Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Swinton feeder club

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 LionessTaz

LionessTaz
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

"The squad includes nine new signings and seven players returning from last season." quoted from the Club site on the post about the 3 d/rs including Paul Wood...and we are a 21 player squad 2 names missing off the list i take it due to injury...

#22 iomlion

iomlion
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

No one is forced to follow any team or sport.

If you don't like something to the extent it is making you as angry and bitter as it is on here.....no one in particular......then I would suggest for your own health it may be as well to move on, as sad as it is.

If you can run the club in the Utopian way some people seem to want then either buy the club or start your own.

I appreciate the DR issues but believe the club have no other realistic choice in order to survive, and that is what it is all about. The rest will follow, hopefully.

I just expect every player in a Swinton jersey to give 100% for Swinton while on the pitch and if they don't DR or signed, they should go, simple as.

#23 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

Holy and Julian you are both entitled to do what you have and I hope it has satisfied your distress.
So far as I can see no RL rule has been broken by Swinton and I doubt therefore you will get the response you want.
It is however very sad when spectators of the club wait until three days before our first league game to register their feelings both on here and now with the RL, where were these comments at the various meetings held with the club when everyone had a chance to air any concerns. Talk about upsetting the apple cart.

#24 iomlion

iomlion
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

Don't know who hilly is, and not overly interested but I have to question the motive and reason for the majority of posts, Julian has always, rightly got an opinion on a variety of issues.

I too question the timing but that's free speech, maybe the info on this very forum has poked him in to action.

#25 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 365 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

Haven4ever good job you didn't take those saints players eh? They don't look like they are up to speed just yet going off tonights result.:D

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#26 GLENNGARY

GLENNGARY
  • Coach
  • 232 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

Julion Caine and Hilly what can I say, Here goes how dare you call yourselves Swinton fans.You are a disgrace can you not see the damage you can cause the club with your stupidity. THERE ARE THREE D/RS IN THE SQUAD ON SUNDAY, mcarthy woods laithwaite .The rest of the so called d/rs have signed on contract making them Swinton players for the next 12 months just like the other players that have signed like Ballard from barrow,Barlow from Halifax etc.All the Swinton players will be on 12 month contracts just the same and can move on at the end of ther contracts just the same.Because thev'e come as a group from one club so what, as far as i'm concerned as soon as they put on a Swinton jersey and put in the effort they areSwinton players. The rugby league council allowed super league and championship teams to team up and Swinton have taken advantage of this. I believe that to be forward thinking not backward and as the season wears on it should even out as the players not getting game time will up there game and if they don't they have nothing to complain about. To Big tony with the crowds that we get we can't compete with the Rvers ,Faxs ,Centurions of this world for the cream of the players so we struggle to recruit.Surely this is one way of putting out a team able to compete in this league and doing it legalyunder the auspices of the rugby league. Just remember long gone are the days when players spent there whole careers at one club ie, Ken Gowers players today have no loaltyto any one club and follow the money which makes it very hard for the small clubs to survive. Caine and Hilly I don't believe you to be true fans and don't believe you watch many matches, but i suggest you take your knife out of Swintons back ,go along and cheer on Swinton ,yes Swinton enjoy the game and help the lions to flourish once again.

#27 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

Well said Glenngary,absolutely disgraceful action by both of them. Mr Caine does have a nasty habit of trying to be sensationalist.

#28 The Vet

The Vet
  • Coach
  • 828 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

The rest of the so called d/rs have signed on contract making them Swinton players for the next 12 months just like the other players that have signed like Ballard from barrow,Barlow from Halifax etc.All the Swinton players will be on 12 month contracts just the same and can move on at the end of ther contracts just the same.

So these D/R players no longer train through the day with Warrington and have given up there full time salary because they are now Swinton players?

Posted Image

This My Friend Is A Broom-Handled Mouser

#29 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:32 PM

All Championship clubs will remain feeder clubs as long as there is no p/r. If ANY CC club has a player good enough to play SL, they will go, end of.

Maybe we should have a full squad of 25 lads from Swinton...it won't happen. Have a look at the Higson transfer last season. Was that any different? We're you raising issue then? We must have had at least 7 lads from Leigh last year, where were the comments then?

Riley was with us last season, he played well and we gave him a massive chance of impressing at cc level, why wouldn't he come here again this year?

Karl Ashall signed from Saints a few years back and has now been given a chance at Fax. Al Hurst came through Warrington's youth set up, spent two years with us and has signed for London. He's from Swinton, are we also a feeder club for London or the Saints B team. It's all nonsense talk. Not one cc club will play this season with no SL experience, if you do, good luck, but you'll be playing Oxford next year.

#30 HOLYMOLY

HOLYMOLY
  • Coach
  • 228 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

No one is forced to follow any team or sport.

If you don't like something to the extent it is making you as angry and bitter as it is on here.....no one in particular......then I would suggest for your own health it may be as well to move on, as sad as it is.

If you can run the club in the Utopian way some people seem to want then either buy the club or start your own.

I appreciate the DR issues but believe the club have no other realistic choice in order to survive, and that is what it is all about. The rest will follow, hopefully.

I just expect every player in a Swinton jersey to give 100% for Swinton while on the pitch and if they don't DR or signed, they should go, simple as.

"The rest will follow" What!! Do me a favour,I've never heard anything so pathetic.

#31 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

All Championship clubs will remain feeder clubs as long as there is no p/r. If ANY CC club has a player good enough to play SL, they will go, end of.

