Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Worrying SL score margins

• Please log in to reply
217 replies to this topic

#181 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:25 PM

It's nice to see after 5 rounds every team has won at least once and lost at least once. Having a 6-point gap between top and bottom is reassuring, even though it is early days.

(Balls, it seems @scratchingshed2 got there before me on twitter, naymind I liked it too!)

Edited by hindle xiii, 03 March 2013 - 05:26 PM.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#182 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,290 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:54 PM

Its had me laughing for weeks, in fact it should be kept at the top of the page to cheer us all up over breakfast.

Can we petition to get it pinned? Then again, when Warrington beat London 100-0 Lobby will have the last laugh.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#183 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,730 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:14 PM

The touch judges will wave them away.

:D

Well it made me laugh.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#184 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

Well it made me laugh.

Only the clever ones are on my wavelength.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#185 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

... although it did take you 4 days.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#186 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,730 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:23 PM

... although it did take you 4 days.

Perhaps, not surprisingly, I haven't looked at this thread for a while.

So you can sod off too.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#187 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

Perhaps, not surprisingly, I haven't looked at this thread for a while.

So you can sod off too.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#188 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,642 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:27 PM

Score margins this weekend, apparently the time by which most lower-table teams will have given up because of no relegation.

Warrington-Widnes - 10
Hull-Salford - 5
Leeds-Hull KR - 4
London-Hudds - 14
Catalans-Wigan - 14
Cas-Bulls - 12
Wakey-Saints - 14

Doomed?

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#189 IM2

IM2
  • Coach
  • 894 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:40 PM

i know it makes an absolute laughing stock of the rationale for change doesnt it

Season Tickets 2014
- �85 - season ticket
- �125 - family ticket
- �30 - 4 game pack

skolars shop here:
http://www.skolarsrl.../match-tickets/

Haringey Team of the Year 2014 Skolars U19s

Haringey Club of the year 2011
London RL Club of the year 2011

Skolars if Carlsberg made rugby clubs! Perhaps Leagues most progressive club!

#190 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:45 PM

Score margins this weekend, apparently the time by which most lower-table teams will have given up because of no relegation.Warrington-Widnes - 10Hull-Salford - 5Leeds-Hull KR - 4London-Hudds - 14Catalans-Wigan - 14Cas-Bulls - 12Wakey-Saints - 14Doomed?

A snapshot that suits an argument. I'm sure there will be rounds where the opposite is true.

rldfsignature.jpg

#191 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:47 PM

Score margins this weekend, apparently the time by which most lower-table teams will have given up because of no relegation.

Warrington-Widnes - 10
Hull-Salford - 5
Leeds-Hull KR - 4
London-Hudds - 14
Catalans-Wigan - 14
Cas-Bulls - 12
Wakey-Saints - 14

Doomed?

So only two games within one converted score.

#192 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:51 PM

Warrington-Widnes - 10
Hull-Salford - 5
Leeds-Hull KR - 4
London-Hudds - 14
Catalans-Wigan - 14
Cas-Bulls - 12
Wakey-Saints - 14

Doomed?

Most of those teams did have something to play for though, including the likes of Salford (places for next season) and London (last match at home, possibly at Stoop, maybe anywhere).  I think only Widnes and Wakey didn't, unless you can include professional pride as motivation.  While I'm not a fan of P&R (due to the financial insecurities it raises), there is an imperative to win throughout the season, including once the play off teams have been sorted, in order to avoid the drop, so surely the rationale that overall there are likely to be more close games makes sense?

#193 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:17 PM

Most of those teams did have something to play for though, including the likes of Salford (places for next season) and London (last match at home, possibly at Stoop, maybe anywhere).  I think only Widnes and Wakey didn't, unless you can include professional pride as motivation.  While I'm not a fan of P&R (due to the financial insecurities it raises), there is an imperative to win throughout the season, including once the play off teams have been sorted, in order to avoid the drop, so surely the rationale that overall there are likely to be more close games makes sense?

No there isn't, many a team's relegation fate was known as early as they now now they won't make the play-offs.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#194 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:31 PM

Exactly

There might be 2 teams battling to avoid relegation, 2 teams fighting for the last playoff spot and all in between with nothing to play for and that's been the case for a couple of weeks

P&R changes nothing

#195 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:34 PM

Warrington-Widnes - 10
Hull-Salford - 5
Leeds-Hull KR - 4
London-Hudds - 14
Catalans-Wigan - 14
Cas-Bulls - 12
Wakey-Saints - 14

Doomed?

I wouldn't know because I'm not in the country, but how many of those fixtures were affected by rain? Wet conditions usually lead to much tighter games no matter which sides are playing. Cherry picking a weekend with wet fixtures doesn't prove that the league is still very competitive at this stage. I'm not saying your wrong, but the fixtures may not prove you right.

#196 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:42 PM

It was the latest round, that's hardly cherry picking is it?

And it's not like top teams haven't taken some beating this season

#197 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:32 PM

I wouldn't know because I'm not in the country, but how many of those fixtures were affected by rain? Wet conditions usually lead to much tighter games no matter which sides are playing. Cherry picking a weekend with wet fixtures doesn't prove that the league is still very competitive at this stage. I'm not saying your wrong, but the fixtures may not prove you right.

So hang on, by your theory, during the P&R period no fixtures were affected by rain????

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#198 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,964 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:33 PM

So hang on, by your theory, during the P&R period no fixtures were affected by rain????

It's well known that since moving to the summer we have played in far worse weather conditions and this have artificially levelled the competition.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#199 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:35 PM

It's well known that since moving to the summer we have played in far worse weather conditions and this have artificially levelled the competition.

Glad we sorted that one out.

#200 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:54 PM

Exactly

There might be 2 teams battling to avoid relegation, 2 teams fighting for the last playoff spot and all in between with nothing to play for and that's been the case for a couple of weeks

P&R changes nothing

well that depends on how you want to position your argument.

In the 8/8/8 structure you have to avoid missing the cut, and then you have another couple of months to avoid the next cut. There is in effect a double round of relegation.

Whether people like it or not, it is pretty easy to make a good argument for the 3*8 option leading to more crucial games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users