Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Paul Wood playing for Swinton Sunday

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#41 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

Let's be honest Swinton haven't had anything to offer the game since they left Station Road. They should have been put to sleep mercifully way back in 1992.

#42 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,933 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

We are being asked to believe that six young players with contracts at Warrington have given them up to all sign for Swinton without any conditions attached about returns, etc,? No, I can't see that either. They have officially got around the loaning of players and shown the DR system up as unworkable.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#43 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,240 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

What happened last year? Didnt DR players get squas numbers then?
There'll still only be 5/6 as per the rules wont there?

#44 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,009 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

What happened last year? Didnt DR players get squas numbers then?
There'll still only be 5/6 as per the rules wont there?

You're missing the point somewhat. Swinton announced a couple of weeks ago that they had signed 6 Warrington players on DR. Now, quite mysteriously and without any announcement, they appear to have signed these 6 permanently as their own players thus freeing up 5 additional places for other 'DR' players. Do you really believe those original 6 DR players are no longer affiliated to Warrington and are bona fide Swinton players ? A bit convenient that isn't it ?

So, with these 6 plus 5 more on DR they could theoretically have 11 Warrington players in their team one week. That's a nonsense.

Edited by Derwent, 01 February 2013 - 08:49 PM.

#45 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,240 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

You're missing the point somewhat. Swinton announced a couple of weeks ago that they had signed 6 Warrington players on DR. Now, quite mysteriously and without any announcement, they appear to have signed these 6 permanently as their own players thus freeing up 5 additional places for other 'DR' players. Do you really believe those original 6 DR players are no longer affiliated to Warrington and are bona fide Swinton players ? A bit convenient that isn't it ?

So, with these 6 plus 5 more on DR they could theoretically have 11 Warrington players in their team one week. That's a nonsense.

where has this been confirmed?
It now looks like Wire have followed the approach of registering all the squad, but i havent seen anything which says more than the 5/6 DR players will play.

#46 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,009 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

where has this been confirmed?
It now looks like Wire have followed the approach of registering all the squad, but i havent seen anything which says more than the 5/6 DR players will play.

Swinton's own website says they have 3 DR players in the squad for Sunday, namely Wood, McCarthy & Lewthwaite, which suggests the original 6 aren't on DR but are Swinton players.

#47 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,240 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

Swinton's own website says they have 3 DR players in the squad for Sunday, namely Wood, McCarthy & Lewthwaite, which suggests the original 6 aren't on DR but are Swinton players.

will be interesting to see what happens then. Surely this system wont work when it is abused like this.

#48 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

Let's be honest Swinton haven't had anything to offer the game since they left Station Road. They should have been put to sleep mercifully way back in 1992.

I am so easy to wind up, but not tonight Finn, did you have someone else post this for you? Your Cousin/Girlfriend*? Someone who can spell?

*Probably the same

Edited by Bleep1673, 01 February 2013 - 09:50 PM.

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#49 intheshed

intheshed
  • Coach
  • 408 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:14 PM

will the salary cap help to control this?

It will depend hoe the cap works. Last years rules required a championship club to comply with a finite cap of £330k/£150k but also limited them to 40% of turnover, if the clubs are required to get their actual spend + the implied spend for DR players under 40% then yes the cap will help to control it. If however they only need to keep their actual spend under 40% then for many clubs it will have little effect.

#50 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,463 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:16 PM

Once again the RFL have made a mess of things. I dont blame Swinton or Warrington for this. The original plan was I am sure for top youngsters to play at a higher standard and not for Internationals to get game time coming back from injury. The RFL should have looked at things properly and if we was going to go down this route then maybe have some set rules in place who can be a DR and that a max of 5 players could register not whole teams. I feel the Championship has been cheapened when such stunts are pulled. If Swinton need to avoid relegation will they then play 5 SL players if Wire have no need to win their game?

#51 intheshed

intheshed
  • Coach
  • 408 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:25 PM

The six Warrington players all signed "apparently" as DR players earlier in the close season now appear to all be fully registered Swinton players now allowing them to bring in other players as DR players.

