Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Worrying SL score margins

• Please log in to reply
217 replies to this topic

#21 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 980 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

But RL should also be about closely fought contests otherwise it also becomes a borefest

You thought the Leeds/Hull game last night was a borefest? It was the best standard for an opening game of the season that I have seen in some time. Yes, Leeds won by 30 in the end, but the game was in the balance for 3/4 of it. I was thoroughly entertained, and I know you can say that is easy to say being a Leeds fan, but even at 6-6 I was thinking how good of a contest it had been.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#22 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

Less than 24 hours into the new season and we have this old chestnut again. No wonder our game struggles to market itself when its own fans do it down at every opportunity. In this case, the opportunity didn't even exist and had to be contrived.

With more respect than the post deserves, in union a side which is tiring gets plenty of time for rest and recuperation; in league they don't. As they tire, they have to make more and more tackles, so they get more and more tired. It's a vicious circle and it's hard to break out of. In union, they only have to wait a minute or two for the next scrum, lineout or ruck and they can all have a breather for a minute or so. That's one reason why union is so boring.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#23 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

But RL should also be about closely fought contests otherwise it also becomes a borefest

i like tight games but lets not forget some low scoring games have been total rubbish
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#24 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

i like tight games but lets not forget some low scoring games have been total rubbish

Exactly! It's not the quantity of points that matters, it's the quality of the game.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#25 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,109 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

Given that we're discussing the relative closeness and interest of Super League and the 6N can this be moved to Cross-Code where it belongs.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#26 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

Less than 24 hours into the new season and we have this old chestnut again. No wonder our game struggles to market itself when its own fans do it down at every opportunity. In this case, the opportunity didn't even exist and had to be contrived.

With more respect than the post deserves, in union a side which is tiring gets plenty of time for rest and recuperation; in league they don't. As they tire, they have to make more and more tackles, so they get more and more tired. It's a vicious circle and it's hard to break out of. In union, they only have to wait a minute or two for the next scrum, lineout or ruck and they can all have a breather for a minute or so. That's one reason why union is so boring.

Thats a very good summation on Union, like it a lot. Last night's match; well, I too thought that for threequarters of the match it was exactly that, until the dropped ball that resulted in leeds getting a scrum in the second half, I also thought that Hull were even beginning to look the better side and looked the team most likely to score for most of that first twenty minutes of the second half.
But once the stalemate was broken, Hull like so many times last year went totally out of it and could no longer cope.

Which is why I thought that Tony XIIIs description of a very distinct difference between onion and League was a very accurate one indeed.

#27 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,037 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

Given that we're discussing the relative closeness and interest of Super League and the 6N can this be moved to Cross-Code where it belongs.

Maybe here:
Posted Image

#28 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

Well we've had two opening SL games, both of which were high score margins. This is not good for RL.

We'll probably see close score margins in the Six Nations to make matters worse. People will forgive the fact that the games will be boring.

Is it time to start looking at ways of making scores closer e.g. by reducing to 10m rule? Even if it is at the cost of a more open game...

You need to get out in the Sun, it works wonders.

#29 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

You thought the Leeds/Hull game last night was a borefest? It was the best standard for an opening game of the season that I have seen in some time. Yes, Leeds won by 30 in the end, but the game was in the balance for 3/4 of it. I was thoroughly entertained, and I know you can say that is easy to say being a Leeds fan, but even at 6-6 I was thinking how good of a contest it had been.

Excellent summary. If you had been there you have seen it was not a blow out. Neither side looked as rusty as in past first games. Things can look different on the Tele.

All i would add to the above is that Hull appeared to me to be on top in the third quarter.

Cracking entertainment.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#30 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,109 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

Maybe here:
Posted Image

I was being kind.

Lobby's ultimate goal is the 'reunification' of league and union so he can watch Leigh grind out 3-0 wins in the mud against Old Boggerations.
- Severus, July 2012

#31 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

Bit early. Groundhog Day is February 2nd, not the1st.

Not long now till the 'cancelling sky' thread...........
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#32 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,796 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

I was being kind.

Lobby's ultimate goal is the 'reunification' of league and union so he can watch Leigh grind out 3-0 wins in the mud against Old Boggerations.

I'd personally prefer to watch a 3-0 game of RL than a 56-26 game.

I've seen some very good low scoring games in days gone by. A 0-0 Hull v Fax game springs to mind.....

#33 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

We can definitely extrapolate the whole season from last nights two fixtures. I think they should just call it a day now, we can make up the rest in our heads.

#34 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,462 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

Well, whoever said there could be close scores in the 6 Nations is a bit wide of the mark in the first game of the comp so far anyway.

#35 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

so 1 penalty and a drop goal then . fair enough that could either be exciting or boring but i wouldnt want to see that scoreline every week

#36 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

Well we've had two opening SL games, both of which were high score margins. This is not good for RL.

We'll probably see close score margins in the Six Nations to make matters worse. People will forgive the fact that the games will be boring.

Is it time to start looking at ways of making scores closer e.g. by reducing to 10m rule? Even if it is at the cost of a more open game...

If you're using the two games so far, then the obvious solution is to end the second half after 60 minutes.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#37 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

If you're using the two games so far, then the obvious solution is to end the second half after 60 minutes.

but the second half only lasts 40 mins . mind you extending it to 60 mins could be interesting

#38 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,109 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

I've seen some very good low scoring games in days gone by. A 0-0 Hull v Fax game springs to mind.....

As I never tire of saying, one of the best games I ever saw finished 0-0. One of the worst I ever saw finished 7-0.

In the summer at amateur level I've seen some very exciting games that have finished with scores like 42-40.
- Severus, July 2012

#39 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

but the second half only lasts 40 mins . mind you extending it to 60 mins could be interesting

Oh balls. Then I meant 20 minutes!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#40 brooza

brooza
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

Oh balls. Then I meant 20 minutes!

But 20 minutes into the game it's still the first half!
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users