Maybe we should have a full squad of 25 lads from Swinton...it won't happen. Have a look at the Higson transfer last season. Was that any different? We're you raising issue then? We must have had at least 7 lads from Leigh last year, where were the comments then?

Riley was with us last season, he played well and we gave him a massive chance of impressing at cc level, why wouldn't he come here again this year?

Karl Ashall signed from Saints a few years back and has now been given a chance at Fax. Al Hurst came through Warrington's youth set up, spent two years with us and has signed for London. He's from Swinton, are we also a feeder club for London or the Saints B team. It's all nonsense talk. Not one cc club will play this season with no SL experience, if you do, good luck, but you'll be playing Oxford next year.

Brilliant. Well said.

#32 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

So are we saying that as Swinton fans we are happy to be a feeder club as this is the way game is going? I would be quite happy with the situation if the six lads who originally signed as DRs have given up their presumably full time contracts to sign for us.

Edited by duffymoon, 02 February 2013 - 08:56 PM.

#33 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

All cc clubs are feeder clubs to SL clubs. If they are good enough they will sign for a SL club.

Who was that lad at Warrington voted player of the year? Chris Hill. How many more examples do I need to give? Did Widnes gain their license and keep all of their 5th placed cc players? No, they bought SL standard players and retained a few.

#34 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

So are we saying that as Swinton fans we are happy to be a feeder club as this is the way game is going? I would be quite happy with the situation if the six lads who originally signed as DRs have given up their presumably full time contracts to sign for us.

Im saying I'm happy to see what happens.
I think us dictating how young lads progress their future and earn their money isnt for me to say.
I was talking to a dad of one of our players at the Salford game. His lad just wanted to play rugby.
I just want to watch it.

#35 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

Oh, and I fail to see he significance of Haven not accepting a playerthat's been in a GF. Mark Smith's got a challenge cup winners medal, and Chris Morley had a SL winners medal. Brilliant, what does that count for if you're playing for a cc club now?

FAir play to Haven, I hope you put out a 100% Cumbrian team his year and go and win the GF. You certainly used a fair few Lancs players last season. How will you feel if you end up in cc1 having rejected every player in saints' first team? Great principles, but as I said earlier, you'll be playing Oxford in 2014.

#36 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

That's fine Mark ,I was quite happy with the DR arrangement as it was explained at the meeting at Swinton Legion in October.My gripe is with the six DRs being afforded permanent deals to facilitate Wood,McCarthy and Laithwaite playing tomorrow particularly at such a late stage.Still fine as long as they have severed links with Warrington and are not being paid by them.I fully appreciate those fans that want te very best players pulling on a Swinton jersey under any circumstances and will support them whatever.At this moment in time I'm wrestling with my conscience ,it is distressing to say the least.I am very passionate about this club as anyone who knows me will testify but this doesn't sit right with me.

#37 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

Don't worry lads, I'll play on the wing on Saturday, being from Swinton and all. Maybe Barnie in the centres, Mark at hooker, Phill H at full back and Duffy our bulldozing prop forward. We'll need a few more though, any takers?

#38 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

Dave if only we could all put our feelings across like that without having a paddy. I know I struggle.
I know you're passionate. We all are.
I reckon we'll both be hoarse come 440 tomorrow.
By the way these 3 pm kickoffs are rubbish for me. Im in work at 6pm
At least you're happy at that!

#39 bigtony

bigtony
  • Coach
  • 122 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:56 PM

Julion Caine and Hilly what can I say, Here goes how dare you call yourselves Swinton fans.You are a disgrace can you not see the damage you can cause the club with your stupidity. THERE ARE THREE D/RS IN THE SQUAD ON SUNDAY, mcarthy woods laithwaite .The rest of the so called d/rs have signed on contract making them Swinton players for the next 12 months just like the other players that have signed like Ballard from barrow,Barlow from Halifax etc.All the Swinton players will be on 12 month contracts just the same and can move on at the end of ther contracts just the same.Because thev'e come as a group from one club so what, as far as i'm concerned as soon as they put on a Swinton jersey and put in the effort they areSwinton players. The rugby league council allowed super league and championship teams to team up and Swinton have taken advantage of this. I believe that to be forward thinking not backward and as the season wears on it should even out as the players not getting game time will up there game and if they don't they have nothing to complain about. To Big tony with the crowds that we get we can't compete with the Rvers ,Faxs ,Centurions of this world for the cream of the players so we struggle to recruit.Surely this is one way of putting out a team able to compete in this league and doing it legalyunder the auspices of the rugby league. Just remember long gone are the days when players spent there whole careers at one club ie, Ken Gowers players today have no loaltyto any one club and follow the money which makes it very hard for the small clubs to survive. Caine and Hilly I don't believe you to be true fans and don't believe you watch many matches, but i suggest you take your knife out of Swintons back ,go along and cheer on Swinton ,yes Swinton enjoy the game and help the lions to flourish once again.

Im not having a go at swinton more rfl, swinton as ive said before are just using the dr system to the max my worry is where will it end because each year since it was brought in the rfl have added more to it to benefit the sl clubs and i feel the end result will be a feeder club system like they do in oz

#40 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:36 AM

Don't worry lads, I'll play on the wing on Saturday, being from Swinton and all. Maybe Barnie in the centres, Mark at hooker, Phill H at full back and Duffy our bulldozing prop forward. We'll need a few more though, any takers?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users