There can only be one reason for this and that is a deliberate ploy to get round the system. No doubt come the end of the season the six players will all go back to being Warrington players again.

The DR system is now in disarray in many fans opinions and needs sorting if it is to mean anything.

The other Warrington players are still listed as Warrington players on their site, is it possible that they are on loan at Swinton rather than DR? If so the wording of the article would be technically accurate and they would still 'only' be able to use 5 of them?

EDIT: Scrub that, having had a proper look this morning I now see that 8 of the 19 man squad are 'Wire' players, so either Swinton are planning on playing with 16 players or at least 6 of the Wire players will be playing..

Edited by intheshed, 02 February 2013 - 12:00 PM.

#52 intheshed

intheshed
  • Coach
  • 408 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:30 PM

Once again the RFL have made a mess of things. I dont blame Swinton or Warrington for this. The original plan was I am sure for top youngsters to play at a higher standard and not for Internationals to get game time coming back from injury.

I find it hard to believe that was the original plan for this system. Up to and including last season we had an age limit, 23 I think. The only reason I can see for scrapping it is that it was always intended that this new system could and would be used in precisely this way.

#53 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:49 PM

Taking a different tack here, if the salary cap was working fully, these two top class players would be playing for another Super League club.

The fact that Warrington are able to stockpile so much talent (the depth of their squad is ridiculous) suggests something is amiss.

#54 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,233 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:16 AM

I'm surprised Wood has the balls to turn out at all. :unsure:

If players are registered to play they are entitled to play, if there are problems with the system then as time goes on the rules will be tightened, the Salary Cap is continually tweaked as it goes along. Its no good starting off over restrictive, start off more open and then clamp down on actual abuuses of a system rather than spend a fortune trying to write laws that cover every possible eventuality.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#55 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:25 AM

I really can't see the problem here. Don't we want to see the best rugby league players playing, and don't we as fans of a club, want to watch the best team our club can put out?

If Wigan wanted to send Sam Tomkins to Wakey for a month's loan, I wouldn't be moaning about team morale, that's what the coach gets paid for. I'd just be chuffed that a player like Sam Tomkins (rather than Richie Mathers - no offence!) would be playing full-back for my team.

#56 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,233 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:28 AM

Taking a different tack here, if the salary cap was working fully, these two top class players would be playing for another Super League club.

The fact that Warrington are able to stockpile so much talent (the depth of their squad is ridiculous) suggests something is amiss.

Are you saying Warrington are indulging in dodgy salary cap practices?

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#57 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:37 AM

I am so easy to wind up, but not tonight Finn, did you have someone else post this for you? Your Cousin/Girlfriend*? Someone who can spell?

*Probably the same

I expected an answer explaining what Swinton had offered the game in the last 21 years, not personal abuse.

#58 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

I really can't see the problem here. Don't we want to see the best rugby league players playing, and don't we as fans of a club, want to watch the best team our club can put out?

If Wigan wanted to send Sam Tomkins to Wakey for a month's loan, I wouldn't be moaning about team morale, that's what the coach gets paid for. I'd just be chuffed that a player like Sam Tomkins (rather than Richie Mathers - no offence!) would be playing full-back for my team.

How would you feel about the credibility of SL if Wigan bent the rules and supplied Cas with eleven players for certain games which meant that your team missed out on the top eight? Can you really not see a problem here in the Championship??
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#59 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,233 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:00 AM

How would you feel about the credibility of SL if Wigan bent the rules and supplied Cas with eleven players for certain games which meant that your team missed out on the top eight? Can you really not see a problem here in the Championship??

No team can turn out 11 DR players though can they so your scenario is just nonsense.

#60 plug

plug
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:01 AM

don't agree to any of the dr option wot about the lads who train with your team busting a gut trying to earn a starting spot only to find out that a so called sl frindge player gets his starting place just because he needs game time ???? its all wrong

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users