League Express Digital-Only Easter Edition Out Now!

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Worrying SL score margins

• Please log in to reply
217 replies to this topic

#81 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,648 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

I'm sure in your way you will see this as some sort of victory until I do the decent thing and point out the original post was a light hearted comment not designed to be over analysed for a cheap "victory".

Comments like these were tiresome a while back. Now they are just coming across as stupid. Padge hasn't hit on a bit of whinging here, he's poking holes at a bit of light hearted banter between like minded fans.

Oh FFS, you seem to be way over analyzing my reply, which in itself was a light hearted rebuff.

It took no time t

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending to be hurt, rugby players spend 80 minutes pretending they haven't been hurt.

#82 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,172 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

You cared enough to go and do a google search eh though Padge ;)

#83 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,648 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

You cared enough to go and do a google search eh though Padge ;)

Google had F'all to do with it. :rolleyes:

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending to be hurt, rugby players spend 80 minutes pretending they haven't been hurt.

#84 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,172 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

ok stato......

#85 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

Good thread this.
Posted Image

#86 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

What is worrying is how people thing the NRL is actually entertaining?

#87 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,199 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

Yes, I thought that, too. After all, there were only 82,976 bored Aussies at the 2012 Grand Final and only a cumulative TV audience of 128 million bored Aussies in 2011

#88 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:52 PM

What is worrying is how people thing the NRL is actually entertaining?

What is worrying is that there are so many people who are so against the NRL they wont take off their blinkers and enjoy what is a great and thoroughly entertaining competition!

What is also worrying is that there are so many people that are of the opinion that the NRL is untouchable and graced by superhumans. There is a huge amount of quality in Super League that would walk in to many NRL teams.

I love both competitions, think they are both entertaining, and dont see why people cant just appreciate both without the need to denigrate one over the other.

#89 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

Maybe your memory isn't too good

2009 season a few scores.

40 - 18
46 - 16
88 - 0
70 - 0
40 - 18
44 - 18
46 - 22
78 - 4
42 - 16
58 - 10

Not sure what your point is Padge?

#90 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

What is worrying is that there are so many people who are so against the NRL they wont take off their blinkers and enjoy what is a great and thoroughly entertaining competition!

What is also worrying is that there are so many people that are of the opinion that the NRL is untouchable and graced by superhumans. There is a huge amount of quality in Super League that would walk in to many NRL teams.

I love both competitions, think they are both entertaining, and dont see why people cant just appreciate both without the need to denigrate one over the other.

+1

#91 gavin7094

gavin7094
  • Coach
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

I think people are over analysing what is a relatively simple point which is that scores seem to be generally high nowadays. In the 1970s I attended York games with my dad. Every week the club held a predict the score competition which he entered. He always used the same score, 15-8. That was in the days of the 3 point try so would be 18-10 now, I.e. 3 tries and 3 goals plays 2 tries and 1 goal. This seemed a perfectly sensible prediction to me at the time. It was fairly typical. Nowadays he'd be trying to predict 34-32 or 46-4.
Rule changes have made some of the difference - 10 yards at the ptb, the 40-20 and playing in Summer has contributed. Also, the overwhelming number of tries scored from kicks, which were really quite rare then. However, part of it is players' attitudes. No need to defend too well as long as we score a lot too. Malcolm Reilly once said something similar. He just couldn't understand how teams could permit so many scores against them nowadays.

#92 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:51 PM

There's no dignity in plastic seats

#93 brooza

brooza
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

These scorelines are getting ridiculous now

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos and St Albans Centurions fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade, Dragones de la Sierra and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#94 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:43 AM

These scorelines are getting ridiculous now

You think one draw between two of the best teams makes it all hunky dory? The average SL score margin is still an enormous 22.5 over all 8 games. Only one game has been within a converted try and that was the game yesterday.

Edited by Lobbygobbler, 09 February 2013 - 07:50 AM.

#95 brooza

brooza
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:23 AM

You think one draw between two of the best teams makes it all hunky dory? The average SL score margin is still an enormous 22.5 over all 8 games. Only one game has been within a converted try and that was the game yesterday.

You thought that 2 large scores on the opening night made everything terrible

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos and St Albans Centurions fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade, Dragones de la Sierra and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#96 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

You thought that 2 large scores on the opening night made everything terrible

The score margins have been increasing for some time - they should be decreasing. If they arent then Houston, we have a problem. Fans want close games

#97 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,544 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:22 AM

The score margins have been increasing for some time - they should be decreasing. If they arent then Houston, we have a problem. Fans want close games

so why have crowds and viewing figures been increasing?

#98 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,859 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

I'm not too bothered if some games aren't 'close'. I'm a fan. You purport to speak for 'fans'. Is that 'all fans', 'a few fans that you know' or just 'yourself'?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#99 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

so why have crowds and viewing figures been increasing?

More people getting sky in general (an upward long term trend)
Better stadia
More geographical spread of RL at grass roots

#100 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,544 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

More people getting sky in general (an upward long term trend)
Better stadia
More geographical spread of RL at grass roots

so maybe the closeness of games isnt the highest priority for most?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users