academy players the opportunity to develop in a better environment than was available at academy level.Using established Super League players in the Championship will seriously undermine the competition in my opinion.

Widnes? Workington must have been quick out of the blocks to snare them as partners!

I think we'll see the dual registration work on a number of levels. Some big players will be able to get some game time, some youngsters will get the chance to play against men, rather than other youngsters; clubs will have something to shout about - who would be talking about Swinton v Workington without dual registration?, and players not in SL will get a chance to play alongside and against some real quality players.

#13 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

Widnes? Workington must have been quick out of the blocks to snare them as partners!

I think we'll see the dual registration work on a number of levels. Some big players will be able to get some game time, some youngsters will get the chance to play against men, rather than other youngsters; clubs will have something to shout about - who would be talking about Swinton v Workington without dual registration?, and players not in SL will get a chance to play alongside and against some real quality players.

So a league that the RFL state is worth winning and important in it's own right is now relegated to a league where SL player can regain and retain fitness.

Would you pay £15 to watch your teams Reserves?

#14 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

They have been outlawed from the academy, you want them outlawed from the DR scheme - where do they play?

Clubs are within their rights to have a squad of 25 27 year olds if they want, players have a right to play.

Who gives a monkeys testicle where these players will play. It's not champ clubs fault that SL teams get loads more money than them but can't keep afloat so they do away with the under 23s. If a team in SL can't survive when there is no relegation and a bucket load of money from sky then they don't deserve to survive for me. This system totally undermines the championship for me and it was a cracking comp till the RFL got their hands on it like everything else they touch. Rant over I'm off for a lie down 😄😄😄

#15 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

The clubs should have thought of this when deciding to scrap the previous system. I appreciate Warrington didn't want to however, but this does seem to defeat the objective of player development. That is unless we are saying that Swinton are not a partner to help in the development of young players, but are there to give game time to fringe squad members. That is fine, but in that case, it shouldn't be called anything other than feeder or reserve teams because that's exactly what they have become.

Please view my photos.

#16 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

Don't agree with wood and tyke playing for Swinton, not in the spirit of the DR for me, but within the rules.

Just wonder how many other establish superleague players will get game time this weekend in the cc

Wrong wrong wrong...... But within the rules.

#17 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,116 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

declan hulme is playing for workington on sunday on a dual reg, young lad who needs competetive game time to develop, surely that is what partnerships are all about not sending international players on dual reg.............
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#18 intheshed

intheshed
  • Coach
  • 407 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

Don't agree with wood and tyke playing for Swinton, not in the spirit of the DR for me, but within the rules.

Just wonder how many other establish superleague players will get game time this weekend in the cc

Wrong wrong wrong...... But within the rules.

Just about sums it up for me. Sadly inevitable. It may be the first but it almost certainly wont be the last example.

#19 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

declan hulme is playing for workington on sunday on a dual reg, young lad who needs competetive game time to develop, surely that is what partnerships are all about not sending international players on dual reg.............

I don't agree with it full stop Viking. But if its going to happen which it is then yes you are spot on this is how it should be used.

#20 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,723 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

The clubs should have thought of this when deciding to scrap the previous system. I appreciate Warrington didn't want to however, but this does seem to defeat the objective of player development. That is unless we are saying that Swinton are not a partner to help in the development of young players, but are there to give game time to fringe squad members. That is fine, but in that case, it shouldn't be called anything other than feeder or reserve teams because that's exactly what they have become.

i agree, and there is a small part of me that wonders whether Smith and the club are making a point about this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users